Author Topic: Despite the U.S. becoming a net petroleum exporter, most regions are still net importers  (Read 1016 times)

Offline thackney

Despite the U.S. becoming a net petroleum exporter, most regions are still net importers
https://www.eia.gov/todayinenergy/detail.php?id=42735
FEBRUARY 6, 2020

In November 2019, the United States exported 772,000 barrels per day (b/d) more petroleum (crude oil and petroleum products) than it imported, marking the third consecutive month in which the United States was a net petroleum exporter. Although the United States is a net petroleum exporter as a whole, most regions other than the U.S. Gulf Coast region remain net petroleum importers.

Net petroleum trade is calculated as the total imports of crude oil and petroleum products minus the total exports of crude oil and petroleum products. In September 2019, the United States became a net petroleum exporter for the first time since monthly records began in 1973.

The United States is a net importer of crude oil. In November 2019, the latest monthly data, it imported 5.8 million b/d of crude oil and exported 3.0 million b/d of crude oil. The United States is a net exporter of petroleum products (such as distillate fuel, motor gasoline, and jet fuel). In November 2019, the United States exported 5.8 million b/d of petroleum products and imported 2.2 million b/d of petroleum products.

Regional petroleum trade patterns are still determined by geographical factors, existing infrastructure, regional balances of supply and demand, and other constraints—factors that often change slowly. In recent years, significant growth in crude oil output and infrastructure changes to refineries, pipelines, and terminals in the U.S. Gulf Coast region have led to most of the changes in U.S. petroleum trade patterns.

Of the five regions (also referred to as Petroleum Administration for Defense Districts), only the U.S. Gulf Coast currently exports more crude oil than it imports: 2.9 million b/d of exports compared with 1.2 million b/d of imports in November. The Gulf Coast continues to import primarily heavy, high-sulfur crude oil, which most Gulf Coast refineries are configured to process. Imports from Mexico and Canada are nearly tied as the largest sources of Gulf Coast crude oil imports.

Canada is also the largest source of crude oil imports for the Midwest, which is now the largest crude oil importing region; crude oil net imports totaled 2.5 million b/d in November. In other regions, crude oil trade patterns are relatively unchanged.

Similar regional differences exist for petroleum products as well. The United States has been a net exporter of motor gasoline on an annual basis since 2016; motor gasoline exports—mostly from the U.S. Gulf Coast—have more than offset motor gasoline imports, especially to the U.S. East Coast.

The U.S. Energy Information Administration’s (EIA) January 2020 Short-Term Energy Outlook forecasts that U.S. petroleum net exports will average 0.8 million b/d in 2020 and 1.4 million b/d in 2021. If these forecasts are realized, the United States would be a net petroleum exporter for the first time on an annual basis in EIA's data series that dates back to 1949. EIA forecasts that the United States will remain a net importer of crude oil in both years, importing a net 3.9 million b/d of crude oil in 2020 and 2.9 million b/d in 2021.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline EdinVA

Well, my understanding is that we use pipelines to send all of the crude oil pumped out of the ground to the gulf because:
1.  That is where the refineries are
2.  access to Shipping

So this makes sense to me but I do not understand why this is significant or surprising.

Offline thackney

Well, my understanding is that we use pipelines to send all of the crude oil pumped out of the ground to the gulf because:
2.  access to Shipping

So this makes sense to me but I do not understand why this is significant or surprising.

Many refineries are near the Gulf Coast but not all.  When we used to import a lot of crude oil this helped.  Also from the early days of oil production when Texas & Oklahoma produced much of the nations crude oil.

https://pipeline101.org/where-are-pipelines-located

Offline Absalom

Hmm..........why not breakdown energy exports by mailing addresses???
Then we'll know that the southeast corner of Mishagosh County is
a net exporter while southwest Mishagosh is an importer?????
This analysis to way beyond goofy and too dumb for words!!!!!

Offline EdinVA

Many refineries are near the Gulf Coast but not all.  When we used to import a lot of crude oil this helped.  Also from the early days of oil production when Texas & Oklahoma produced much of the nations crude oil.

https://pipeline101.org/where-are-pipelines-located
Thank you @thackney for the info....

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

2.  access to Shipping

a lot of people believe when they fill up their car with gas it is produced in America.

Must likely it is not totally
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Hmm..........why not breakdown energy exports by mailing addresses???
Then we'll know that the southeast corner of Mishagosh County is
a net exporter while southwest Mishagosh is an importer?????
This analysis to way beyond goofy and too dumb for words!!!!!
I am in North Dakota (exports 45,000,000 bbl of crude oil a month, as of last November), and is generally included in the Rocky Mountain region in the industry (but not in this graphic). Had it been, the Rockies would be shown as a net exporter, too.
Yes, Virginia, Michigan has an oil patch, too.
Yet, we're lumped in with Illinois and other importing states. Gotta draw the line somewhere.

I can see the Northeast importing energy (by boat), because New York won't allow new pipelines or fraccing and cuts off the rest of New England. The west coast is a victim of its own 'wokeness', so I can see them importing, too.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

2.  access to Shipping

less than half of the refining capacity of US is along Gulf Coast, although refineries are prevalent there.

They are scattered across the US.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline thackney

less than half of the refining capacity of US is along Gulf Coast, although refineries are prevalent there.

They are scattered across the US.

Actually it is slightly over half the nation's refining Capacity.

Number and Capacity of Operable Petroleum Refineries by PAD District and State as of January 1, 2019
https://www.eia.gov/petroleum/refinerycapacity/table1.pdf

Actually it is slightly over half the nation's refining Capacity.

Number and Capacity of Operable Petroleum Refineries by PAD District and State as of January 1, 2019
https://www.eia.gov/petroleum/refinerycapacity/table1.pdf
Without belaboring the point further, those statistics include New Mexico, which is decidedly not along the Gulf Coast, plus all of Texas, which includes a number of refineries far away from the coast as well.

The poster had envisioned virtually all refining capacity was along the Gulf Coast and, although it is concentrated there, more than half the capacity is spread out among a number of other places, including 25 states not along the Gulf Coast.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Without belaboring the point further, those statistics include New Mexico, which is decidedly not along the Gulf Coast, plus all of Texas, which includes a number of refineries far away from the coast as well.

The poster had envisioned virtually all refining capacity was along the Gulf Coast and, although it is concentrated there, more than half the capacity is spread out among a number of other places, including 25 states not along the Gulf Coast.
One of thee biggest refining complexes is in the US Virgin Islands (St. Croix), technically still the US.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis