Author Topic: President Trump Touts Regaining Control of the Border, Calls for Merit-Based Immigration System  (Read 781 times)

rangerrebew

President Trump Touts Regaining Control of the Border, Calls for Merit-Based Immigration System

(February 4, 2020, Washington, D.C.) — The following statement was issued by Dan Stein, president of the Federation for American Immigration Reform (FAIR) in response to President Trump’s remarks regarding immigration in the State of the Union Address:

“Over the past nine months, President Trump demonstrated that chaotic borders and rampant abuse of our humanitarian policies do not amount to an uncontrollable phenomenon that the American people must simply learn to accept. In his State of the Union Address this evening, the president rightfully noted the significant success his administration has achieved in reasserting some measure of control along our southern border through the exercise of executive authority. It is now up to Congress to carry out its responsibility to ensure long-lasting solutions to illegal immigration, including funding a border wall, and to close gaping loopholes that have led to large-scale asylum abuse.

https://www.fairus.org/press-releases/president-trump-touts-regaining-control-border-calls-merit-based-immigration-system

Offline skeeter

Amen. Those who immigrate based upon merit will at least be more receptive to appeals for self reliance and smaller government. Unlike the millions of wards of the state the bureaucrats are importing now.

If this does not happen real soon we are finished.

Offline berdie

I think there used to be certain requirements. A sponsor in the country, a job, the willingness to learn the language the refusal of going on the "dole".

That was what I was told by a friend (and naturalized citizen) when she and her family immigrated from Mexico in the 60's. That doesn't seem like an outlandish request. Her Dad worked 3 jobs most of his life and she and her sisters are productive, college educated  citizens.

What has changed? Totally rhetorical, btw, I know the answer.

Offline libertybele

Amen. Those who immigrate based upon merit will at least be more receptive to appeals for self reliance and smaller government. Unlike the millions of wards of the state the bureaucrats are importing now.

If this does not happen real soon we are finished.

Those who migrate or those who come here illegally?  Sorry, but gaining entry ILLEGALLY is still illegal. 

I still believe that there needs to be a moratorium on ALL migration into this country.  Complete the border wall.  No asylum.  Once those three things are accomplished, then we can start letting people in LEGALLY!

Anything else is nothing but asylum.  No one 'merits' a free pass.  This is one part of Trump's State of the Union speech that did trouble me.

Combine this thought with his push for redoing our infrastructure and the first thought to my mind while watching his speech, was I need to listen and watch carefully for hints of a North American Union.

Yes, I think Trump delivered an excellent State of the Union speech and do believe that the best is yet to come.

However, I am keeping my eyes wide open. His actions on amnesty, illegal immigration and the 2A still need to be watched very carefully.  Deviation on either issue is cause for alarm and would warrant re-evaluation of my vote.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2020, 07:33:31 pm by libertybele »
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline skeeter

Those who migrate or those who come here illegally?  Sorry, but gaining entry ILLEGALLY is still illegal. 

I still believe that there needs to be a moratorium on ALL migration into this country.  Complete the border wall.  No asylum.  Once those three things are accomplished, then we can start letting people in LEGALLY!

Anything else is nothing but asylum.  No one 'merits' a free pass.  This is one part of Trump's State of the Union speech that did trouble me.

Combine this thought with his push for redoing our infrastructure and the first thought to my mind while watching his speech, was I need to listen and watch carefully for hints of a North American Union.

Yes, I think Trump delivered an excellent State of the Union speech and do believe that the best is yet to come.

However, I am keeping my eyes wide open. His actions on amnesty, illegal immigration and the 2A still need to be watched very carefully.  Deviation on either issue is cause for alarm and would warrant re-evaluation of my vote.

When Trump calls for a merit based system he's referring to legal immigration. Illegal immigration should not be tolerated - ever.

I agree with a moratorium ala 1924 through 65. But as with meaningful entitlement reform & a flat tax that just ain't gonna happen .

Offline libertybele

When Trump calls for a merit based system he's referring to legal immigration. Illegal immigration should not be tolerated - ever.

I agree with a moratorium ala 1924 through 65. But as with meaningful entitlement reform & a flat tax that just ain't gonna happen .

Thanks for the clarification.  I have no problem with merit based LEGAL migration. 

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
I've posted this before, I'll post it again:
It's time to END ALL immigration.
End it for 50-75 years.
With a very, very few exceptions.

The United States is "full up".
We don't need no' mo'.

It will take 50 years to assimilate those here now, IF that's even possible any more.

NO MORE IMMIGRANTS !!!
NONE !!!

Offline libertybele

I've posted this before, I'll post it again:
It's time to END ALL immigration.
End it for 50-75 years.
With a very, very few exceptions.

The United States is "full up".
We don't need no' mo'.

It will take 50 years to assimilate those here now, IF that's even possible any more.

NO MORE IMMIGRANTS !!!
NONE !!!

Problem is there are a lot of illegals now that don't feel that the have to assimilate -- they've been given priority treatment.  Why should they?  I agree -- we need a moratorium on ALL migration into this country. No migration. No asylum. 

Offline skeeter

Problem is there are a lot of illegals now that don't feel that the have to assimilate -- they've been given priority treatment.  Why should they?  I agree -- we need a moratorium on ALL migration into this country. No migration. No asylum.

And we've got so many non-native voters here already who have friends and family members abroad they'd like to bring in, and who might like to transform this country into something more familiar to themselves, that invoking an immigration ban may now be politically impossible. We've already got one entire political party, and half of the other, calling anyone who doesn't embrace their 'come one come all' philosophy all kind of nasty names.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2020, 11:34:52 pm by skeeter »