Author Topic: Clint Eastwood Says Electing Michael Bloomberg Is "the Best Thing We Could Do"  (Read 1599 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
The Hollywood Reporter:

Clint Eastwood Says Electing Michael Bloomberg Is "the Best Thing We Could Do"
Katie Kilkenny

Seemingly undeterred by the withering reviews out of the former New York City mayor's first appearance at a Democratic debate, Clint Eastwood is expressing some early support for Michael Bloomberg for president.

Asked about his views on President Donald Trump and the current political scene in a new interview with The Wall Street Journal, The Mule actor and self-professed libertarian said "The politics has gotten so ornery.” While he said he agrees with “certain things that Trump’s done," he added that he wished the president acted “in a more genteel way, without tweeting and calling people names. I would personally like for him to not bring himself to that level."

He then told the reporter, "The best thing we could do is just get Mike Bloomberg in there."

Read more at: https://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/news/clint-eastwood-says-electing-michael-bloomberg-is-the-best-thing-we-could-do/ar-BB10gaYA

This news hit late yesterday, I don't see it posted anywhere.

I thought, one of the stories called Eastwood a libertarian. Personally, I will still like Clint though not agree with this decision.

Okay, wikipedia seems to say he's a registered "Libertarian".   

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clint_Eastwood   (see box on right)

rangerrebew

"he wished the president acted “in a more genteel way, without tweeting and calling people names."

This does not sound like something Eastwood would say.  If he did, it should be noted that Bloomberg has made disparaging remarks and names about women, blacks, farmers, and Hispanics.  In that regard, Trump is in the minor leagues compared to Bloomberg. :nono:
« Last Edit: February 22, 2020, 12:08:35 pm by rangerrebew »

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

I bet fifty bucks this is fake news.

Genteel is not something Clint "Go ahead, make my day" would say.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

rangerrebew

Genteel 

That is the word that I picked up on as not being Eastwood like. *hmmmm*

Offline skeeter

He's at least being taken out of context.

But there's almost nothing Clint could say that'd take him off my top ten list.

Offline Applewood

Or maybe he's yanking people's chains.  Somehow I can't see Clint going for a gun grabbing commie. 

But if Bloomie is really who he wants, who am I to tell him he's wrong? 

Offline mrclose

A Fistful of Dollars
"Hell is empty, all the devil's are here!"
~ Self

Offline jafo2010

• Dems-greatest existential threat to USA republic!
I don't buy this for a nanosecond.

And Trump's obnoxous, caustic demeanor is in large part what puts his enemies on guard.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.

And Trump's obnoxous, caustic demeanor is in large part what puts his enemies on guard.
Actually, Trump's demeanor does more than that, it angers them. Angry people do stupid things.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline skeeter

Which is only right, ‘cause Trumps enemies have been caustic and obnoxious for decades.

Offline mrclose

Despite being heavily associated with firearms in his Westerns and police movies, Eastwood has publicly endorsed gun control since at least 1973.

In the April 24, 1973, edition of The Washington Post, the star said, "I'm for gun legislation myself. I don't hunt."

Two years later, in 1975, Eastwood told People magazine that he favors "gun control to some degree."

About a year later, Eastwood remarked that "All guns should be registered. I don't think legitimate gun owners would mind that kind of legislation.

Right now the furor against a gun law is by gun owners who are overreacting.

In an interview with GQ magazine, Eastwood criticized the Republican Party for its stance on gay marriage, saying "These people who are making a big deal out of gay marriage?

I don’t give a f*^k about who wants to get married to anybody else! Why not?!

We’re making a big deal out of things we shouldn’t be making a deal out of.

They go on and on with all this bullshit about ‘sanctity’ — don’t give me that sanctity crap! Just give everybody the chance to have the life they want.

"Hell is empty, all the devil's are here!"
~ Self

Offline Applewood

@mrclose

Serves me right for not reading the whole piece.  I was wrong about Clint Eastwood.  Oh well.    I would have thought as a libertarian, Eastwood would not have wanted gun control since, in my mind, government regulation equates with intrusion which libertarians profess to hate.  But it's his opinion and in this country that's one thing we are all entitled to.  Still think he makes decent movies which most of the rest of Hollywood can't seem to do these days.

Offline goatprairie

I've been a big Eastwood fan for decades. But because we agree with Clint on some things, let's not pretend, like other people, he doesn't have flaws.
He supports a number of things antithetical to conservatism. To be sure, he calls himself a libertarian.
He supports abortion on demand, homosexual "marriage", and a number other things conservatives oppose.
This does not make him an enemy of the country, it's just that HE CAN BE WRONG!!! on some things.
Unfortunately, Trump's behavior puts off many people who would support him if he would act like he's an adult.
His base loves what he says and wishes he'd do more of it.
But the base is only about 15-20% of the voters. We  have to get a sizable percentage of the middle third who can be swung to our side.
If we're losing reliably Pubbie voters like Eastwood on account of Trump's childish name-calling, that's not good.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Actually, Trump's demeanor does more than that, it angers them. Angry people do stupid things.

@Smokin Joe

BINGO! I will never understand why so many people have so much trouble understanding this. Angry people make misakes.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits

If we're losing reliably Pubbie voters like Eastwood on account of Trump's childish name-calling, that's not good.

@goatprarie

HorseHillary! We never had them to start with if they are that stupid.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline skeeter

@Smokin Joe

BINGO! I will never understand why so many people have so much trouble understanding this. Angry people make misakes.

Trump may have turned off a few would be allies but he has made the entire rat party a laughingstock to everyone but the leftist dead enders.

Offline aligncare

@goatprarie

Trump may have turned off a few would be allies but he has made the entire rat party a laughingstock to everyone but the leftist dead enders.

We should be thanking Trump, not picking holes in him.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
In his later years, Barry Goldwater actually endorsed both the Republican and Democrat in an AZ Congressional race.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline goatprairie

@goatprarie

Eastwood's been a reliable Republican voter for many years. You just can't understand how offputting Trump's shenanigans are to many people who could be influenced to vote for him if he acted more grownup.
I'm voting for Trump, but he should grow up and stop the nonsense.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher

Asked about his views on President Donald Trump and the current political scene in a new interview with The Wall Street Journal, The Mule actor and self-professed libertarian said "The politics has gotten so ornery.” While he said he agrees with “certain things that Trump’s done," he added that he wished the president acted “in a more genteel way, without tweeting and calling people names. I would personally like for him to not bring himself to that level."

I don't disagree with anything Clint said right there.  Except I find it very strange he would resort to voting for a liberal based on that observation,
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Absalom

He supports abortion on demand, homosexual "marriage".
The cardinal Principle of Conservatism is:
The Family Unit of Father, Mother, Son and Daughter is the bedrock of culture/society;
which is the foundation of the nation/state. As such, any attitude or behavior that
harms it, such as abortion, homosexuality, transgenderism, among kindred neuroses,
is haraam, verboten, forbidden!!!
As such, Eastwood ain't no conservative and likely never, ever was. Not for a day!

Offline goatprairie

The cardinal Principle of Conservatism is:
The Family Unit of Father, Mother, Son and Daughter is the bedrock of culture/society;
which is the foundation of the nation/state. As such, any attitude or behavior that
harms it, such as abortion, homosexuality, transgenderism, among kindred neuroses,
is haraam, verboten, forbidden!!!
As such, Eastwood ain't no conservative and likely never, ever was. Not for a day!
He's not what is considered what is called a conservative today, but he
has been a reliable supporter of limited gov. and the military.

Offline EdinVA

Well, agree with him or not, Mr. Eastwood shared his thoughts without calling anyone racist or stupid and no threats.... That is the way a conversation should go.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Well, agree with him or not, Mr. Eastwood shared his thoughts without calling anyone racist or stupid and no threats.... That is the way a conversation should go.

Clint Eastwood for President! 
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Absalom

He's not what is considered what is called a conservative today, but he
has been a reliable supporter of limited gov. and the military.
------------------------
Goatprarie, respectfully accept your latter point.
As for your phrase "conservative today", an observation.
Many posters (not you) define/re-define conservatism depending
on whatever whim they're feeling at the moment, which is brainless.
Principled Conservatism was birthed by the Natural Law,
thousands of years ago and is a legacy from the Ancients.
It is a body of unchanging precepts which form a basis for the
conduct of Man involving attitudes, behaviors and impulses in life
and these are independent of economics, politics and religion.
Unfortunately, some never get past politics and as a result, it
influences every single idea and thought they articulate.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2020, 08:59:52 pm by Absalom »