Author Topic: 150 Years Ago, a Philosopher Showed Why It’s Pointless to Start Arguments on the Internet  (Read 1021 times)

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
Don’t feed the trolls

Wildly inaccurate facts and spurious arguments are unavoidable features of social media. Yet no matter how infuriatingly wrong someone is, or just how much counter-evidence you have at your disposal, starting arguments on the internet rarely gets anyone to change their mind. Nearly a century-and-a-half ago, British philosopher John Stuart Mill explained, in a few clear sentences, why certain arguments simply won’t go anywhere.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
 Mirror, mirror, on the wall, who is the fairest troll of them all?
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer

So close no matter how far
Couldn't be much more from the heart
Forever trusting who we are
And nothing else matters
Never opened myself this way
Life is ours, we live it our way
All these words I don't just say
And nothing else matters
Trust I seek and I find in you
Everyday for us something new
Open mind for a different view
And nothing else matters

Never cared for what they do
Never cared for what they know
But I know

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Offline skeeter

The writer blew her whole thesis up when she said 'Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.' Makes it sound as though she's lecturing someone else and that her characterization doesn't apply to herself.

I would add that the internet, like a car on the freeway, often makes debate more difficult because often the user feels insulated and invulnerable to the point they feel free to say things to others they would never dream of saying to them face to face.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2020, 02:51:07 pm by skeeter »

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
like a car on the freeway

Interesting analogy.

The speed of "stupid" compared to the speed of "light".

If you are 'stuck on stupid' are you in the fast lane, going nowhere? Or parked in the mud alongside going nowhere?

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.

Interesting analogy.

If you are 'stuck on stupid' are you in the fast lane, going nowhere? Or parked in the mud alongside going nowhere?
I think stupid is faster than light: it seems to travel fastest when people are in the dark.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline darroll

You can't argue against free stuff.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
You can't argue against free stuff.
Sometimes, you get what you paid for...
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
I think stupid is faster than light: it seems to travel fastest when people are in the dark.

I've read that the speed of light may vary.

I think it is the same for the speed of stupid.

I relate this from personal experience. Sometimes, there I am. Spinning my wheels in the mud. Other times I am taking quite a lead out there. Daring someone to pick me off.  :laugh:

Offline skeeter

Interesting analogy.

The ones I’ve run into are in the fast lane but going the wrong way.

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
The ones I’ve run into are in the fast lane but going the wrong way.

That reminds me of the old joke.

"We must be getting closer to town."
 "How can you tell?"
 "We're hitting more people."

Offline skeeter

That reminds me of the old joke.

"We must be getting closer to town."
 "How can you tell?"
 "We're hitting more people."

I shouldn't think so, but thats hilarious.

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
I shouldn't think so, but thats hilarious.

Yeah, I know. The way this world is now.

I am trying to remember. Seems like it is a Far side cartoon.  Gary Larson. He is still going. Has a website. He makes me lol.