Author Topic: Brady to host Navasota town hall with opponents of Texas bullet train  (Read 462 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Houston Chronicle by Dug Begley Feb. 13, 2020

Rural residents remain bitterly opposed to a proposed high-speed rail line from Houston to Dallas, an unchanged position the past five years that is expected to be on full display in Navasota next week.

Congressman Kevin Brady, a Woodlands Republican who has remained opposed to the bullet train, announced Thursday he would hold a town hall meeting Wednesday at 6 p.m. at the Grimes County Expo Center. The meeting is in conjunction with Texans Against High-Speed Rail, the opposition group that has helped landowners fight property claims by the company planning the train.

The meeting precedes the expected release later this month of the Federal Railroad Administration’s proposed safety and environmental rules for the project.

Texas Central, a group of Texas-based investors, has since 2013 proposed a bullet train linking Houston and Dallas. The private company, which would seek international investment and possibly tap federally-backed loans, plans to use Japanese Shinkansen trains along a sealed corridor, likely from south of downtown Dallas to near Loop 610 and U.S. 290, the current site of Northwest Mall.

More: https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/transportation/article/Brady-to-host-Navasota-town-hall-with-opponents-15054362.php

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Re: Brady to host Navasota town hall with opponents of Texas bullet train
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2020, 06:31:07 pm »
Now with Rick Perry gone as Governor, who in the state offices still support this monstrosity anyway?
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2020, 06:44:49 pm »
The only chance of success for a new train is to serve a route that highways do not.  Something like Atlanta-Charleston, Atlanta-Jacksonville, St. Louis-Houston, etc.  But the one feature that is not currently offered is that the train would also carry a passenger vehicle.

Let's say I wanted to travel from Atlanta to Jacksonville.  I would much prefer to ride a train with my car being ferried as well instead of having to lease one when I arrive.  This is how I have always envisioned rail travel.  Trains loaded with vehicles traveling on magnetic rails inside long wind tunnels to eliminate drag.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2020, 06:57:12 pm »
Am I the only one who would feel a bit hesitant riding something going 300 mph gliding on a magnet?
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2020, 07:02:16 pm »
Am I the only one who would feel a bit hesitant riding something going 300 mph gliding on a magnet?

Wus.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-