Author Topic: Paterson ordinance will let mosques broadcast Muslim call to prayer  (Read 1646 times)

Online mountaineer

Paterson ordinance will let mosques broadcast Muslim call to prayer
February 19, 2020
by Jayed Rahman
A proposed ordinance before the City Council will allow mosques in Paterson to broadcast the Adhan or the Muslim call to prayer.

Under the ordinance, mosques will be allowed to use loudspeakers to announce the call to prayer during a 16-hour span. The ordinance states: “The city shall permit ‘Adhan’, call to prayer’, ‘church bells’ and other reasonable means of announcing religious meetings to be amplified between the hours of 6:00 a.m. and 10:00 p.m. for duration not to exceed five minutes.”

Councilman Shahin Khalique proposed the ordinance on Tuesday night as an amendment to the existing noise control ordinance.

Council members spent three minutes discussing the measure.

Paterson has approximately 30,000 Muslims. ...
Read the entire article at the Paterson Times

Some comments to the article:
Virginia Wright • a day ago
Why would you need a call to prayer? I don't care what denomination of faith you are, you should know when to worship without bells and whistles, so to speak. Please don't allow it!

St.Hahn • 3 hours ago
 Islamic sharia. Note the call to prayer will be 5 times a day and much longer than any bells. Thus the 98% will be reminded every day of Islam's dominance. Pretty soon the population will become accustomed to the noise and tune it out but then the Muslims will begin asking for more. That is how the playbook goes. I can respect Islam as I would respect a bear. Islam has a 1400 year history of subsuming populations. The people of Peterson are being conquered and don't realize through their tolerance are inviting their destruction. Islam will bring nothing new or better to Peterson, quite the contrary.

Willy05 • 2 days ago
Church bells are occasional. Western and Eastern harmonies differ. To this Western ear, such sounds would be extremely irritating to many - exactly in the nature of noise pollution. Five times daily is more than an inconvenience. There's a better solution: Broadcast the call to prayer over a private network so it is received by subscribers on their cell phones or other devices.

Moronbasher • 6 hours ago
You live in the age of cellphones why do you need a "call to prayer"? This is simply imposing islamic superiority over the infidels! The adhaan states that there inso God but allah and the infidels have to hear this? This has been proposed by a muslim and this is all they want when they move to the West? Impose islamic superiority over the West. How do other religious groups report to prayer? Why is islam given so many special privileges? Gosh this angers me so much!
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline skeeter

Re: Paterson ordinance will let mosques broadcast Muslim call to prayer
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2020, 12:01:07 am »
But Christians cannot have anything resembling a cross on public property.

Muslims seek to dominate. The call to prayer is a manifestation of that.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2020, 12:04:51 am by skeeter »

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2020, 08:08:33 am »
Paterson ordinance will let mosques broadcast Muslim call to prayer
February 19, 2020
by Jayed Rahman Read the entire article at the Paterson Times

Some comments to the article:

@mountaineer

Typical Dim political whores. They would pimp out their daughters to circus animals if they thought the animals would vote for them.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2020, 08:10:17 am »
But Christians cannot have anything resembling a cross on public property.

@skeeter

Odd how that works out,ain't it?

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2020, 04:09:51 pm »
This makes sense in light of this

N.J. police department swears in its 1st Muslim police chief
https://www.nj.com/passaic-county/2020/02/nj-police-department-swears-in-its-1st-muslim-police-chief.html
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline PeteS in CA

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2020, 05:39:59 pm »
So ....... churches ringing church bells are OK, but a mosque doing a call to prayer is not?

And a guy who has faithfully served in the Paterson Police Department for 30 years should not be promoted to Chirf because he is a Muslim?

When did the Free Exercise Clause of the First Amendment to the US Constitution get repealed?
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2020, 01:19:19 am »
So ....... churches ringing church bells are OK, but a mosque doing a call to prayer is not?

And a guy who has faithfully served in the Paterson Police Department for 30 years should not be promoted to Chirf because he is a Muslim?

When did the Free Exercise Clause of the First Amendment to the US Constitution get repealed?
Ever heard the screeching of what's called 'The Call to Prayer'?

I have, in many trips to the ME and North Africa.

It is not anything like the innocuous pealing of church bells.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2020, 01:44:33 am »

@IsailedawayfromFR

The difference is it is an ORDER,not an announcement. Join in prayer or suffer the consequences,which might mean death.

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2020, 01:51:00 am »
@IsailedawayfromFR

The difference is it is an ORDER,not an announcement. Join in prayer or suffer the consequences,which might mean death.
True statement.

Offline PeteS in CA

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2020, 02:02:02 am »

1. Cities have ordinances that limit how loud church bells can be, and those ordinances would apply to the mosques.

2. Spurred by atheists, some cities (IIRC, Phoenix, AZ was one) have already tried, unsuccessfully ultimately, to silence church bells. So love or hate the sound of the call to prayer, efforts to silence it will be overturned.

http://www.adfmedia.org/News/PRDetail/3692
« Last Edit: February 27, 2020, 02:03:23 am by PeteS in CA »
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2020, 05:23:01 am »
1. Cities have ordinances that limit how loud church bells can be, and those ordinances would apply to the mosques.

2. Spurred by atheists, some cities (IIRC, Phoenix, AZ was one) have already tried, unsuccessfully ultimately, to silence church bells. So love or hate the sound of the call to prayer, efforts to silence it will be overturned.

@PeteS in CA

ONLY because Islam is incorrectly identified as a religion. It is NOT a religion,it is a dogmatic police state/form of government. As such it HAS no Constitutional protections.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2020, 05:29:09 am »

Funny that - As I have not heard church bells in well over thirty years.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2020, 05:31:18 am »

@roamer_1

Seems like most of the "church bells" I have heard in the last few decades have all been recordings played through speakers.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2020, 05:34:51 am »
@roamer_1

Seems like most of the "church bells" I have heard in the last few decades have all been recordings played through speakers.

@sneakypete

I have heard *none*... Enough of an oddity that my brother called me special when he was down in New Orleans just to let me hear em over the phone.  :shrug:

They were long ago determined to be a nuisance here in the valley and county wide.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2020, 11:39:33 am »
I wasn’t aware of this. Thanks for posting. I hadn’t seen it or heard it on the local NJ news.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2020, 12:07:49 pm »

And it blows 5 times a day, everyday.
For Muslims it is a symbol of conquest and dominance.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2020, 12:26:32 pm »

Rights, 1st or otherwise, have limits.
Your rights begin and end where my rights begin and end and I have the right, as the noise laws will attest, to the quiet use of my property.  Usurping one persons rights for the benefit of another is government endorsement of that activity, albeit religious or something else.
In most locals, for example, you are required to have a muffler on your car for the mutual benefit of everyone, and if you don't you get ticketed

Offline PeteS in CA

« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2020, 04:01:17 pm »
@PeteS in CA

ONLY because Islam is incorrectly identified as a religion. It is NOT a religion,it is a dogmatic police state/form of government. As such it HAS no Constitutional protections.

Word game fail, again. Islam is a religion. Just as is Judaism, which has a national government and laws limned out in the Torah.

Offline PeteS in CA

« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2020, 04:06:10 pm »

And I hear them regularly - recordings or literal bells, it doesn't matter - from the Catholic Church a half mile from my home. If you clicked my link above, you'd see it was about a 2009 case regarding several churches in Phoenix, AZ where the city tried to silence their bell-ringing. IOW, your experience is not universal.

Offline PeteS in CA

« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2020, 04:08:31 pm »
Rights, 1st or otherwise, have limits.
Your rights begin and end where my rights begin and end and I have the right, as the noise laws will attest, to the quiet use of my property.  Usurping one persons rights for the benefit of another is government endorsement of that activity, albeit religious or something else.
In most locals, for example, you are required to have a muffler on your car for the mutual benefit of everyone, and if you don't you get ticketed

Did you read my post above? Specifically what I'm bolding in the quote below?

Offline PeteS in CA

« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2020, 04:11:36 pm »
And it blows 5 times a day, everyday.
For Muslims it is a symbol of conquest and dominance.

Some churches ring bells every hour on the hour in daylight hours. I think the Catholic Church near me ceased doing that only recently. But so what? The First Amendment Free Exercise Clause still applies.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2020, 04:21:02 pm »
Word game fail, again. Islam is a religion. Just as is Judaism, which has a national government and laws limned out in the Torah.

When has the religion of Judaism ever sought to conquer another by use of force?

In the last three thousand years, I mean.

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2020, 04:32:13 pm »
Some churches ring bells every hour on the hour in daylight hours. I think the Catholic Church near me ceased doing that only recently. But so what? The First Amendment Free Exercise Clause still applies.
Obviously, you do not know what it is like to hear this ear splitting caterwauling everyday all day long, the earliest one happening at sunrise. If you lived next door to a mosque doing this, there is no doubt you would have a much different opinion.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline PeteS in CA

« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2020, 06:07:37 pm »
When has the religion of Judaism ever sought to conquer another by use of force?

In the last three thousand years, I mean.

1. sneakpete's basis for claiming Islam isn't a religion was that Islam is a form of government. And that was what I responded to, by pointing out that the Torah - unlike the Qur'an, BTW - contains an entire governmental, legal, and religious system. So Israel's attempts to conquer are not relevant to sneak's government-not-a-religion argument.

2. I suppose the correctness of that 3000 years qualification may or may not be incorrect, based on the dates of King David's conquests. But it did not escape me that your chosen time frame carefully excluded Joshua's conquest of Canaan, whether in the 1200s BC or 1400s BC.

3. There has been an Islamic Center (technically not a mosque, because it does not have a minaret) at the corner of San Tomas Expressway and Budd Avenue for something like 20 or 25 years (I've been driving by there with some frequency the past 30 years because I live a few miles away and use STE frequently). What have they tried to conquer? Maybe John D. Morgan Park? There are at least a couple more Islamic Centers around Silicon Valley. Any conquest attempts from them?

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2020, 06:59:39 pm »
@sneakypete

I have heard *none*... Enough of an oddity that my brother called me special when he was down in New Orleans just to let me hear em over the phone.  :shrug:

They were long ago determined to be a nuisance here in the valley and county wide.

@roamer_1

Really? What was being disturbed,domestic livestock? Cows not giving milk,chickens not laying eggs,etc,etc,etc?