Author Topic: Trump again walks back remarks on cutting Social Security  (Read 453 times)

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
Trump again walks back remarks on cutting Social Security
« on: March 07, 2020, 02:09:16 am »
By Brett Samuels - 03/06/20 03:05 PM EST

President Trump on Friday vowed to protect Social Security and Medicare after appearing to say at a town hall the night before that he would look to cut funding for those types of programs if elected to a second term.

"I will protect your Social Security and Medicare, just as I have for the past 3 years," Trump tweeted, claiming that Democratic presidential candidate Joe Biden "will destroy both in very short order, and he won’t even know he’s doing it!"

https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/486340-trump-again-walks-back-remarks-on-cutting-social-security
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

Re: Trump again walks back remarks on cutting Social Security
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2020, 02:18:55 am »
Trump says Biden will destroy SS and Med.  Biden says Trump will destroy them.  I want to vote for the one that will destroy them, but I don't know which liar to believe.

Offline mrclose

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2020, 02:28:57 am »
Some of you give the leftists media a run for their money!
Of course, that is probably where you get your talking/posting ideas.

Remember kids, Slowing the Rate of Increase in spending is a CUT to these people.
"Hell is empty, all the devil's are here!"
~ Self

Online Hoodat

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2020, 02:33:29 am »
By Brett Samuels - 03/06/20 03:05 PM EST

President Trump on Friday vowed to protect Social Security and Medicare after appearing to say at a town hall the night before that he would look to cut funding for those types of programs if elected to a second term.

In other words, Trump never said he cut funding for Social Security.  Yet here we have people pushing the false narrative that he did.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2020, 02:46:17 am »
And what Kelly Anne  said later on what the President was saying has gotten a lot of attention as well:

https://www.foxnews.com/media/conway-trump-spoke-about-cutting-deficit-not-entitlements-during-fox-news-town-hall-in-penn

So, this is indeed, a story in the news. Best to always approach truthfully.

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2020, 03:00:32 am »
I wish republicans would learn how to direct a conversation...
An entitlement is something you did nothing to receive, i.e. welfare, medicaid, subsidies.
Social Security and Medicare I paid a monthly premium for, an insurance policy.
Now, if we want to get the feds out of ss and medicare, fine, just give me my money back and I will reinvest it, otherwise forget it.

Offline Longiron

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2020, 03:33:40 pm »
An entitlement is something you did nothing to receive, i.e. welfare, medicaid, subsidies.
Now, if we want to get the feds out of ss and medicare, fine, just give me my money back and I will reinvest it, otherwise forget it.

They want all the people that paid for the above to think that they are getting "free stuff" like the illegal aliens, welfare recipients or any type of Gov't free handouts by using the word "Entitlement" . That way they feel free to cut entitlements including the things people paid for. BS.  If SS and Medicare are not entitlements? Medicaid is and so is Welfare. Cut the real entitlements and quit trying to BS the people again. Good news is there are some people that are on to their schemes?  :yowsa:

Offline skeeter

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2020, 03:39:42 pm »
And what Kelly Anne  said later on what the President was saying has gotten a lot of attention as well:

https://www.foxnews.com/media/conway-trump-spoke-about-cutting-deficit-not-entitlements-during-fox-news-town-hall-in-penn

So, this is indeed, a story in the news. Best to always approach truthfully.

For some spreading truth is not the goal.

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2020, 03:52:01 pm »
"When a moderator noted that curtailing the national debt would require cutting entitlement programs, Trump indicated that would be happening.
"Oh, we’ll be cutting, but we're also going to have growth like you've never had before," Trump said.

Liberals seized on the comment as evidence Trump would threaten social safety net programs in his second term
. But White House officials claimed the president was speaking broadly about cutting deficits."

Sure they did.
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline ChemEngrMBA

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2020, 05:47:47 pm »

EdinVA, "focus LOL".

Still not a whisper from you since your February 12 giggle:   

Quote from: EdinVA on February 12, 2020, 05:07:15 PM
hmm, Evolution to freezing water???
Focus... lol

@EdinVA , instead of giggling about what we have discussed, why don't you add something YOU consider germane and interesting.  Give it your best shot.  Focus.

The Book Commentary: "The book (Brilliant Creations - The Wonder of Nature and Life) is pure genius."
Review by John Orosz, M.D. "It is beyond outstanding. Please send me twenty signed copies for colleagues, family, and libraries."
"I was running every morning for twenty years with a genius." - Mike McCartney, D.D.S.
"You have the most agile mind of anyone I know." -
Avice Marie Griffin, PhD, Clinical Psychologist

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2020, 08:56:25 pm »
EdinVA, "focus LOL".

Still not a whisper from you since your February 12 giggle:   

Quote from: EdinVA on February 12, 2020, 05:07:15 PM
hmm, Evolution to freezing water???
Focus... lol

@EdinVA , instead of giggling about what we have discussed, why don't you add something YOU consider germane and interesting.  Give it your best shot.  Focus.

http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,384170.msg2135998.html#msg2135998