State Chapters > California

1 Dead, 5 Wounded in Shooting on Greyhound Bus From LA

(1/1)

mountaineer:
1 Dead, 5 Wounded in Shooting on Greyhound Bus From LA
By City News Service and Whitney Irick
Published 1 hour ago   â€¢ Updated 2 mins ago   

One person was killed and five others were wounded after a man opened fire aboard a Greyhound bus that was headed from Los Angeles to the Bay Area on the 5 Freeway Monday, authorities said.

The shooting was reported at 1:27 a.m. on the 5 Freeway near Fort Tejon Road in Kern County, according to California Highway Patrol spokesman Steve Loftus. ...

The bus driver immediately pulled to the right shoulder and was able to somehow get the suspect off the bus where he was later apprehended, according to California Highway Patrol Sgt. Brian Pennings.

He left the weapon -- described only as a black handgun -- on the bus, Pennings added.  ... More

sneakypete:
How is this even possible? Isn't it illegal for citizens to shoot people in Ca?

Maybe they should pass another law making it double illegal to shoot someone?

mountaineer:
Someone forgot to post that "gun free zone" sign.

PeteS in CA:
If that bus originated at the downtown LA station, they probably should have metal detectors for boarding passengers. Since the station probably dates to the 1930s or 1940s, that may be difficult to do.

Apparently the destination was the SF Bay Area. They do have a station in San Jose, and probably in several cities. From the article as it currently is:

--- Quote ---"As soon as we took off, the shooter was talking really loudly, incoherently, I couldn't really hear much of what he was saying...," witness Mark Grabban told NBC News. "At one point he got in a verbal dispute with one of the passengers who asked him to quiet down. It was in Spanish, but to the effect of trying to get him to quiet down."

The shooting was reported at 1:27 a.m. on the 5 Freeway near Fort Tejon Road in Kern County, according to California Highway Patrol spokesman Steve Loftus. The bus stopped at the Grapevine Road exit.
"A passenger behind him [the gunman] stood up, and he stood up at the same time. He told the passenger to sit down, I heard ‘f--- you, f--- all of you,’ and I heard a gun cock, and 8 to nine rounds let off," Grabban recalled.

There were 40 passengers on the bus and six suffered gunshot major to moderate gunshot wounds, he said. They were taken to hospitals. One person, identified only as 51-year-old woman from Columbia, died. The ages, genders and conditions of the other victims were not immediately available.
--- End quote ---

As best I can tell the bus pulled off at the town of Grapevine. I-5, "the Grapevine", winds through the mountains between Bakersfield and LA. For the northbound bus, it stopped in part of the descent heading out of the mountains.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version