Author Topic: Martha MacCallum Explores the 'Unknown Valor' of Iwo Jima in New Book, Fox News Special  (Read 1230 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Martha MacCallum Explores the 'Unknown Valor' of Iwo Jima in New Book, Fox News Special

Martha MacCallum interviews WWII Marine Corps veteran Charles Gubish about his service in the Pacific for "Unknown Valor." (Fox News Channel)
20 Feb 2020
Military.com | By James Barber

Fox News anchor Martha MacCallum honors the 75th anniversary of the Battle of Iwo Jima with a one-hour documentary, "Unknown Valor: A Story of Family, Courage & Sacrifice," set to air on the Fox News Channel this Sunday, Feb. 23, at 10 p.m.

MacCallum has also authored a book (also called "Unknown Valor") with Ronald J. Drez that will be published Feb. 25 and available in hardcover, as an ebook and in an audiobook narrated by Martha herself.

We've got a clip in advance of the program's Sunday debut.

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Read more at: https://www.military.com/off-duty/2020/02/20/martha-maccallum-explores-unknown-valor-iwo-jima-new-book-fox-news-special.html

I thought I'd post.

I thought I'd post.

Martha MacCallum says one of the Marines there was her uncle in the above video.... I will record this, I think Sunday night.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2020, 08:24:34 pm by TomSea »

Offline TomSea

Follow up to this article:

Warning, this is almost a spoiler.

"Martha MacCallum unlocks family mystery: What happened to Harry Gray?"
https://www.foxnews.com/media/martha-maccallum-unknown-valor-iwo-jima-fox-nation

I'll discuss all of this after I see the show tonight. I might try to pick her book up.

Offline TomSea

Also, mentioned in this special is Dominick Grossi, who hailed from Lockport New York.

From the Niagara-Gazette.com :

National spotlight to shine on local war hero
Connor Hoffman connor.hoffman@lockportjournal.com

Dominick Grossi, a local veteran icon who was killed in Iwo Jima, will be featured on a television program this weekend, according to his niece, Donna Branch.

Grossi was wounded on Iwo Jima on Feb. 24, 1945 and sent to the hospital ship. He was told he could come home, but Grossi decided he could not leave his men and returned to the battle scene.

He was then shot in the head and killed in action on March 8, 1945. He was buried on Iwo Jima and his body was returned to the U.S. in 1948.

Grossi as the article points out, was actually, an accomplished football player and was drafted by the Redskins and Giants per the article.

Some on him here: https://www.tracesofwar.com/persons/31649/Grossi-Dominick-J.htm?c=aw

Martha McCallum actually examined what can be called a sample of the Marines who were stationed over there,  mainly just those who were in somewhat proximity to her uncle, Harry Gray.

That's something that Grossi actually had been injured and could have been sent home but he returned to the battlefield.