Author Topic: Dow Jones plummets 900 points as coronavirus cases surge  (Read 4317 times)

Offline Applewood

Re: Dow Jones plummets 900 points as coronavirus cases surge
« Reply #50 on: February 27, 2020, 09:17:54 pm »
Dow plunges nearly 1,200 points to close in correction territory

Stocks ended sharply lower again after a volatile session Thursday as traders worried the coronavirus might be spreading in the U.S. A slew of corporate and analyst warnings on the virus also dragged down the major averages.

The Dow closed down nearly 12,00 points. The S&P 500 sank 4.1%, while the Nasdaq plunged 4.3%. The Dow is now on pace for its worst weekly performance since the financial crisis.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/markets/stocks/ar-BB10rty7?ocid=spartanntp

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #51 on: February 27, 2020, 09:23:16 pm »
 :thud:
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline libertybele

Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #53 on: February 27, 2020, 09:33:46 pm »
Putting my money under the mattress is looking better and better. 

I'm kidding.  Sort of.

Offline MeganC

• I'm the same MeganC from Free Republic.
« Reply #54 on: February 27, 2020, 09:36:18 pm »
Oh. My. Goodness.

I made the mistake of looking at my Fidelity account.  8888crybaby
There is nothing feminine about feminism.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #55 on: February 27, 2020, 09:45:45 pm »
Oh. My. Goodness.

I made the mistake of looking at my Fidelity account.  8888crybaby

We've been invested in the market since 1993 and have been on all kinds of market roller coaster rides.  This has to be the absolute scariest...another drop and I'll be puking.   :3:

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #56 on: February 27, 2020, 10:17:28 pm »
This is why I don't like brokers and other so-called financial experts. They don't know jack how the market works and certainly can't trade the tops and bottoms.

Their only advice is 'buy and hold!' which sounds great till you realize it took 5+ years to break even after the last crash.

Hang on to your hats. The market is still sinking after hours, and I don't see evidence we've hit a selling climax.

Tommorow could be a doozy.
The Republic is lost.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
« Reply #57 on: February 27, 2020, 10:24:19 pm »
This is why I don't like brokers and other so-called financial experts. They don't know jack how the market works and certainly can't trade the tops and bottoms.

Their only advice is 'buy and hold!' which sounds great till you realize it took 5+ years to break even after the last crash.

Hang on to your hats. The market is still sinking after hours, and I don't see evidence we've hit a selling climax.

Wish I was 25 yrs old, with about a little wad of about $100K in reserve right now.  Man this would an opportunity.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #58 on: February 27, 2020, 10:35:26 pm »
Dow's point drop worst on record as stocks fall into correction
https://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/us-stocks-feb27-2020
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Offline libertybele

« Reply #59 on: February 27, 2020, 10:36:59 pm »

Futures are showing a 1,300 pt. drop tomorrow.   There is absolutely nothing positive out there to stop the market from continuing to plummet.  :crying:

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
« Reply #60 on: February 27, 2020, 10:42:39 pm »
Futures are showing a 1,300 pt. drop tomorrow.   There is absolutely nothing positive out there to stop the market from continuing to plummet.  :crying:

Today DJIA closed at 25,766.64

Dow futures at this exact second- 25,535.

Where are you seeing this 1,300 drop?
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
« Reply #61 on: February 27, 2020, 10:42:57 pm »

A 2000 point or more drop tomorrow would not shock me.

Which might not be a bad thing. The market needs to find the bottom with a little drama, and stabilize. The days of just steady pounding we've had the last week are far more scary.
The Republic is lost.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #62 on: February 27, 2020, 10:54:13 pm »

I call them skimmers as the way they make money is to skim it off of yours, without risk.

Nothing too bad happening as the days of being all-in on equities are way past me.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #63 on: February 28, 2020, 12:38:56 am »
How many successive days of 1,000 point drops can be sustained?
Could the government just put the kibosh on it and order the markets closed until further notice?

Totally off-the-wall comment:
Still think this election is gonna be a runaway for Mr. Trump...?
Even against Komrade Bernie...?

Offline libertybele

« Reply #64 on: February 28, 2020, 12:57:43 am »
Could the government just put the kibosh on it and order the markets closed until further notice?

The market is going to sell off as long as those invested sell.  The gains are nearly erased and there is nothing positive to stop the sell off.  Two things always drive the market; fear and greed.  Right now we have fear.

Because this has affected the 2nd largest economy in the world, it's bound to affect the U.S., possibly and looking more like we are heading into a global recession -- that is unknown territory.  In the long run perhaps we may see that U.S. economy as one of the only viable economies left, provided that Trump remains in office.  Bernie gets in and there won't be any recovery, we'll be another Venezuela ... exactly what Soros and the rest of the globalists want ... that's suits some in this forum just fine, but they'll regret their wish.

With the corruption and the underhandedness from the left, IMHO, Trump's re-election was NEVER certain.  Never.

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #65 on: February 28, 2020, 01:22:01 am »

@Fishrrman
The fund managers will get tired of sitting on the side and will start buying soon.  They cannot make any money unless it is invested and you don't lose anything unless you sell.The media will tire of whipping up the hysteria to sell more advertising and we will move on to something else and get back to "normal"
Russia, Russia, Russia then it was impeach impeach impeach, now it is were all gonna die... Until we don't.
As long as the Trump administration stays focused, they will be successful, not that there won't be bumps along the way, there always is.
I never really thought that the election would be a runaway but I think Trump should win but you never know what crap the left is going to pull.Bernie is great at his memorized sound bites but have noticed when the question/subject requires complex analysis he gets lost.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #66 on: February 28, 2020, 07:11:25 am »
I've often thought it weird that when someone hiccups, the market falls.  This virus -- ok, it has adversely affected businesses dealing with China, but really -- the market plunges bigly?  Just hard for me to grasp.

By the way, the president should be careful what he says.  His remarks yesterday about the market doing well as the Dow tanks do not inspire confidence and actually may make things worse.
He did not say it was doing well, but that it was looking good.

Buy low, sell high.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
« Reply #67 on: February 28, 2020, 08:40:18 am »
Seeing a glimmer of buying on the overnite. There for awhile it looked like it was starting to freefall.

Lets see how far into the day it lasts. The market looks like it still has plenty of room to run on the downside and I don't see much propping it up.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #68 on: February 28, 2020, 08:45:01 am »
He did not say it was doing well, but that it was looking good.

Buy low, sell high.

Oh the market looks good if you can afford to buy and sell.  Doesn't look so good if you aren't rich, you're retired and your retirement savings are losing thousands every day.

I know he's trying to fight off the panic, but it has already set in and his words aren't inspiring a whole lot of confidence for the average retiree.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #69 on: February 28, 2020, 10:12:34 am »
Oh the market looks good if you can afford to buy and sell.  Doesn't look so good if you aren't rich, you're retired and your retirement savings are losing thousands every day.

I know he's trying to fight off the panic, but it has already set in and his words aren't inspiring a whole lot of confidence for the average retiree.
If you are losing badly, and I'm no financial advisor, get out and let it drop a little more. It might not, but looking at the politics, what do you really expect? The Dems are going to try to hammer any economic gains back into the ground by the election. One thing Trump has to stand tall on is the economy, but the markets are fickle and blow with the media wind.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #70 on: February 28, 2020, 11:52:33 am »
I’m dreading today. From what I am seeing this morning, the FTSE is currently down and the Hang Seng closed down 2.42%, and the Nikkei closed down 3.61%.  At least people aren’t jumping out of buildings like they did in October 1929. Yet. I think we did learn from that. 
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #71 on: February 28, 2020, 02:45:18 pm »
Down 614 points and it's only 9.44am...

45 minutes later:
Down almost 1,000 and the market's been open only an hour or so...
« Last Edit: February 28, 2020, 03:17:21 pm by Fishrrman »

Offline Applewood

« Reply #72 on: February 28, 2020, 03:46:11 pm »
947.88 as of 10:30 am Eastern

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #73 on: February 28, 2020, 03:48:04 pm »
Can't they close the markets until everyone calms down..they closed them after 9-11 maybe they should do it now....and I thought there was a mechanism to automatically close when it drops like this?
Support the USO

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #74 on: February 28, 2020, 04:12:54 pm »
Can't they close the markets until everyone calms down..they closed them after 9-11 maybe they should do it now....and I thought there was a mechanism to automatically close when it drops like this?

Trades have been halted for companies that saw either huge losses or gains.  it takes a 9/11 to shut the whole market down. 
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed: