Author Topic: Rush announces he has advance lung cancer  (Read 2336 times)

Online Lando Lincoln

Re: Rush announces he has advance lung cancer
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2020, 08:58:55 pm »
Devastating.   :0001:
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2020, 09:03:26 pm »
Gutted to hear this. I will be praying for him. I've logged a lot of hours listening to Rush.  America's anchorman.

Online libertybele

« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2020, 09:33:24 pm »
I was shocked!  We were listening to the program and by his intro I thought he was retiring.  This is truly sad news.  Prayers up for Rush!

Rush Limbaugh announces he has 'advanced lung cancer'

Talk radio king Rush Limbaugh stunned his 20-million member audience Monday with the announcement he's been diagnosed with "advanced lung cancer." The 69-year-old conservative talk pioneer closed his broadcast with the grim news, saying he will be leaving his golden EIB microphone for treatment, but hopes to return later this week.

“This day has been one of the most difficult days in recent memory, for me, because I’ve known this moment was coming,” Limbaugh said. “I’m sure that you all know by now that I really don’t like talking about myself and I don’t like making things about me… one thing that I know, that has happened over the 31-plus years of this program is that there has been an incredible bond that had developed between all of you and me.”

https://www.foxnews.com/media/rush-limbaugh-advanced-lung-cancer
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2020, 09:38:37 pm »
There is already a long thread on this and I will merge them
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2020, 09:51:32 pm »
I may be one of maybe 10K people who was a pioneer listener to Rush Limbaugh when he debuted in Sacramento, CA in 1984.  I can tell you to this day where I was.  I was on the track at Natomas High School running laps, listening on my Sony Walkman.  I was only listening because there was a big story in the news that the previous host, a guy you may know by the name of Morton Downey, had been fired the day before because he called a liberal Chinese City Councilman a "chink" on the air.  So I wanted to see what this new host was going to be like.  I have been listening since, though these days I tend to read the transcripts of the show rather than listen.

Rush Limbaugh gets a lot of credit for the resurgence of American conservatism.  Without him there would have been no Newt Gingrich and the 1994 Republican smashing of decades of Democrat rule in the congress.  There would have been no Clinton impeachment.  There would have been no Donald Trump.  But more than anything, he alerted the public to the dangers of unbridled liberalism, and drove the left into convulsions like no other personality until Trump came along.  That is a pretty compelling legacy.

Of course he was an unabashed lover and endorser of cigar smoking, and in spite of the fact that cigars are generally not inhaled, there is a lot of smoke, tars, carbons that get into the lungs as a result of just puffing.  Also, he is a former cigarette smoker.  I sincerely hope he is able to get effective treatment. Undoubtedly with his resources he will have the finest physicians and latest advances available.  I expect that he will live quite a while with the disease.  There are things today like immunotherapy that can buy a cancer patient years, so I have hope that this is not necessarily a death sentence.  Look at Ruth Bader Ginsburg.

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2020, 10:04:10 pm »
I quit listening to him (and, in fairness, all talk radio) a long enough time ago; regarding him, his party first/country later twists and shouts turned me off.

But as a human being, I hope to God Rush Limbaugh beats that bastard lung cancer.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2020, 10:06:14 pm by EasyAce »

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2020, 10:55:10 pm »
I quit listening to him (and, in fairness, all talk radio) a long enough time ago; regarding him, his party first/country later twists and shouts turned me off.

But as a human being, I hope to God Rush Limbaugh beats that bastard lung cancer.

I hadn't listened in years,  but this still is devastating to me personally.  I have to credit Rush for making me realize that I was a conservative all those years ago.  I never gave much thought to the whole conservative/liberal thing untill I heard Rush and read his books.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2020, 11:04:48 pm »
I hadn't listened in years,  but this still is devastating to me personally.  I have to credit Rush for making me realize that I was a conservative all those years ago.  I never gave much thought to the whole conservative/liberal thing untill I heard Rush and read his books.

I still tune in from time to time, but thirty years ago Rush was all there was in a world of rat media and he sustained me. God bless the guy and see him through this.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2020, 11:09:39 pm »
Cigars, I think.  But maybe cigarettes earlier?

Unfortunately it was both.  Heavy cigarette smoking in his younger years.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline musiclady

« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2020, 11:52:50 pm »
Unfortunately it was both.  Heavy cigarette smoking in his younger years.

So sad to suffer when you get older because of something stupid you did when you were younger.  **nononono*

At least he will get the best medical care available.

I will definitely pray for him.  He did a lot of good for a lot of people, and decades ago helped us realize we weren’t alone.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2020, 11:53:05 pm »
Mike Pence
@Mike_Pence
 Â· 58m
Rush Limbaugh is a National Treasure who has made a difference on the airwaves of America for 30 years. Rush, Karen and I will be joining millions across this Country in praying for your swift recovery. God Bless You!
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Online libertybele

« Reply #36 on: February 04, 2020, 12:01:42 am »
May God bless and protect Rush Limbaugh. The man who saved America with his voice and his passion. I firmly believe this.

He was a conservative voice during the horrific Obama years and kept this country grounded. 

God Bless You Rush Limbaugh; talk radio still exists because of you.

Listened to Hannity -- Levine was on.  Both of them stated in essence that they owe their careers to him.

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online libertybele

« Reply #37 on: February 04, 2020, 12:04:03 am »

His books will continue to sell; especially now.  I bought "Rush Revere" for my grandson and he loved them!

Offline Applewood

« Reply #38 on: February 04, 2020, 12:39:41 am »

Limbaugh used to have a syndicated tv show -- basically just him talking to a camera.  Where I live, one of the local stations scheduled his show for 3:00 in the morning.  I had this habit of falling asleep on the living room sofa with the tv on, and I'd wake up just in time for Rush's program.

Like you though I eventually got away from Rush and all the other talkers.  Felt like they were telling me how to think and who to vote for.  Didn't want or need that.  I cut my cable down to just basic channels, which eliminated all the cable news networks.  Not having to listen to all that hot air made me feel much better mentally and physically.

Still, I will pray for Rush.  If he cannot be cured, perhaps his life can be prolonged.  I have seen advertisements for medicines designed to give advanced lug cancer patients a longer, fairly good quality of life.  Maybe one of them will help.

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #39 on: February 04, 2020, 12:59:37 am »
Weird. How did it get to be 'advanced'?
Rush has enough money to get a lung scan every day if he wanted to.
As a big smoker, and a multimillionaire he should have been getting a lung scan every month.
I'm just confused how they are finding this only now?

Most of the multimillionaires I have known get monthly checkups for everything (nothing off limits).
Why do you think so many politicians live to be 120 years old? Same thing.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #40 on: February 04, 2020, 01:05:23 am »
Limbaugh used to have a syndicated tv show -- basically just him talking to a camera.  Where I live, one of the local stations scheduled his show for 3:00 in the morning.  I had this habit of falling asleep on the living room sofa with the tv on, and I'd wake up just in time for Rush's program.

Like you though I eventually got away from Rush and all the other talkers.  Felt like they were telling me how to think and who to vote for.  Didn't want or need that.  I cut my cable down to just basic channels, which eliminated all the cable news networks.  Not having to listen to all that hot air made me feel much better mentally and physically.

Still, I will pray for Rush.  If he cannot be cured, perhaps his life can be prolonged.  I have seen advertisements for medicines designed to give advanced lug cancer patients a longer, fairly good quality of life.  Maybe one of them will help.
That story is very similar to mine.

I discovered Rush Limbaugh in 1993. At the time, I was just an elementary school kid so I never really heard his radio show... and before 1993, the local over-the-air stations were carrying cartoons like the Flintstones, Underdog, the Jetsons and such before the network news and before I went to school. But in 1993, they dropped the cartoons and replaced it with Rush. I kept watching. Most of the stuff was way over my head, and I think I watched it more out of amusement at the guy's name than anything. In 1994, the same station added a local news hour and pushed Rush back to 5:30 (it was 6:30). I ended up getting up early just to watch it. And eventually, in time, it was gone.

I ended up listening to a lot of Rush in college. This was the mid-2000s, and I was discovering Internet radio... and at the time there weren't a lot of stations that were streaming except talk radio (the main reason was music royalties). I tried listening to other talk shows over the years... but eventually settled into Don Imus before class, Rush at lunch, and other than that, not much (Drudge on Sunday night, and occasionally the trucking shows if I was having insomnia—and in my FReeper days I did enjoy Bob Grant and Steve Malzberg).

And eventually, after college, as the royalty structure was reworked and more music stations started streaming, I moved away from listening to talk. Most of my listening moved to oldies. And now I am at the point where talking heads get on my nerves. (Moreso the callers than the host... but I can still only handle the hosts a few minutes at a time.)
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #41 on: February 04, 2020, 01:08:10 am »
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Applewood

« Reply #42 on: February 04, 2020, 01:26:21 am »
Weird. How did it get to be 'advanced'?
Rush has enough money to get a lung scan every day if he wanted to.
As a big smoker, and a multimillionaire he should have been getting a lung scan every month.
I'm just confused how they are finding this only now?

Most of the multimillionaires I have known get monthly checkups for everything (nothing off limits).
Why do you think so many politicians live to be 120 years old? Same thing.

The story is that Rush had shortness of breath -- I suppose for some time before he finally went to the doctor.  Some years ago I developed shortness of breath, but dismissed it as part of being obese.  Didn't go to the doctor till it got so bad, I couldn't take 2 steps on a level surface without getting winded.  Doctor took one look at me and sent me to the hospital emergency room.  Developed that I had arterial blockages and a stent was installed right away on the worst one. 

A lot of people avoid doctors like the plague.  They go only when they are really sick.  I used to be like that.  Now I have a regimen of every six months to once a year appointments.  Part of being old, I guess.  LOL

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #43 on: February 04, 2020, 02:03:02 am »
A lot of people avoid doctors like the plague.  They go only when they are really sick.  I used to be like that.  Now I have a regimen of every six months to once a year appointments.  Part of being old, I guess.  LOL
@Applewood

Not part of being old. It is part of being rational, at any age.

Watched a guy kill himself because he was afraid of doctors/hospitals. He was walking around work all day holding his left shoulder. Not a good sign. Also, he was a chain smoker. I think part of the reason he avoided doctors was because he did not want to quit smoking, and he knew they would tell him that. Long story short he had a heart attack at 6am in the shower getting ready for work. It's a weird thing that his fear of hospitals, doctors, and getting a check up, was stronger than his fear of actual death(guess he didn't believe that he would ever die?). His funeral was on a dark grey cold day in Leeds England. He left behind a wife and daughter simply from being irrational.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #44 on: February 04, 2020, 02:54:34 am »
Kurt Schlichter   @KurtSchlichter·
6h

The news that Rush Limbaugh has lung cancer is horrible, but he's got millions of people behind him. He's a legend and a fighter. If you are the praying kind, do it.

Replying to  @KurtSchlichter
in August of 2009 I was diagnosed with advanced lung cancer and they didn't think I'd make it to Christmas and here I am. I promise, it can be done.
8:50 PM · Feb 3, 2020·
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online roamer_1

« Reply #45 on: February 04, 2020, 04:41:42 am »

Dittos, all the way around.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #46 on: February 04, 2020, 06:52:29 am »
Was he a smoker?
Cigars, for sure, but generally cigar smokers don't inhale (too strong).
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #47 on: February 04, 2020, 07:09:11 am »
He was a conservative voice during the horrific Obama years and kept this country grounded. 

God Bless You Rush Limbaugh; talk radio still exists because of you.

Listened to Hannity -- Levine was on.  Both of them stated in essence that they owe their careers to him.

I started listening to him when he was local (pre-syndicated) on WABC radio NYC. The way he talked about then Mayor Dinkins was astute and satirical  at the same time. And I really liked the songs he played from the 50s and 60s. I had never heard most of them before
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #48 on: February 04, 2020, 02:55:41 pm »
Was he a smoker?

Yes, @Gefn heavy cigarette user as a young guy switched to expensive cigars when he made it big.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #49 on: February 04, 2020, 04:00:29 pm »
Bo Snerdley
@BoSnerdley
·
17m
As you can imagine yesterday was in  many ways the most dreadful day in the history of the program. All of us on the staff are still reeling from the news. But we - all of us thank you for the love, support, prayers and kind thoughts that have been extended.
Support the USO