Author Topic: SpaceX is ready to build the first Starship destined for space after latest tests  (Read 707 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Teslarati by Eric Ralph   1/28/2020

After a busy several days of rocket hardware testing, Elon Musk says that SpaceX may be ready to build the first Starship prototype destined for space.

According to Musk, one test in particular – performed in South Texas just yesterday – is an encouraging sign that SpaceX’s Starship team is becoming increasingly competent at building the massive steel parts that will ultimately make up the generation launch vehicle. For SpaceX, the particular skills and expertise needed to precisely and consistently build a launch vehicle – let alone a rocket as large and complex as Starship – are quite a bit different from those it has mastered with Falcon 9, Falcon Heavy, and Dragon.

A lot of the expertise – particularly engineering talent, countless lessons-learned, and insight into reusability – is directly transferable from Falcon rockets to SpaceX’s Starship/Super Heavy program. Where it really isn’t transferable, however, is in the methods required to actually build the steel subcomponents that must ultimately be assembled together to form the rocket’s upper stage and booster. As a result, SpaceX has spent more than a year focused on building, testing, scrapping, improving, and re-testing any number of critical Starship components. Over the last four weeks (and last few days in particular), that testing has come to a head and Elon Musk believes the results have opened the door for SpaceX to begin building its first space-bound Starship prototypes.

SpaceX’s latest round of full-scale Starship hardware tests began just 10-20 days ago, depending on how one counts. Back around the start of the new calendar year, SpaceX began rapidly integrating two new Starship bulkheads and two cylindrical steel rings (barrel sections), ultimately delivering a finished ‘test tank’ after just 20 days of work. On January 10th, scarcely 24 hours after the two halves of the test tank were welded together, SpaceX sent the Starship test tank to its nearby launch pad and pressurized it with water until it quite literally burst.

More: https://www.teslarati.com/spacex-ready-first-starship-destined-for-space/

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Ok,give a quick show of hands.

How many of you would volunteer to crew the very first,as in experimental,interstellar space ship?
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Ok,give a quick show of hands.

How many of you would volunteer to crew the very first,as in experimental,interstellar space ship?

There won't be any "Interstellar" flights for me to volunteer for in my lifetime.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
There won't be any "Interstellar" flights for me to volunteer for in my lifetime.

@Elderberry

If there is,would you?

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Absolutely!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Absolutely!

@Elderberry

You are a bolder man than me! No way in hell I am getting on a prototype space ship to blast off into the universe.  I would wish the original crew well,and tell them to send me email updates on how it's going,but there is no way in hell I would go with them.

Maybe by ship 3 or 4,if everything went well with the first 3 or 4,but not on the prototype.