General Category > Military/Defense News

Here's Why It's a Good Thing the US Military is Getting Rid of the M14

(1/2) > >>

rangerrebew:

Here's Why It's a Good Thing the US Military is Getting Rid of the M14

13 Feb 2020
We Are The Mighty | By Jim Grant

The M14 is one of the worst DMRs in history, and should have never been adopted by the military.

That's a powerful statement, but a mostly objective one.

While the M14's design originated from what General Patton dubbed "The greatest battle implement ever devised" — the M1 Garand — by the 1950s it was already outdated. Military small arms development had seen unparalleled growth throughout World War II and this growth continued into the Cold War.

https://www.military.com/off-duty/2020/02/13/heres-why-its-good-thing-us-military-getting-rid-m14.html

sneakypete:

--- Quote from: rangerrebew on February 17, 2020, 04:37:14 pm ---Here's Why It's a Good Thing the US Military is Getting Rid of the M14

13 Feb 2020
We Are The Mighty | By Jim Grant

The M14 is one of the worst DMRs in history, and should have never been adopted by the military.

That's a powerful statement, but a mostly objective one.

While the M14's design originated from what General Patton dubbed "The greatest battle implement ever devised" — the M1 Garand — by the 1950s it was already outdated. Military small arms development had seen unparalleled growth throughout World War II and this growth continued into the Cold War.

https://www.military.com/off-duty/2020/02/13/heres-why-its-good-thing-us-military-getting-rid-m14.html

--- End quote ---

Uhhh,call me Captain Obvious,but the military pretty much got rid of the M-14 around 1968.

PeteS in CA:
Actually, a variant, the M-14 EBR, came into use in 2002.

Contrary to what the article implied, the M-14 was selective fire, while the M-1 is semi-automatic. The supposed problems with the M-14 - I cannot speak from experience - were that it was long and heavy, and difficult to control in full-automatic. Some who used it, however, love(d) it.

Bigun:

--- Quote from: sneakypete on February 18, 2020, 02:04:43 am ---Uhhh,call me Captain Obvious,but the military pretty much got rid of the M-14 around 1968 as the standard-issue infantry weapon.

--- End quote ---

I fixed it for you @sneakypete

The M-14 is still in the inventory and still used I do believe.

skeeter:

--- Quote from: sneakypete on February 18, 2020, 02:04:43 am ---Uhhh,call me Captain Obvious,but the military pretty much got rid of the M-14 around 1968.

--- End quote ---

Its still the military's 'Designated Marskman Rifle'.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version