Author Topic: Jim Auton: The RAF hero hailed 'a true friend of Poland'  (Read 814 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Jim Auton: The RAF hero hailed 'a true friend of Poland'
« on: February 22, 2020, 11:28:47 pm »
Jim Auton: The RAF hero hailed 'a true friend of Poland'
By Sandish Shoker       19 February 2020

Jim Auton (second left) was one of seven aircrew who flew a B-24 Liberator

"When I talk about when I won the war, I always say I didn't do it alone, there was seven of us."

Jim Auton was a modest man who would not describe himself as a hero, but was hailed a "true friend of Poland" after he helped fight off the Nazis in the 1944 Warsaw Uprising.

The 95-year-old had no surviving relatives, and was thought to have been the last British member of the Warsaw Air Bridge, in which supplies were dropped to Polish resistance fighters.

Read more at: https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-51413111

Another interesting article. I believe it says he stopped flying because he was blinded in his right eye from shrapnel.

Poland had a number of pilots in World War II for the allies, I think they said there were some Mexican pilots as well.

A lot of interesting stories from this struggle against evil.

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Re: Jim Auton: The RAF hero hailed 'a true friend of Poland'
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2020, 11:35:11 pm »
Another interesting article. I believe it says he stopped flying because he was blinded in his right eye from shrapnel.

Poland had a number of pilots in World War II for the allies, I think they said there were some Mexican pilots as well.

A lot of interesting stories from this struggle against evil.

@TomSea

Were they actual Mexicans,or Americans whose ancestors were Mexicans?

Not that it makes any difference,other than to satisfy my curiosity. I always thought Mexico remained a neutral nation during WW-2.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!