Author Topic: Dow Jones plummets 900 points as coronavirus cases surge  (Read 4080 times)

Offline musiclady

Re: Dow Jones plummets 900 points as coronavirus cases surge
« Reply #75 on: February 28, 2020, 05:00:55 pm »
I am SO thankful our retirement money is out of the market temporarily!
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #76 on: February 28, 2020, 05:02:47 pm »
Oh the market looks good if you can afford to buy and sell.  Doesn't look so good if you aren't rich, you're retired and your retirement savings are losing thousands every day.

I know he's trying to fight off the panic, but it has already set in and his words aren't inspiring a whole lot of confidence for the average retiree.
the fallacy is that investments are NOT the same as savings.

Investments are invariably at-risk, hence the higher return compared to savings accounts.

Never place any money in the stock market you cannot afford to totally lose.

Stick to savings or at most, bonds.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #77 on: February 28, 2020, 05:06:05 pm »

Same here! 
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

« Reply #78 on: February 28, 2020, 05:06:46 pm »
The market is going to sell off as long as those invested sell.  The gains are nearly erased and there is nothing positive to stop the sell off.  Two things always drive the market; fear and greed.  Right now we have fear.

Because this has affected the 2nd largest economy in the world, it's bound to affect the U.S., possibly and looking more like we are heading into a global recession -- that is unknown territory.  In the long run perhaps we may see that U.S. economy as one of the only viable economies left, provided that Trump remains in office.  Bernie gets in and there won't be any recovery, we'll be another Venezuela ... exactly what Soros and the rest of the globalists want ... that's suits some in this forum just fine, but they'll regret their wish.

With the corruption and the underhandedness from the left, IMHO, Trump's re-election was NEVER certain.  Never.
What 'gains' are you describing that are 'nearly erased'?

I have been in the market 30+ years and seen a tenfold increase in investments, including dividends.

No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
« Reply #79 on: February 28, 2020, 05:09:32 pm »
the fallacy is that investments are NOT the same as savings.

Investments are invariably at-risk, hence the higher return compared to savings accounts.

Stick to savings or at most, bonds.

Bonds right now?  Did you notice the rates on long bonds today?  30 Year- 1.67%. 10 Year- 1.17%.

To me thats even a bigger shock than this equity correction.  For those retirees adding or repositioning their funds,  what seemed easy to get as a 2 or 3% CD or Bond has evaporated  quickly.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #80 on: February 28, 2020, 05:28:50 pm »
I wonder if the Left even realizes or cares for that matter that while they are using the #CoronavirusOutbreak to crash the stock market, that their actions affect the Thrift Savings Plans (Military 401K's) of everyone in uniform right now. Not great way to get the military vote.

I'm 6 months out from hanging it up and this isn't doing anything good for my Roth IRA...granted it's not some 6-7 figure monstrosity...but still.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #81 on: February 28, 2020, 05:49:03 pm »
musiclady wrote:
"I am SO thankful our retirement money is out of the market temporarily!"

And I Sailed wrote:
"the fallacy is that investments are NOT the same as savings.
Stick to savings or at most, bonds."

OK, folks, I'm gonna play the devil's advocate here.
Remember all that talk from "the right" about "privatizing" Social Security?
And creating "individual accounts" in the stock market, or someplace?
Well, how good does such an idea look right now?
It would be just too easy to see too many folks' "futures" go up in smoke, or get "consumed by a virus" -- such as is goin' on right now.

Because -- just as I Sailed has told us -- "investments" are NOT "the same as savings". And should not be treated as such.

This is why Social Security is here to stay, and also why any attempts by the Pubbies to "fix it" may result in their being voted out, just as happened after G.W. raised the subject back after the 2004 elections...

« Reply #82 on: February 28, 2020, 06:05:21 pm »
Bonds right now?  Did you notice the rates on long bonds today?  30 Year- 1.67%. 10 Year- 1.17%.

To me thats even a bigger shock than this equity correction.  For those retirees adding or repositioning their funds,  what seemed easy to get as a 2 or 3% CD or Bond has evaporated  quickly.
In the long game, bonds are fine.

What one should concentrate on in savings is preservation of capital

I am retired, and I need to treat a bucket of funds that way, with another bucket as investment, ie at risk.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #83 on: February 28, 2020, 06:07:53 pm »

Been out of stocks since Obama was elected and never regretted it.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #84 on: February 28, 2020, 06:16:15 pm »
Been out of stocks since Obama was elected and never regretted it.

I put a lot into Large Equity Growth stocks when he got elected.  I figured the bigs are better situated than the smalls, to survive the massive new regulations we all knew were coming.  It paid very well.  I got out of all that last year, when I retired.  It's stupid to keep your money in growth funds when your investment target horizon is staring you in the face.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

« Reply #85 on: February 28, 2020, 06:23:47 pm »
I put a lot into Large Equity Growth stocks when he got elected.  I figured the bigs are better situated than the smalls, to survive the massive new regulations we all knew were coming.  It paid very well.  I got out of all that last year, when I retired.  It's stupid to keep your money in growth funds when your investment target horizon is staring you in the face.
A good strategy.

Know your goals and execute without getting greedy.

I keep some at risk as over the long haul, is better return.

But will not miss any of that should things go to pot, like electing Bernie

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
« Reply #86 on: February 28, 2020, 06:28:10 pm »
In the long game, bonds are fine.

What one should concentrate on in savings is preservation of capital

I am retired, and I need to treat a bucket of funds that way, with another bucket as investment, ie at risk.

Same here, except my wife likes to play the "5 yr game" with CD's and their renewals on part of our portfolio.  She timed this one pretty well, but a couple a cycles ago, (around the '09 crash) she had a boat load that renewed low based on that timing.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #87 on: February 28, 2020, 06:46:53 pm »
I’m trying to stay optimistic d
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline catfish1957

« Reply #88 on: February 28, 2020, 06:50:40 pm »
Saw a Barrons snipit a few minutes ago that the Chicoms made a huge oil order on a sub $45/ bbl transaction.

Hmmmm....

Offline libertybele

« Reply #89 on: February 28, 2020, 06:59:37 pm »
I’m trying to stay optimistic d

Yes, trying to stay optimistic as well. We've been invested for over 25 years -- every time we've sold, the market has perked back up.  So I've learned to stay put.  This feels different.  The market isn't just losing hundreds of pts. but thousands and not just for a day or two but for a week. 

Talked to our advisor again -- trimmed a little more of our stocks to preserve some gains -- some of our funds have some bonds in them, so hanging on to those right now.  U.S.economy is still solid for now.

Concern is that there is no positive new on the horizon and gold is going down as well.

« Last Edit: February 28, 2020, 07:06:09 pm by libertybele »
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline catfish1957

« Reply #90 on: February 28, 2020, 07:53:15 pm »
Yes, trying to stay optimistic as well. We've been invested for over 25 years -- every time we've sold, the market has perked back up.  So I've learned to stay put.  This feels different.  The market isn't just losing hundreds of pts. but thousands and not just for a day or two but for a week. 

I have been at this , on an obsession level basis for 40 years.  I track, research, and parse, compare these things to death.
Maybe the best advise I ever got was "Jump in when everyone else is on a stampede to the exits". This served me fantastically in '87, '01, and '09. 

No one is  sure of the bottom.  Since I am retired, my exuberance is a little subuded,  in deference toward more fixed income vehicles.    I will go on record though, that the rally after the '09 crash is probably, (repeat probably with disclaimer) that the  worst floor we will see on this crash  (additonal 50%.). In any case, I am already bargain hunting.  Addtions to my energy sector portfolio is peakiing my interest.  Some big names there, are already under their '09 crash levels, and yielding 3-6% divys.     

And again, folks....  like others have said....    Don't invest with money you need to live on.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #91 on: February 28, 2020, 07:56:59 pm »
I have been at this , on an obsession level basis for 40 years.  I track, research, and parse, compare these things to death.
Maybe the best advise I ever got was "Jump in when everyone else is on a stampede to the exits". This served me fantastically in '87, '01, and '09. 

No one is  sure of the bottom.  Since I am retired, my exuberance is a little subuded,  in deference toward more fixed income vehicles.    I will go on record though, that the rally after the '09 crash is probably, (repeat probably with disclaimer) that the  worst floor we will see on this crash  (additonal 50%.). In any case, I am already bargain hunting.  Addtions to my energy sector portfolio is peakiing my interest.  Some big names there, are already under their '09 crash levels, and yielding 3-6% divys.     

And again, folks....  like others have said....    Don't invest with money you need to live on.

A very solid strategy IMHO  @catfish1957 
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #92 on: February 28, 2020, 08:44:18 pm »
Posted on
 June 21, 2018 by Zach
Here’s How Long the Stock Market has Historically Taken to Recover from Drops

https://fourpillarfreedom.com/heres-how-long-the-stock-market-has-historically-taken-to-recover-from-drops/

It is worth your time to research the history.

Ask yourself, if you even need the funds soon?  If not, when will you need them?

What other funds could be tapped, besides volatile stock market invested funds?

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #93 on: February 28, 2020, 09:11:30 pm »
Though the market was down big from yesterday, most of that was on the overnight.

It held it's own today, and there was some decent buying at the very end, but overall pretty weak.

I don't see this as a reversal by any means, yet.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #94 on: February 28, 2020, 09:38:09 pm »
Decent "recovery", stocks closed down "only" 357 or so...  ;)

Oil down to $45 !

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #95 on: February 28, 2020, 11:48:54 pm »
Decent "recovery", stocks closed down "only" 357 or so...  ;)

Oil down to $45 !
Both will rebound. It'd be interesting to see who bought what contracts and futures and made a killing. (Are the Chinese manipulating markets with the panic? Is Soros?)
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #96 on: March 02, 2020, 03:37:48 pm »
Stock market- both Dow and NASDAQ are up today
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️