Author Topic: States Need to Answer for Stubbornly High Electricity Bills  (Read 708 times)

Offline thackney

States Need to Answer for Stubbornly High Electricity Bills
« on: February 17, 2020, 04:24:55 pm »
States Need to Answer for Stubbornly High Electricity Bills
https://www.realclearenergy.org/articles/2020/02/14/states_need_to_answer_for_stubbornly_high_electricity_bills_484115.html
February 14, 2020

While fuel prices are plummeting, electricity prices are staying stubbornly high. This is bad news particularly for tens of millions of low-income Americans. It also puts an unnecessary drag on economic growth.

Natural gas prices, as measured by the benchmark Henry Hub Natural Gas Spot Price, have fallen nearly 50 percent since the end of 2017. And yet according to the U.S. Energy Information Administration, the average American family paid 4 percent more per kilowatt hour of electricity in November 2019, the most recent period for which information is available, than in December 2017.

According to the U.S. Department of Energy, low income families spend 8.6 percent of their income on energy, three times more than non-low-income households. And it hurts.

A September 2018 study by the U.S. Energy Information Administration found one in five American households goes without food or medicine at least once a year to stay warm in the winter or cool in the summer. Seven million households face this decision nearly every month.

Simply put, those who can afford Teslas can deal with higher electricity prices. But many senior citizens, the poor and those struggling to get by are hit hardest....
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline roamer_1

Re: States Need to Answer for Stubbornly High Electricity Bills
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2020, 04:30:28 pm »
Fitty bucks every month... And I DO resent it.

But I need to spend around 50 grand on land, and another 15 grand on solar to get away from it, so it remains, even yet.

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2020, 04:34:11 pm »
There is a mechanism to solve this..... Vote.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2020, 04:36:26 pm »
Stubbornly high?

20 years ago, my electric bill average $250-$300 a month.  (GSU hence Entergy)

Now it average $150-$200, with really no changes except I am at home more due to retirement.  The reductions are mostly what I think are improved energy efficiencies, especially in HVAC areas.

So I really don't understand why some are claiming this.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline thackney

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2020, 04:54:26 pm »
Stubbornly high?

20 years ago, my electric bill average $250-$300 a month.  (GSU hence Entergy)

Now it average $150-$200, with really no changes except I am at home more due to retirement.  The reductions are mostly what I think are improved energy efficiencies, especially in HVAC areas.

So I really don't understand why some are claiming this.

Because you don't live in Massachusetts, New York, California or a few other states with skyrocketing electric prices.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2020, 05:17:28 pm »
The problem is the unelected Utlity Boards more or less rubber stamp every rate increase, while the electric companies invest in expensive alternative, in addition to other bookkeeping games.

People don't know how to fight it because they aren't sophisticated enough to know how to attack it in a rate case.
The Republic is lost.