Author Topic: A Navy veteran and his dog suffer from PTSD  (Read 313 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
A Navy veteran and his dog suffer from PTSD
« on: February 02, 2020, 07:07:22 pm »
Navy Times by Michael Kelly 2/2/2020

MARIETTA, Ohio — The McCabe residence on Franklin Street is not an ordinary household.

Russell, 52, and Christy, 47, have visitors who include motorcycle club members, people seeking Russell's expertise in mechanics and construction, and sometimes people who, like Russell, are veterans who need a sympathetic place to chill out.

They’re all aware, both from posted signs and advice from the McCabes, that nobody goes into Fleury’s room.

McCabe – his friends call him 'Tank' – suffers from PTSD, an outcome of his military service.

"In the Navy, I saw a lot of things I shouldn't have seen," he said. "We'll leave it at that."

This is why McCabe developed an attachment to Fleury.

The dog, a blue-nosed pocket pit bull, developed his own form of PTSD after being caught in the trauma of a law enforcement raid on a former owner's home.

Named by Christy after her favorite player on the Pittsburgh Penguins NHL team, Marc Andre Fleury, the dog was hit by beanbag rounds and brutalized during the bust, which occurred when he was about 1½ years old.

With Fleury designated as a vicious dog after the most recent bite report, the court could order him euthanized. McGilton said McCabe will be able to make his case before a judge.

"They will have a hearing and go through proper court proceedings, they'll have due process," she said.

More: https://www.navytimes.com/news/your-navy/2020/02/02/a-navy-veteran-and-his-dog-suffer-from-ptsd/

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Re: A Navy veteran and his dog suffer from PTSD
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2020, 11:39:24 pm »
How did a Navy guy get PTSD if he wasn't a SEAL?
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2020, 12:48:58 am »
He was probably a corpsman.

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2020, 03:45:45 am »
He was probably a corpsman.

@Elderberry

That could do it,but I have never met or heard of a Corpsman that wouldn't mention it while saying he was in the Navy.

I freely admit to being a little prejudiced about this sort of thing,also. The whole "It was horrible and I can't bear to talk about it!" thing. One local guy around here used to pull that crap,and I did some digging around and found out he was a finance clerk in the army at one of the Virginia bases,and never even went to VN. I pretty much left him alone until one day Mr. "It was terrible,and I don't want to talk about it",added "the smell of the stacks of dead baby bodies being burned gives me nightmares." That was when I went off on his ass and called him a liar and a phoney in public,and started asking his relatives and people he went to school with,and found out the truth. He could hardly deny it because he used his DD-214 as proof of having clerical training and experience to get the job he had.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!