Author Topic: Suck It Up, It’s Only A Little Brain Damage  (Read 824 times)

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Suck It Up, It’s Only A Little Brain Damage
« on: January 31, 2020, 02:20:32 pm »
Patriot Nation by Mark Megahan January 30, 2020

Decades of liberal nanny-state policies have quietly, without any fuss, gutted America’s national security. It happened so insidiously that nobody even seemed to notice. We live in such a politically correct world that nobody remembers what it was like for childhood to be dangerous.

No youngster is allowed out of their parent’s eyesight. These days, even to ride a bicycle, every kid on the block needs a full suit of body armor and padding. Because of all the helicopter parenting, GI Joe has morphed from something resembling Rambo into a “sensitive” modern soldier more suited to model for a Gillette commercial than storm up an enemy hill in battle.

Can you imagine what Rambo would say to those guys? Of course, Rambo is a fantasy, made up for the big screen. Nevertheless, America has had more than it’s fair share of military heroes. None of them would be whining after walking away from a rocket attack with all their body parts.

More: http://patriotnationpress.com/suck-it-up-its-only-a-little-brain-damage/

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
Re: Suck It Up, It’s Only A Little Brain Damage
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2020, 04:15:42 pm »
Sorry moron...there's no such thing as only a "little brain damage".

The knuckledragger that wrote that piece is everything wrong with the military.

Even Audie Murphy baddest of the bad asses in WW II was a leading voice and advocate of better treatment and diagnosis of what was known back then as shell shock.

This doofus wants to take the approach of Patton and slap these kids in the face with his gloves and tell them to get back on the front lines.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2020, 04:18:02 pm by txradioguy »
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline Neverdul

• Moderator Gubernatorial and State Races
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2020, 04:24:58 pm »

The knuckledragger that wrote that piece is everything wrong with the military.

Even Audie Murphy baddest of the bad asses in WW II was a leading voice and advocate of better treatment and diagnosis of what was known back then as shell shock.

This doofus wants to take the approach of Patton and slap these kids in the face with his gloves and tell them to get back on the front lines.

:thumbsup:
So This Is How Liberty Dies, With Thunderous Applause

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2020, 04:25:56 pm »
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Mark MegahanMark Megahan is a resident of Arizona and "deplorable" Donald Trump supporter. For several years, he has been an outspoken critic of the "deep state" government within a government, while providing solid fact based analysis of current events. Mark is also an impassioned advocate for those like himself who are disabled by chemical hypersensitivity.

"Solid fact based analysis" my ass.  Judging strictly by his bio and the way he wrote that opinion piece...the only combat zone this fool has ever visited was on Call of Duty or Battlefield 4.

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2020, 04:26:38 pm »
It's totally understandable to me that the troops were affected as each one of the Quam missiles ( if that's the ones that were used) can carry a 750 kg HE warhead. Its a wonder that no one was killed.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2020, 04:36:33 pm »
It's totally understandable to me that the troops were affected as each one of the Quam missiles ( if that's the ones that were used) can carry a 750 kg HE warhead. Its a wonder that no one was killed.

That no one was killed is credit to the technology we have in place at those FOB's...namely the C-RAM (Counter Rocket, Artillery, and Mortar) systems.  Combine those with the aerostat balloons we have over there and in Afghanistan and it's very hard to get successful mortar and rock launches aimed at coalition bases these days.  Which is why Iran used the ballistic missiles instead.

Online Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2020, 07:18:15 pm »
Traumatic Brain Injuries suck.

But there is a political issue here that is very significant.  We took out Soleimani, who was the absolute most dangerous guy in the ME.  There were those who absolutely howled that Trump was going to escalate things because he was so trigger-happy.  But that's not what happened.  We got the guy, they fired back, and it didn't escalate.  Part of it not escalating was a conscious decision by our government to minimize the results of the attack so we wouldn't have to "retaliate" again.  That may bother people, but it was ultimately a decision that likely saved more American lives, and gave us a meaningful "win" by getting rid of Soleimani.

The minimizing of those injuries in this particular context was part of ensuring that things didn't get out of hand, and that more American lives weren't lost.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2020, 07:20:23 pm »

The minimizing of those injuries in this particular context was part of ensuring that things didn't get out of hand, and that more American lives weren't lost.

That's a crap excuse.  There's not one logical reason if you're completely honest with yourself to minimize soldiers suffering a TBI. 

Especially coming from someone (Trump) who claims to love us so much and likes to brag about how much he's done for us.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2020, 07:21:53 pm by txradioguy »

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2020, 07:57:25 pm »
TBIs come in degrees.

The brain is the slowest organ/tissue to heal.

The permanent brain damage from loud noises, results in Tinnitus and permanent hearing loss. It is nerve damage.

Many shooting enthusiasts have this condition.

Many would label it "not serious" or "minor"

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2020, 08:11:54 pm »

@txradioguy

I may be wrong,but I think "shell shock" was a WW-1 thing,where soldiers of all armies spent months living in trenches close to each other,and pretty much receiving artillery fire off and on all day and night for months. Compared to that,one missile strike is a picnic in the park.

Maybe,and maybe he just wants them to stop being whiny little bitches. Granted,they are all REMF's who aren't used to being fired on,but it was already over before they even knew it was happening.  They HAD to have some some sort of idea that they MIGHT get fired upon when they joined the army.

There are soldiers and Marines out there that deal with much worse pretty much every day.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2020, 08:13:33 pm by sneakypete »
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2020, 08:15:48 pm »

@Elderberry

No kidding. They had advance warning of incoming,and they were all in underground bunkers,but they were still lucky. Random chance could have dropped a missile on any of those bunkers,and they would have been toast.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2020, 08:17:55 pm »
Traumatic Brain Injuries suck.

But there is a political issue here that is very significant.  We took out Soleimani, who was the absolute most dangerous guy in the ME.  There were those who absolutely howled that Trump was going to escalate things because he was so trigger-happy.  But that's not what happened.  We got the guy, they fired back, and it didn't escalate.  Part of it not escalating was a conscious decision by our government to minimize the results of the attack so we wouldn't have to "retaliate" again.  That may bother people, but it was ultimately a decision that likely saved more American lives, and gave us a meaningful "win" by getting rid of Soleimani.

@Maj. Bill Martin

Once again,EXCELLENT post!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2020, 08:29:31 pm »
TBIs come in degrees.

The brain is the slowest organ/tissue to heal.

The permanent brain damage from loud noises, results in Tinnitus and permanent hearing loss. It is nerve damage.

Many shooting enthusiasts have this condition.

Many would label it "not serious" or "minor"

@truth_seeker

I'm one of them.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2020, 08:36:57 pm »
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2020, 08:48:36 pm »
What's kinda funny about this that every single one in here defending how Trump dismissed those soldiers who received a traumatic brain injury from having their base attacked by ballistic missiles would have gone nuclear with rage had Obama or Hillary dismissed their injuries so casually.

It's really kinda pathetic.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2020, 08:58:02 pm »
What's kinda funny about this that every single one in here defending how Trump dismissed those soldiers who received a traumatic brain injury from having their base attacked by ballistic missiles would have gone nuclear with rage had Obama or Hillary dismissed their injuries so casually.

@txradioguy

You are projecting,bubba.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2020, 09:12:28 pm »
@txradioguy

You are projecting,bubba.

Nope just stating an ugly truth.  Sorry if you can't handle it.  That's on you.

Online Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2020, 10:06:44 pm »

That's because looking at the entire context paints a different picture.

With Obama, rather than killing a bad guy like Soliemani, Obama preferred to fund him.  And if those Iranian militias funded with money given to them by the U.S., or to which the U.S. gave them access, had indeed fired on and shell-shocked a bunch of Americans, yeah, I'd have been really pissed at Obama for minimizing the injuries done to Americans through his own shitty policy.

In Trump's case, the fact that he had just ordered the killing of the most dangerous guys in the ME, and we'd gotten him plus some henchmen, makes me much more willing to believe that Americans aren't being injured because we've actually supported the very guys attacking us.

Probably worth noting that absolutely none of this effects the quality of care those injured are receiving.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2020, 10:54:35 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2020, 11:39:06 pm »

Probably worth noting that absolutely none of this effects the quality of care those injured are receiving.

@Maj. Bill Martin

I  had no idea there was anything that COULD be done about it. What is the treatment,and how effective is it?

Online Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2020, 12:32:55 am »
@Maj. Bill Martin

I  had no idea there was anything that COULD be done about it. What is the treatment,and how effective is it?

Hell if I know.  But whatever it is or isn't, they'll get it.

My point was this wasn't a government statement intended to deny care or reduce funding by denying there was a problem.  That sometimes happens, but it's not what's happening here.  These injuries were minimized (in public statements) so as to de-escalate things with Iran after we killed Soleimani.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2020, 04:38:08 am »

The public dismissal may have been to save face and not escalate into a war by politically requiring a counter retaliation. Like a kid getting busted in the chops in a playground fight saying "That didn't hurt!" when you know darned well it did.
I hope the individual soldiers involved are getting whatever care they require, regardless of the public face put on the incident.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2020, 01:52:43 pm »

I hope the individual soldiers involved are getting whatever care they require, regardless of the public face put on the incident.

@Smokin Joe

They are,but AFAIK,there is not much you CAN do but just deal with it and learn to adapt as much as possible. I've been dealing with it since the late 60's,and don't even really think about it anymore unless something like this comes up.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2020, 04:51:24 pm »
@Maj. Bill Martin

Treatments for TBI
There are many different kinds of treatments available for patients of Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI).

Initial Treatment stabilizes the individual immediately following a traumatic brain injury.

Rehabilitative Care Center Treatment helps restore the patient to daily life.

Acute treatment of a Traumatic Brain Injury is aimed at minimizing secondary injury and life support.

Surgical Treatment may be used to prevent secondary injury by helping to maintain blood flow and oxygen to the brain and minimize swelling and pressure.

https://www.traumaticbraininjury.com/treatments-for-tbi/

There's also this for long term:

Medications may be used to treat symptoms of TBI and to lower some of the risks associated with it. These medications may include, but are not limited to:

• Anti-anxiety medication to lessen feelings of nervousness and fear
    Anticoagulants (pronounced an-tee-koh-AG-yuh-luhnts) to prevent blood clots
    Anticonvulsants (pronounced an-tee-kuhn-VUHL-suhnts) to prevent seizures
    Antidepressants to treat symptoms of depression and mood instability
    Muscle relaxants to reduce muscle spasms
    Stimulants to increase alertness and attention

Researchers continue to explore medications that may aid recovery from TBI. For example, an NICHD study investigated the effectiveness of citicoline, a drug meant to help protect neurological functioning. The study found, however, that patients with TBI who took citicoline did not have any greater improvement in function than those who took a placebo

https://www.nichd.nih.gov/health/topics/tbi/conditioninfo/treatment

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2020, 10:07:27 pm »
https://www.traumaticbraininjury.com/treatments-for-tbi/

There's also this for long term:

https://www.nichd.nih.gov/health/topics/tbi/conditioninfo/treatment

@txradioguy

Thanks!

Glad to hear it! Back in my day,in the Stone Ages,the treatment mostly consisted of handing you a bottle of aspirin and telling you to "suck it up,cupcake!"

I do admit to having a little fun with it once I became alert enough to realize I had amnesia,and could get away with stuff by pretending I still had it.

Not that I am the type of guy that would have fun doing that sort of thing,mind you.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2020, 10:11:24 pm »

Yep.

The spin trying to make it OK to dismiss these injuries is dizzying.......   **nononono*
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.