Author Topic: U.A.E. Finds World’s Biggest Gas Field Since 2005  (Read 682 times)

Offline thackney

U.A.E. Finds World’s Biggest Gas Field Since 2005
« on: February 03, 2020, 03:49:29 pm »
U.A.E. Finds World’s Biggest Gas Field Since 2005
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-02-03/abu-dhabi-dubai-make-gas-discovery-in-push-for-self-sufficiency
February 3, 2020

Dubai and Abu Dhabi made what could be the world’s largest natural gas discovery since 2005 as the two biggest sheikhdoms in the United Arab Emirates aim to push the country to energy self sufficiency.

The Jebel Ali reservoir located between the two emirates has 80 trillion cubic feet of gas resources, according to tweets by Sheikh Mohammed bin Zayed Al Nahyan, Abu Dhabi’s crown prince, and Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum, the U.A.E.’s prime minister and Dubai’s ruler. The country is seeking to become self-sufficiency in gas supply by 2030, a step that would allow it to break its reliance on imports from Qatar, with which it has been locked in a 2 1/2-year diplomatic dispute...
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline thackney

Re: U.A.E. Finds World’s Biggest Gas Field Since 2005
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2020, 03:52:33 pm »
https://www.thenational.ae/business/energy/jebel-ali-gas-reservoir-discovery-the-largest-in-15-years-1.973533

...On Sunday, state-owned Adnoc and the Dubai Supply Authority signed an agreement to explore the resources jointly.

Around 10 exploration and appraisal wells were drilled by Adnoc in its first-ever exploration in Dubai over 5,000 square kilometres of land between Saih As Sidirah and Jebel Ali.

Shallow gas refers to organic gas found in relatively shallow depths below the ground's surface. The shallow nature of the resource will also ensure that the development costs of gas production will be lower than unlocking Abu Dhabi's sour gas caps, Mr Yates said.

Sour gas refers to gas reserves containing significant volumes of sulphur. Much of the gas in Abu Dhabi is sour, with Adnoc spending billions of dollars developing gas reserves previously deemed uneconomical, especially in Hail and Ghasha, alongside foreign partners....
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2020, 03:54:20 pm »
They may now be touting this as a "new" discovery but those of us who were working in that area knew about it in the late 1980s.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2020, 03:57:10 pm »
I find it kinda tough to believe one can discover shallow resources of this size after all the exploration over past decades.

It may be more of a Marcellus-type 'discovery' wherein the resource was known but technically challenging.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2020, 09:53:30 am »
I find it kinda tough to believe one can discover shallow resources of this size after all the exploration over past decades.

It may be more of a Marcellus-type 'discovery' wherein the resource was known but technically challenging.
There are resources all over which have been ignored for various reasons, chief among them: "Everyone knows you can't produce that" and "Everyone knows there is nothing there".

Shallow resources are remarkably easy to ignore as wells target deeper formations. You only see what you look for, unless you have the uncommon sense to take advantage of serendipity.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis