General Category > Editorial/Opinion/Blogs

Conservatism Is the Real Resistance

(1/9) > >>

mystery-ak:
Conservatism Is the Real Resistance

The anti-Trump “resistance” deserves another name: #TheReactionaries. They believe they are always moving, ever pursuing social change, pushing for more reform, more correction, but having conquered so much of American society, they are, in effect, a mighty status quo.

February 12, 2020

If you ask conservatives what they stand for—I mean genuine conservatives, not libertarians who were aligned with conservatives long ago because of a shared anti-Communism even though their social beliefs were wholly liberal—here is what they will say: “God. Family. Country.”

Yes, it’s that simple. Conservatives want a churchgoing public, stable families, and national identity. Limited government, low taxes, free markets, and deregulation are secondary commitments.

Establishment Republicans didn’t understand this, which is why they underestimated in 2015 the appeal of Donald Trump. Trump’s “Build the wall!” slogan hindered the free flow of labor that businesses favored, and the other candidates slammed him. But Republican voters loved it. Finally! A leader who understands that a country without borders is not a country.

When Trump promised that his White House would say “Merry Christmas,” he picked a fight that most Republican politicians preferred to avoid. But voters found it mighty refreshing for one of their leaders to respect the Christian meaning of December 25.

more
https://amgreatness.com/2020/02/11/conservatism-is-the-real-resistance/

TomSea:
I do believe my vote is more to keep the Democrats out rather than just being a big fan of the GOP. Some I definitely am a big fan.

Bigun:

--- Quote ---Conservatism Is the Real Resistance
--- End quote ---

And insisting that we adhere to the Constitution as written is Conservatism IMHO!

libertybele:

--- Quote from: Bigun on February 12, 2020, 05:15:37 pm ---And insisting that we adhere to the Constitution as written is Conservatism IMHO!

--- End quote ---

:amen:  :patriot: :patriot: :patriot:

Maj. Bill Martin:

--- Quote from: mystery-ak on February 12, 2020, 04:59:15 pm ---
If you ask conservatives what they stand for—I mean genuine conservatives, not libertarians who were aligned with conservatives long ago because of a shared anti-Communism even though their social beliefs were wholly liberal—here is what they will say: “God. Family. Country.”

Yes, it’s that simple. Conservatives want a churchgoing public, stable families, and national identity. Limited government, low taxes, free markets, and deregulation are secondary commitments.

--- End quote ---

As a libertarian-leaning conservative, I'll just point out that your definition of conservative doesn't really have anything to do with politics at all.  You don't need a government to tell you to go to church or have a stable family. "National identify" may, but it is so broad as to be pretty meaningless.

In terms of what I want out of my government, the three things you listed second are what are important to me.  The other things I can handle on my own, and would prefer the government stay away from.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version