Author Topic: Trump expected to commute sentencing of former Illinois Gov. Rod Blagojevich  (Read 2551 times)

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
The President is still standing --- so his instincts must be pretty good.

Clearly someone missed their calling.

« Last Edit: February 19, 2020, 05:37:08 am by txradioguy »
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
Every day, I become more and more content to live in a state where "none of these candidates" is a ballot option. I've exercised it from the first time I voted in Nevada in 2008, and I've felt nothing but satisfied that I won't be contributing to the continuing delinquency of the nation's largest organised crime family.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

Proof positive that some people here will defend everything and anything Trump does.

Too funny...too true.

I view Blagojevich's commuted sentence as a natural extension of President Trump's extreme dedication to fighting corruption.

Commute the Swamp!
Trump 2020

Offline mountaineer

Blago deserved prison for his crime of corruption, but not a 14 year sentence, as if he were a murderer. He served 8. I have no problem with commuting the rest of it. (And I say that as a former assistant prosecuting attorney).
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
Big whoop. Trump sneezing is a bad move in your opinion.   :shrug:

Yeah, Swampbuster Donald Trump is really on the job reeeellll good huh?

Who's next?  Madoff?
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
Too funny...too true.

I view Blagojevich's commuted sentence as a natural extension of President Trump's extreme dedication to fighting corruption.

Commute the Swamp!
Trump 2020

Yes, the Roger Stone fiasco is starting to make sense too.  Sleaze Incorported.   This  Pogo cartoon meme is alive in well in the WH.  I had just started beginning to really support this POTUS, and he is doing everything he can to ruin that for me and others.

I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Applewood

Blago deserved prison for his crime of corruption, but not a 14 year sentence, as if he were a murderer. He served 8. I have no problem with commuting the rest of it. (And I say that as a former assistant prosecuting attorney).

Well, you would know more about this stuff than I.  But I read that 14 years is within the sentencing guidelines and that judges have some latitude in deciding what sentence to impose.  Maybe if the judge exceeded the guidelines for no valid reason, I might agree with you, but if 14 years is within the guidelines, then IMHO it was fair. 

When this case was going on, all I heard about was that Blago had attempted to sell Obama's old senate seat, but apparently, it was more than that.   There were multiple charges.  Among other things, Blago was convicted of mail and wire fraud, attempted extortion, conspiracy to solicit bribes and making false statements.  I'd like to think the judge threw the book at Blago because his crimes were so extensive, not because the judge didn't like him or, as I had heard, Obama was mad that Blago tried to sell his senate seat (he wanted to sell it himself), so Obama (or someone on his behalf) influenced the judge to give Blago the maximum. 

Anyway, Blago is out, so this is all a moot point.  But although Trump is under no obligation to do so, I would like to hear him explain the real reasons why he pardoned or commuted the sentences of Blago and the rest of the lowlifes.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!

Who's next?  Madoff?

Madoff is asking for an early release as he has cancer...

https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/05/business/bernie-madoff-prison-release-request/index.html
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Applewood

Who's next?  Madoff?

You know, I was thinking the same thing.  At least Madoff claims he is dying and letting him out on compassionate grounds would make sense (although IMHO he should rot in prison).  Certainly a more valid reason than the ones Trump gave yesterday about Blago (he seems like a nice guy?).

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher

Nope...   14 was deserved.  Only 8 for murder?  That's a crime by itself.

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
You know, I was thinking the same thing.  At least Madoff claims he is dying and letting him out on compassionate grounds would make sense (although IMHO he should rot in prison).  Certainly a more valid reason than the ones Trump gave yesterday about Blago (he seems like a nice guy?).

9 times out of 10, I'd agree.  But considering the breadth (35,000 people, and $65B stolen) with his act, I think I'll leave my compassion hat at home today.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39

Who's next?  Madoff?

Give him time...that's for his second term.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline Applewood

9 times out of 10, I'd agree.  But considering the breadth (35,000 people, and $65B stolen) with his act, I think I'll leave my compassion hat at home today.

Zactly. 

Offline mortarman

Wasn't Sock Monkey praised for commuting the sentence of that preverted traitor freak Manning? An' how about the crooks that Bubba the Rapist pardoned?

The only controls I want on my guns are the ones that I operate myself such as trigger, bolt or slide, safety selector, magazine release an' optics. All others are unnecessary an' unwanted.

Online Hoodat

Just watched the Blago presser.  He looks like a changed man.  No more of that 'greasy politician' look on his face.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

Nope...   14 was deserved.  Only 8 for murder?  That's a crime by itself.
Come on @catfish1957 .  Why not join the GOP in their new found compassion and justification for a sleezy rat?  This is the NEW conservatism.  Hillary Blagojevich has been through enough.

Offline verga

BKMK
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline musiclady

Just watched the Blago presser.  He looks like a changed man.  No more of that 'greasy politician' look on his face.

He always looked like a Cabbage Patch doll to me.  happy77
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline skeeter

Don't bother. The thread has taken the usual, boring turn.

Offline musiclady

Hey! Cabbage Patch dolls are NOT boring!
 happy77

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Offline skeeter

Hey! Cabbage Patch dolls are NOT boring!
 happy77

Lol he really did look like one.

Apparently prison beat the cabbage out of him.

Offline aligncare

My only issue with this commutation is that I still can’t pronounce Rod Blogo’s name now that he’s the topic of conversation again!

Offline musiclady

Lol he really did look like one.

Apparently prison beat the cabbage out of him.

****drummer

Offline Lando Lincoln

I had two private meetings with him while he was governor.  More vulgar in his manner of speaking than any person I have ever met. 
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline Applewood

My only issue with this commutation is that I still can’t pronounce Rod Blogo’s name now that he’s the topic of conversation again!

Not only can't I pronounce it, I can't spell it.  And my last name is worse than his.  I guess it's a mental block or something.

So it's Blago or Bogo or something short.