Author Topic: Brett Gardner wants ardent lady fan restrained legally  (Read 731 times)

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
Brett Gardner wants ardent lady fan restrained legally
« on: February 18, 2020, 08:16:45 pm »
Gina Devasahayam, Ph.D., is a research doctor obsessed with making Brett Gardner hers. Gardner and the Yankees want a judge to make her stay away.
By Yours Truly
https://calltothepen.com/2020/02/18/new-york-yankees-brett-gardner-ardent-lady-fan-restrained-legally/

Eddie Waitkus, phone home, from wherever you are. What you probably wished you had done, Brett Gardner wants done. The New York Yankees outfielder has filed a request that a Bronx judge keep a particularly obsessed fan, whom Gardner says calls herself his future wife, away from himself and his family. The Yankees would also like her kept away from Yankee Stadium and all major league ballparks.

As Waitkus had his Ruth Ann Steinhagen, Brett Gardner seems to have his Gina Devasahayam, according to the New York Post. So far, the distinction is that Steinhagen punctuated her unrequited love with a rifle shell that barely missed Waitkus’s heart, while Devasahayam hasn’t punctuated hers with any kind of weapon other than social media tweets. Yet.

Steinhagen became infatuated with Waitkus as a Chicago Cub (being a Chicagoan she could see him every day at Wrigley Field) but obsessed with him after he was traded to the Philadelphia Phillies. In due course, of course, she checked into the Phillies’ Chicago hotel under an alias in 1949, left a note for him to see her on an urgent matter, then let him have it when he complied with the request.

Devashayam is obsessed with Gardner to the point where she was ejected from Yankee Stadium during last postseason and filed a court action demanding her restored access to the ballpark “in accordance with MLB fan policy and also in accordance with ‘Significant other’” of Gardner’s, according to the filing cited by NJ.com.

But she claims Gardner’s shown interest beyond player-fan appreciation in her. Among other things, her legal filing claimed the outfielder makes sad faces when she’s not at the Yankees’ home games and has gestured with his body “as though he is having sexual intercourse with me.”

When an NJ.com reporter interviewed her and pointed out that Gardner is a happily married man, Devasahayam replied, “That is not of importance.” Apparently. Upon filing her suit, she

tweeted, “I have never seen you angry at me Gardy, I will claim you play the role of my husband, that is my first right, my second right is to allow me inside the Stadium.”

Devasahayam is an attractive woman who has co-founded a biotechnology company, GenetikSignal. The company’s Website homepage describes it as “an anti-aging biotechnology company focusing on the mTOR signal transduction pathway “to produce new drug strategies against various cancers and other diseases. The site lists Devasahayam as the chief executive officer holding a Ph.D. in biomedical sciences, with a co-founding organic chemist and three highly-degreed medical professionals on its board.

Steinhagen, by contrast, was an attractive Chicago stenographer who underwent three years’ psychiatric treatment before slipping out of public sight entirely. She lived her final 42 years with her parents and sister on Chicago’s northwest side, according to an obituary in the Washington Post upon her death in a fall at home in 2012. The paper said her withdrawal was so complete her death might have gone unreported if not for a Chicago Tribune reporter searching death records for a completely different story.

What might have transpired if Steinhagen’s obsession, stalking, and shooting of Waitkus had occurred in today’s social media world? A

tweet pinned to the top of Devasahayam’s Twitter page, accompanied by a photograph of her posing by a boat pier in a form-fitting denim suit, says, “Heart & Hustle, Hot & Spicy, Lovers & Dreamers, for Yankee Gardy.”

Gardner has been married to Jessica Clendenin since 2007. They have two sons and live during the off-season in Gardner’s native Holly Hill, South Carolina. He’s about to begin his thirteenth season with the Yankees.

Waitkus was a promising first baseman and two-time All-Star when Steinhagen shot him. When he returned to the Phillies for 1950, he played all 154 games as the Phillies won the pennant on the final day, and eventually made an eleven-season major league career.

Waitkus’ shooting partially informs the Roy Hobbs character in Bernard Malamud’s novel, The Natural, of course. The fictitious Hobbs was shot in the stomach in the hotel room of an ardent lady fan who’d witnessed him beat a Babe Ruth-like star on a carnival wager. She fired point blank range after he said “yes” to her question of whether he’d become the best there ever was. Not exactly an unrequited love.

Hobbs survived and became a shattered wanderer until giving baseball a final try in (we presume) his thirties. Waitkus retired at 35, after dividing 1955 between the Baltimore Orioles (to whom the Phillies sold him in spring 1954) and the Phillies (who signed him after the Orioles released him in July 1955).

He had survived and come to ready terms with the action he saw in the Army in World War II, but the Steinhagen shooting was something else entirely. He suffered what would come to be known as post-traumatic stress syndrome. Once an outgoing man, his marriage collapsed in 1961, he suffered a subsequent nervous breakdown and became known to self-medicate with alcohol in the years to follow.

Waitkus died of previously undiagnosed cancer at 53 in 1972. His son eventually told the Society for American Baseball Research that the family believed the four surgeries he needed after the shooting might have left room for cancer to invade. He’s still the most famous case of a baseball player shot by an obsessed fan, but he’s not the first.

An earlier Cub, infielder Billy Jurges, was shot in July 1932 by Violet Valli, a showgirl with whom he’d ended a romance. She’d intended to kill herself but failed; her suicide note blamed another Cub, Hall of Fame outfielder Kiki Cuyler, for convincing Jurges to end the affair.

Jurges’s refusal to press charges led to Valli’s release. He eventually became a major league manager and scout; Valli, like Steinhagen, seems to have disappeared into obscurity. Gardner filing to restrain Devasahayam must seem an option Waitkus’s and Jurges’s families wish they’d have had.

Steinhagen was reported widely to have told Waitkus she would kill him so he couldn’t “trouble” her anymore. Devasahayam hasn’t been known to say or tweet anything comparable, never mind take comparable action. Yet.
---------------------------------------
@Polly Ticks
@AllThatJazzZ
@andy58-in-nh
@AmericanaPrime
@Applewood
@catfish1957
@corbe
@Cyber Liberty
@DCPatriot
@dfwgator
@EdJames
@Gefn
@The Ghost
@goatprairie
@GrouchoTex
@Jazzhead
@jmyrlefuller
@Mom MD
@musiclady
@mystery-ak
@Right_in_Virginia
@Sanguine
@skeeter
@Skeptic
@Slip18
@Suppressed
@SZonian
@truth_seeker

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline GrouchoTex

Re: Brett Gardner wants ardent lady fan restrained legally
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2020, 06:03:32 pm »
Devashayam is obsessed with Gardner to the point where she was ejected from Yankee Stadium

From what I understand, it takes a lot of work to be thrown out of Yankee Stadium.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2020, 06:27:38 pm »
Devashayam is obsessed with Gardner to the point where she was ejected from Yankee Stadium

From what I understand, it takes a lot of work to be thrown out of Yankee Stadium.
@GrouchoTex
Mostly by security personnel who probably have their hands full tossing more than a few particularly obnoxious fans out each season. It's why I often say that, even though I don't root for the Yankees (though I've always admired individual Yankees over the years), the Yankees have too much class for too many of their own fans.

And yet . . . and yet . . . I've never forgotten what happened after the Red Sox nailed that staggering comeback streak to win the 2004 pennant in Yankee Stadium: Stadium security personnel got frantic about that large contingency of Red Sox fans who came to the Stadium for Game Seven and were celebrating like mad over the Red Sox win. Enter, of all people, Yankee owner George Steinbrenner. Steinbrenner simply shrugged off the stadium security people and said, "They won. They earned it. Let them enjoy it." Or something like that.

Whatever else I think about the late Boss, the man who (among other crazinesses) threw out the first manager of the year for almost all the 1980s, I give Steinbrenner all credit on earth for a show of class like that.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2020, 07:44:53 pm »
I believe her.    :smokin:    :bolt:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2020, 07:48:12 pm »

Sounds more like a 'Fatal Attraction', Glenn Close...'Alex Forrest'.    happy77
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2020, 10:05:57 pm »

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2020, 10:11:37 pm »
t's why I often say that, even though I don't root for the Yankees (though I've always admired individual Yankees over the years), the Yankees have too much class for too many of their own fans.

@EasyAce

I agree.
Anyone who didn't admire a Mariano Rivera, for example, was just was blinded by Yankee bias.
Yes, I root against them, but I do admire anyone who is that good at what they do.
I have a lot of fun poking their fans on twitter/social media, and lately, it's almost been too easy.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2020, 12:05:09 am »
Anyone who didn't admire a Mariano Rivera, for example, was just was blinded by Yankee bias.
A Mariano, a Jeter, a Mattingly, a Winfield, a Guidry, a Roy White (sometimes I think he's the most under-appreciated Yankee), a Stottlemyre, a Yogi, a McDougald, a Ford, a Mantle, a DiMaggio, a Gehrig.

And every poor sap not named Billy Martin who rode the Steinbrennerian manager-go-round between 1978 and 1991.

I have a lot of fun poking their fans on twitter/social media, and lately, it's almost been too easy.
There've always been times when this or that team's fan base earned such mockery.

But then there've been those sub-sets who were just plain fun to see even if you didn't root for their teams. Like the Panda Heads at Giants games for Pablo (Kung Fu Panda) Sandoval; the Cub fans who developed the Shawon-O-Meter for then-promising shortstop Shawon Dunston; the younger Met fans of their hapless early seasons; and, especially, that group of Ebbets Field fans who made up this motley crew of non-musicians but made Dodger games even that much more riotous . . .

« Last Edit: February 20, 2020, 03:00:07 am by EasyAce »

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2020, 02:17:24 am »
I believe her.    :smokin:    :bolt:

She's kinda cute.  But not Baseball Wife cute. :bolt:
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2020, 01:09:04 pm »
And every poor sap not named Billy Martin who rode the Steinbrennerian manager-go-round between 1978 and 1991.

@EasyAce
Well, I just felt sorry for those manager guys, but not that much......
 :cool:

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2020, 01:11:40 pm »
She's kinda cute.  But not Baseball Wife cute. :bolt:

I dunno, something about those eyes.
That have that.................look

Online Polly Ticks

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2020, 02:19:39 pm »
"Ardent lady fan" = "austere religious scholar".  Let's just call her a nut job and be done with it.

Regarding this -

Good luck getting any of that inside the gates in the current era.
Prohibited Items Not Allowed in Dodger Stadium
Prohibited items not allowed in the stadium include: glass bottles, cans, weapons, poles, umbrellas, masks, backpacks, purses or bags with dimensions larger than 16" x 16" x 8", hard sided coolers, thermoses, beach balls, inflatables, banners, signs, flags, use of laser pointers, firecrackers/fireworks, boom boxes, air horns, whistles, musical instruments, pets, unmanned aerial vehicles or drones, cannabis and other items at the discretion of Dodger Stadium Management.
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2020, 02:52:27 pm »
Regarding this - Good luck getting any of that inside the gates in the current era.
@Polly Ticks
I know---the spoilsports don't seem to know all of their own history!

But I think I know why the Dodgers and other teams have that restriction. In the 1970s, if you remember those big, long plastic horns from carnivals and from boardwalk concessions, fans were bringing them plus things boating air horns to the parks---and those things blasted louder than a Black Sabbath concert. Fan noise and the likes of the Dodger Sym-Phony Band were one thing, but those blasters were something else entirely. I could be wrong, but I think fans and players alike complained often enough that they were finally banned.

I remember sitting in Shea Stadium watching a Mets game once and, about six seats away from me, someone had one of those horns blasting off every so often and it was jolting, to say the least. Then, when I rode the number 7 el train back to Woodside, where I caught the Long Island Rail Road home to Long Beach, one of the jerks with the air horns kept blasting his on that train celebrating the Mets' win (it was over the Cardinals) and it was even worse.