Author Topic: Officially, an Anahuac woman was killed in a rare feral hog attack. But some aren't convinced.  (Read 561 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Houston Chronicle by  Emily Foxhall Feb. 21, 2020

ANAHUAC — The horrific death struck some people as strange. One day after 59-year-old caregiver Christine Rollins was found dead in a yard, with portions of her legs gnawed away, the Chambers County sheriff said a medical examiner determined feral hogs had killed her.

“We had suspected that,” Sheriff Brian Hawthorne said Nov. 25.

Such an attack was practically unheard of and drew national attention. People were used to feral hogs in this rural part of Texas, and they knew the animals usually ran when confronted. But for a hog to kill someone is so exceedingly rare that some struggled to believe it.

As people continued to talk, an alternative theory emerged. Rollins, who took care of an elderly woman, died in front of the client’s home. The woman and her husband had five dogs, one of which previously bit a worker.

Was it possible the dogs caused her death?

It made more sense to some. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recorded 349,962 non-fatal dog bites seen in emergency departments in 2017. A dog bit the sheriff recently as he campaigned for re-election.

More: https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/Feral-hogs-killed-a-woman-in-Anahuac-officials-15072296.php

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Anybody that isn't afraid of a feral hog is a fool.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
Anybody that isn't afraid of a feral hog is a fool.
True, but a feral hog normally does not provoke the attack.
If it is wounded or cornered it becomes extremely aggressive.
Other than that they will run away.
In fact they are so skittish it is hard to even get close to one.
Most hunters attacked by hogs wounded the animal without killing it.
That really pisses them off, and they will attack.

But if the woman was already wounded and/or incapacitated, that could have triggered them to feed.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
True, but a feral hog normally does not provoke the attack.
If it is wounded or cornered it becomes extremely aggressive.
Other than that they will run away.
In fact they are so skittish it is hard to even get close to one.
Most hunters attacked by hogs wounded the animal without killing it.
That really pisses them off, and they will attack.

But if the woman was already wounded and/or incapacitated, that could have triggered them to feed.

@240B 

If the hog was sick or injured to the point where it hadn't been able to eat for a couple of days,and she was bleeding for any reason,the hog would see her as an easy lunch.

My father and I used to catch them in big "rabbit trap cages" we built,feed them corn for a month or two,and then slaugher them and sell the meat. People who have never been around one have no idea how dangerous they are,and that includes women in Texas. I guess there are probably some women who go on hog hunts,but I have never personally known one.

BTW,"getting pissed off" doesn't really apply with feral hogs. I have never seen one that WASN'T pissed off.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2020, 01:27:00 am by sneakypete »

Online roamer_1

But this OP brings in another dimension... There were dogs there big enough to be accused of tearing the woman down.

If true, my argument becomes: I don't believe dogs of size would allow a feral hog to be present.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
But this OP brings in another dimension... There were dogs there big enough to be accused of tearing the woman down.

If true, my argument becomes: I don't believe dogs of size would allow a feral hog to be present.

@roamer_1

Good point! I don't,either. Not even if they were "city dogs". Not attacking the hog would against their very nature,and hogs ARE afraid of dogs and if able,would run away as long as there were no piglets to protect. NEVER get between a wild sow and her piglets.

Online roamer_1

@roamer_1
Good point! I don't,either. Not even if they were "city dogs". Not attacking the hog would against their very nature,and hogs ARE afraid of dogs and if able,would run away [...]

@sneakypete
With that in mind: The dogs protecting their territory pretty well omits any other attacker - So I can see why folks in the OP are not satisfied with the feral hog theory, and rather, blame the dogs themselves.

Now, maybe that ain't true. Maybe she was walking far enough to be beyond the confines of their territory. I don't know that. But even at that, you would think them dogs would be raising a helluva stink about it.

[...] as long as there were no piglets to protect. NEVER get between a wild sow and her piglets.

We don't have feral hogs up in here... Ours are big and hairy, and you call the piglets 'cubs'... So yeah, I get that.  :beer: