Author Topic: 700-pound black bear shot in New Jersey sets world record  (Read 420 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
700-pound black bear shot in New Jersey sets world record
« on: February 19, 2020, 12:54:07 pm »
700-pound black bear shot in New Jersey sets world record
NEW JERSEY -

A 700-pound bear shot in New Jersey, pictured, has set a new world record as the largest black bear ever killed with a bow and arrow in North America. (Pope and Young Club)

A bowhunting organization says a 700-pound bear shot in New Jersey last fall has set a world record as the largest black bear killed with a bow and arrow in North America.

The Pope and Young Club, a bowhunting and conservation organization, said the bear killed Oct. 14 in Morris County toppled a record set in 1993 by a hunter in California. The new record was announced after a special panel of judges was assembled Feb. 8 in Harrisburg during the Great American Outdoors Show, the group said.

Read more at: https://www.fox5ny.com/news/700-pound-black-bear-shot-in-new-jersey-sets-world-record

Biggest killed with bow and arrow but still, quite impressive.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2020, 12:55:32 pm by TomSea »

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Re: 700-pound black bear shot in New Jersey sets world record
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2020, 04:05:24 pm »
I just don't "get" trophy hunting. Never  have,never will.

BTW,for those of you who don't know,black bears are almost always shy,and do their best to avoid human contact. I have never heard of one attacking someone unless there was a cub involved.

I have them come wandering through my yard occasionally. There was a fairly big one by local standards (probably 350-400 lbs) that liked to take a dump by a telephone pole in my yard a couple of times a week. He liked to nap during the day in a bunch of bushes just to the north of my land. I think a hunter got him the last season because I have seen no "dump sites" in my yard or any tracks or other evidence of him since the season began. He was a healthy-looking bear,too. Saw him walking down the road one day as I was leaving my house. I just stood on the porch and waited for him to pass before going to the truck.

Make no mistake about it,though,you do NOT want to get close to any cubs you might see because mama won't be far away and she won't be amused when she hears a cub make panicked noises.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2020, 04:12:56 pm by sneakypete »
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online roamer_1

Re: 700-pound black bear shot in New Jersey sets world record
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2020, 04:12:41 pm »
Biggest killed with bow and arrow but still, quite impressive.

You make it sound like archery is the lesser thing... Quite the contrary. Archery is the greater feat.