Author Topic: How the tiniest particles in our universe saved us from complete annihilation  (Read 445 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Watts Up With That by Anthony Watts 2/5/2020

Recently discovered ripples of spacetime called gravitational waves could contain evidence to prove the theory that life survived the Big Bang because of a phase transition that allowed neutrino particles to reshuffle matter and anti-matter, explains a new study by an international team of researchers.

How we were saved from a complete annihilation is not a question in science fiction or a Hollywood movie. According to the Big Bang theory of modern cosmology, matter was created with an equal amount of anti-matter. If it had stayed that way, matter and anti-matter should have eventually met and annihilated one to one, leading up to a complete annihilation.

But our existence contradicts this theory. To overcome a complete annihilation, the Universe must have turned a small amount of anti-matter into matter creating an imbalance between them. The imbalance needed is only a part in a billion. But it has remained a complete mystery when and how the imbalance was created.

“The Universe becomes opaque to light once we look back to around a million years after its birth. This makes the fundamental question of ‘why are we here?’ difficult to answer,” says paper co-author Jeff Dror, postdoctoral fellow at the University of California, Berkeley, and physics researcher at Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory.-----

The paper was published as an Editor’s Suggestion in Physical Review Letters online on 28 January, 2020. http://dx.doi.org/10.1103/PhysRevLett.124.041804

More: https://wattsupwiththat.com/2020/02/05/how-the-tiniest-particles-in-our-universe-saved-us-from-complete-annihilation/

Offline ChemEngrMBA

• TBR Advisory Committee
Ain't science amazin'. 

As the godless Left enjoys saying, "Science is self-correcting."  Well duh!  So is every living organism on earth, including plants and bacteria.

The godless Left also pretends that whatever this magical mystery tour of *science* does not know today, it will for sure, for sure discover you betcha.

Not so much.  Children at age two or three cannot possibly fathom all the things their parents do and think, and neither can we possibly fathom all the things Nature's God has done.

My ways are not your ways and your thoughts are not my thoughts, sayeth the Lord God.

Godless Leftists can't outthink the Designer of science, heaven and earth. Not now, not ever.
The Book Commentary: "The book (Brilliant Creations - The Wonder of Nature and Life) is pure genius."
Review by John Orosz, M.D. "Wow, beyond outstanding. Please send me twenty signed copies for colleagues, family, and libraries."
"I was running every morning for twenty years with a genius." - Mike McCartney, D.D.S.
"You have the most agile mind of anyone I know." -
Avice Marie Griffin, PhD, Clinical Psychologist