Author Topic: 'He is like me': Trump explains why Sanders would be his toughest opponent  (Read 344 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
'He is like me': Trump explains why Sanders would be his toughest opponent
by Rob Crilly
 | February 24, 2020 12:35 PM

President Trump predicted that the congested Democratic nomination race will go all the way to the party’s convention and that Bernie Sanders could prove the toughest opponent to beat in a general election.

Speaking to reporters during his flight to see the Taj Mahal in Agra, India, he said Sanders would offer the stiffest test.

“I actually think he would be tougher than most of the other candidates because he is like me, but I have a much bigger base,” he said.

Sanders is leading polls in the race for the nomination. He also has proven more adept at attracting followers on social media than his rivals, a strength he shares with Trump.

Supporters say he is bringing new and infrequent voters into the political process. And his energetic followers also turn out in numbers for his rallies — another feature of Trump’s success.

The result is a rash of media think pieces comparing two insurgent candidates who ran far from the party's mainstream to try to clinch the nomination, who both like to say "yuuuuge," and who share a populist skepticism for conventional thinking on free trade.

Jeanne Zaino, professor of political science at Iona College, said the comparisons overlooked a crucial difference.

"Sanders has been in Congress an awfully long time, and he was an elected official before that. Although Bernie Sanders might not be the establishment favorite, unlike Trump, he is not coming from outside Washington by any stretch of the imagination."

more
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/he-is-like-me-trump-explains-why-sanders-would-be-his-toughest-opponent
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline LMAO

Re: 'He is like me': Trump explains why Sanders would be his toughest opponent
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2020, 05:59:43 pm »
 This actually could be Trump acknowledging that he cannot take anything for granted.  Bernie Sanders and his past and his current plans for the country are going to receive a lot more scrutiny. But that isn’t going to be enough. So it sounds to me that Donald Trump is willing to fight for his presidency
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy