Author Topic: A priest's anti-Muslim comments reveal US Catholics' Islamophobia problem  (Read 713 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
A priest's anti-Muslim comments reveal US Catholics' Islamophobia problem - Religion News Service
Jordan Denari Duffner

(RNS) — On a day in which pastors were encouraged to remind their flocks of the Christian duty to “welcome the stranger,” a Catholic priest in Minnesota used the opportunity to sow fear and suspicion about Muslims.

Calling Islam “the greatest threat” to Christianity and to America, the Rev. Nick VanDenBroeke argued that Muslim immigration to the United States should be curtailed.

“We do not need to pretend that everyone who seeks to enter into America should be treated the same,” he said. After news of the homily spread, the local chapter of a Muslim advocacy group called upon the Catholic Church to repudiate the priest’s remarks.

Read more at: https://religionnews.com/2020/02/13/a-priests-anti-muslim-comments-reveal-u-s-catholics-islamophobia-problem/

This story is too good and interesting to pass by. I"m not sure if one sees it directly in this story but the RNS-Religious News Service in some ways, seems to have been indicating that this priest,  VanDenBroeke went too far while, I and probably most here, think he's probably right on the mark. In fact, his words might even be a bit mild.

At the same time,  I also respect the author's opinion, Duffner, if they wish to give a counter view.

Offline mountaineer

Calling Islam “the greatest threat” to Christianity and to America
... shouldn't even be a matter of dispute. And saying so doesn't make one "phobic."
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
It is not a 'phobia' to be afraid of things that want to kill you. And the Muslims say this outloud and with pride.
Am I 'phobic' of bears, or lions, or black widow spiders, or rattlesnakes. Hell yes I am. And with good reason.
They will kill me. Islamophobia is a product of Muslims themselves, and their thousands of years of war murder and death.
Islam is a self declared 'death cult'. It is only rational to be wary of them. The same as you would be afraid of a rabid dog.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline mountaineer

Exactly. A phobia is an irrational fear. Given the Muslims' expressed intentions to destroy Christians, Israel, the USA, etc., I'd say it's rational not only to fear what they said they will do, but to disapprove of it.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Far be it from me to assist a Catholic Priest,but I have a simple solution to this problem. Just have the Muslims either stay home,or return them to their home in whatever Shitstainistan they left to come here.

Problem solved.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!