Author Topic: Army Needs Bigger Army Budget To Build Big 6: Lt. Gen. Horlander  (Read 154 times)

rangerrebew

Army Needs Bigger Army Budget To Build Big 6: Lt. Gen. Horlander

“I know $178 billion, by anybody’s standard, is a lot of money, but I gotta tell you, this is a million-man Army,” the deputy comptroller told reporters. But cutting manpower is off the table – for now.
By   Sydney J. Freedberg Jr. on February 18, 2020 at 12:41 PM

Sydney J. Freedberg Jr. graphic

Breaking Defense graphic from Army data. Modernization equals Procurement plus RDTE (Research, Development, Test, & Engineering)

ARLINGTON: The Army’s inflation-adjusted buying power is eroding just as the service is ramping up modernization programs, the service’s top uniformed budget official said today. Something’s got to give and, while Lt. Gen. Thomas Horlander would like the whole budget to get bigger, the other possibility is that the size of the force goes down.

“If you look at that funding profile I showed you, it looks pretty flat,” Horlander said this morning at the Association of the US Army. “Well, when you factor in inflation, it’s actually a downturn … This year it’s about a one percent downturn in real purchasing power. We need real purchasing power growth, three to five percent.”

https://breakingdefense.com/2020/02/army-needs-bigger-army-budget-to-build-big-6-lt-gen-horlander/