Author Topic: Memphis Belle Unveiling (video)  (Read 408 times)

Offline EdinVA

Memphis Belle Unveiling (video)
« on: February 14, 2020, 03:23:49 am »
Recently EAA staff attended the opening of the B-17F Memphis Belle exhibit, which honored the first heavy bomber aircraft and crew to complete 25 missions over Europe during WWII and return home to the U.S. The aircraft had previously been on display in Memphis, Tennessee, for many years. It was acquired by the National Museum of the U.S. Air Force in 2005 and had been in restoration until earlier this year. The opening coincided with the 75th anniversary of the crew and airplane’s 25th mission.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcRXOdqwxwE

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: Memphis Belle Unveiling (video)
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2020, 07:56:48 am »
Nice restoration, and presentation in the museum from what I can see. First time I noted the bathing suits on the nose art are different colors on the port and starboard sides.

How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

rangerrebew

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2020, 12:09:40 pm »
Nice restoration, and presentation in the museum from what I can see. 

I didn't see the dedication, but I was there the day it went on display and it was a beautiful restoration. :patriot:

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2020, 06:46:09 pm »
I didn't see the dedication, but I was there the day it went on display and it was a beautiful restoration. :patriot:
I was fortunate enough to board the Collings Foundation's 909 when it visited locally, along with the All American (B-24). Standing in the top gunner position with a t-shirt and leather jacket on, the position was pretty snug. I never could have been a ball turret gunner.
I have always had a fascination with and enduring respect for those who flew in those planes, especially in combat.

(12 O'Clock High remains one of my favorite movies.)
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis