Author Topic: Pentagon Seeks $10.3 Billion to Buy the Stealthy B-21 Raider  (Read 415 times)

rangerrebew

Pentagon Seeks $10.3 Billion to Buy the Stealthy B-21 Raider
« on: February 12, 2020, 01:29:56 pm »

Posted February 10, 2020
By Roxana Tiron and Tony Capaccio (Bloomberg News)   

The Pentagon is planning to spend almost $10.3 billion over four years to buy Northrop Grumman Corp.’s new stealth bomber, the B-21 Raider, according to budget projections for fiscal 2021 to 2025.

The Air Force would start procurement of the new bomber in 2022 with a projected request of $193 million, according to Air Force budget projections obtained by Bloomberg News. The procurement projections would significantly increase over the following three years: $2.3 billion in fiscal 2023, $3.4 billion in fiscal 2024, and $4.3 billion in fiscal 2025, amounting to a total of $10.28 billion over the planning period.

https://about.bgov.com/news/pentagon-seeks-10-3-billion-to-buy-the-stealthy-b-21-raider/

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: Pentagon Seeks $10.3 Billion to Buy the Stealthy B-21 Raider
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2020, 01:45:55 pm »
So, just curious, but how many B-21s does that buy?
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2020, 02:04:52 pm »
I can't tell either... pretty crappy writing

Offline thackney

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2020, 02:28:26 pm »

The Air Force last year said it planned to buy a minimum of 100 Northrop long-range bombers expected to be operational in “the mid-2020s.”
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline EdinVA

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2020, 04:44:16 pm »
From another article....
B-21 Bomber Estimate By CAPE: $511M A Copyhttps://breakingdefense.com/2016/09/b-21-bomber-estimate-by-cape-511m-a-copy/

So this $10b is a down payment
Yeah, but consider a new 747 costs upwards of $370 million, and it doesn't have stealth, or a nuclear capability (unless someone in baggage and the TSA really screws up).

Heck, just filling the fuel tanks costs a couple hundred thousand.

Nothing in aviation is cheap.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2020, 04:45:17 pm by Smokin Joe »
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2020, 04:59:19 pm »
Yeah, but consider a new 747 costs upwards of $370 million, and it doesn't have stealth, or a nuclear capability (unless someone in baggage and the TSA really screws up).

Heck, just filling the fuel tanks costs a couple hundred thousand.

Nothing in aviation is cheap.

In my book, if you are willing to strap a 400,000 lb machine on your back and fly into combat, you deserve the best money can buy.
My frustration with our procurement is  we drip $$ out till we get to a point of no return then get slammed with a huge bill... And more often than not, a new "czar" will decide to change direction and all that effort is wasted..

Offline Idiot

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2020, 03:18:59 am »
Posted February 10, 2020
By Roxana Tiron and Tony Capaccio (Bloomberg News)   

The Pentagon is planning to spend almost $10.3 billion over four years to buy Northrop Grumman Corp.’s new stealth bomber, the B-21 Raider, according to budget projections for fiscal 2021 to 2025.

The Air Force would start procurement of the new bomber in 2022 with a projected request of $193 million, according to Air Force budget projections obtained by Bloomberg News. The procurement projections would significantly increase over the following three years: $2.3 billion in fiscal 2023, $3.4 billion in fiscal 2024, and $4.3 billion in fiscal 2025, amounting to a total of $10.28 billion over the planning period.

https://about.bgov.com/news/pentagon-seeks-10-3-billion-to-buy-the-stealthy-b-21-raider/
Can't wait to see her fly in my backyard.  happy77

rangerrebew

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2020, 12:45:30 pm »
I can't help but think the bomber is going the way of the battleship. :dighole:

Offline thackney

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2020, 01:14:59 pm »
I can't help but think the bomber is going the way of the battleship. :dighole:

I do not think so.  Not when the bombers can carry cruise missiles.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer