Author Topic: Explainer: Are you in danger of catching the coronavirus?  (Read 744 times)

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Explainer: Are you in danger of catching the coronavirus?
« on: January 26, 2020, 01:13:08 pm »
Navy Times by Dr. William A. Petri 1/25/2020

Am I at risk?

Not now, because currently every case of the novel coronavirus is linked to Wuhan.

There are lots of different coronaviruses that group into three types. The common cold can be caused by both alpha and betacoronaviruses.

Coronavirus was never really taken that seriously until 2003, when a coronavirus jumped species – likely from bats to humans via civets – and led to SARS, or severe acute respiratory syndrome.

This species-jumping ability of coronaviruses is being observed again, now in Wuhan at the seafood market. This coronavirus is in the betacoronavirus group.

What’s the big concern with this virus?

For the novel coronavirus from Wuhan, there is no vaccine, and we’re lacking a specific therapy.

So it is key to limit spread through quarantine of infected individuals and by tracing of contacts.

What is so unusual about this coronavirus?

This is a coronavirus that has never been seen in humans before.

It likely came from bats, and it’s much more serious than the common cold coronavirus. This is only the third time that we’ve seen a coronavirus jump species from animals to humans.

The concern is that this coronavirus is going to behave like SARS and MERS, or Middle East respiratory syndrome in 2012, both of which were serious.

Do the deaths appear to be among people of a certain age?

Many were in older men with pre-existing conditions.

How can I stay safe?

First of all, you need not be concerned about catching this right now. Practice the same precautions that you would to prevent catching a cold.

Viruses that cause the common cold are on surfaces of handrails and doorknobs, so wash your hands, use sanitizers and stay home when you are sick.

More: https://www.navytimes.com/news/your-navy/2020/01/25/explainer-are-you-in-danger-of-catching-the-coronavirus/

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
Re: Explainer: Are you in danger of catching the coronavirus?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2020, 01:25:49 pm »
Thank you for posting this @Elderberry

goopo
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline musiclady

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2020, 02:38:01 pm »
Wash your hands.  Wash your hands.   Wash your hands.   Wash your hands!

(Thanks for posting this concise article.  It's very helpful).
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2020, 09:44:22 pm »
Thanks, @Elderberry   I thought I heard yesterday that one victim had not been in China, but now I can't find the article.  Still, it's good to play it safe and take all the precautions recommended for colds, as the article says. 

@musiclady

I might add "cover your mouth if you cough or sneeze."  I once caught some kind of viral infection  after the idiot in the seat behind me on the plane going to Florida coughed all over me and other passengers.  Luckily, I didn't get sick till I was home, but I wanted to strangle the guy.  And I'm not a violent person.  When did basic hygienic practices like washing your hands or covering your mouth suddenly go out of style?

Offline musiclady

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2020, 09:51:46 pm »
Thanks, @Elderberry   I thought I heard yesterday that one victim had not been in China, but now I can't find the article.  Still, it's good to play it safe and take all the precautions recommended for colds, as the article says. 

@musiclady

I might add "cover your mouth if you cough or sneeze."  I once caught some kind of viral infection  after the idiot in the seat behind me on the plane going to Florida coughed all over me and other passengers.  Luckily, I didn't get sick till I was home, but I wanted to strangle the guy.  And I'm not a violent person.  When did basic hygienic practices like washing your hands or covering your mouth suddenly go out of style?

I guess it came as part of the "Me Generation."   :shrug:

(I've had that same thing happen to me on a plane.  Wanted to slug the guy, but got a cough from him instead.  9999hair out0000)
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline LadyLiberty

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2020, 10:39:24 pm »
When I am out and not in a position to wash my hands, I avoid touching my hands to my face.  If the virus isn't airborne, it would have to enter somehow through mucus membranes (eyes, nose, mouth) so if I have been touch door handles, shopping cart, etc., I don't my touch my face with any part of my palms until I can wash my hands.

I learned through younger family members that they are being taught in school to cough into their elbows, which lowers virus transmission from one person to another. Keeps the hands cleaner when touching knobs and such is unavoidable.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2020, 10:40:13 pm by LadyLiberty »

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2020, 10:59:37 pm »
All I can say it don't be an idiot.

This things seems to spread fast, and proximity seems enough, so I'm guessing airborne.

Contagiousness manifests before symptoms do, and they often start out low grade. Incubation time can be long - you may be infected long before you get sick.

In addition to the usual sanitary precautions, it might be wise to stay as local as possible, and don't going in public unless you have to.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2020, 11:08:20 pm »
All I can say it don't be an idiot.

This things seems to spread fast, and proximity seems enough, so I'm guessing airborne.

Contagiousness manifests before symptoms do, and they often start out low grade. Incubation time can be long - you may be infected long before you get sick.

In addition to the usual sanitary precautions, it might be wise to stay as local as possible, and don't going in public unless you have to.

Except for last week's vacation and a couple of doctor appointments, I haven't been anywhere for much of this winter.  It's one of the benefits of being retired.  When the weather is awful, I can stay home.  Right now the weather here is lousy, so I'm parked in my recliner far from  contagious people including the idiots who don't practice good hygiene.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2020, 11:12:30 pm »
I learned through younger family members that they are being taught in school to cough into their elbows, which lowers virus transmission from one person to another. Keeps the hands cleaner when touching knobs and such is unavoidable.

I'm glad the kids are being taught this.  When I was a youngster, we had hygiene classes.  They were part of the Health class we took one day a week (the other 4 days we had gym class).  I thought maybe these things weren't being taught anymore since most of the ones who cough all over the place or don't wash their hands seem to be a bit younger than I am.