Author Topic: Appeasement Backfires: Climate Alarmists Now Attack Planting Trees  (Read 250 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Climate Change Dispatch by James Taylor on Feb 6, 2020

Republican House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy is championing a proposal to show the GOP is serious about climate change, but climate activists are already trashing the proposal as weak and misguided.

McCarthy’s proposal illustrates the trap awaiting Republican policymakers who believe they should assert there is a climate crisis while proposing an alternative, watered-down solutions to the Green New Deal and other Democrat-supported proposals.

As reported by Fox News, McCarthy’s plan focuses on three prongs. The first prong entails planting trees throughout the country.

This is in accordance with the global Trillion Trees Initiative launched last month at the World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland.

The second prong calls for doubling “investment” in “clean” air research and providing tax credits for companies that export low-emissions technologies.

More: https://climatechangedispatch.com/climate-alarmists-attack-tree-planting/

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Re: Appeasement Backfires: Climate Alarmists Now Attack Planting Trees
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2020, 12:21:51 am »

Offline DB

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2020, 12:51:36 am »
There's more trees in this country now than when the Pilgrims landed.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2020, 12:58:08 am »
Every tree is an air filter.  :shrug: They suck up CO2 (plant food) and a host of pollutants.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2020, 01:07:16 am »
The city trees that pose a threat to human health

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/science/the-city-trees-that-pose-a-threat-to-human-health-1.2548050

Compounds emitted from certain trees interact in sunlight with pollutants to produce ozone, which worsens air quality

Trees in urban areas can be bad for air quality. Some trees can raise levels of nasty air pollutants. Whether this happens depends on the types of trees you plant, and planners should take this into account when making decisions on urban greening.

The warning comes from scientists who study the compounds emitted by trees. There is more to emissions than power plants or diesel engines: 90 per cent of volatile carbon emissions come from vegetation. Examples of volatile organic compounds, or VOCs, include the distinctive aroma of pinene in pine, limonene in citrus trees and linalool in lavender.

“There are literally thousands of these compounds that we have detected that are emitted by plants,” says atmospheric chemist John Wenger of University College Cork. The pungency of a cedar, eucalyptus or pine woodland is due to a blend of VOCs. Problems can occur when these mix with urban air plumes.

They interact with nitrogen-oxide pollutants from traffic and, in the presence of sunlight, produce ozone. This is a harmful pollutant at street level. It damages cells, injures lung function among vulnerable groups and has been linked to heart disease. Ozone is also toxic to plants.

Now I love trees. I've just about run out of room to plant any more trees, thought I plan to plant a few more this year.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2020, 01:14:20 am »
The city trees that pose a threat to human health

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/science/the-city-trees-that-pose-a-threat-to-human-health-1.2548050

Now I love trees. I've just about run out of room to plant any more trees, thought I plan to plant a few more this year.
Plant smelly ones, too!
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis