Author Topic: Asian Sticky Pork Belly Burnt Ends: A Delicious Twist on a Traditional Favorite  (Read 568 times)

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
ThermoBlog by Martin Earl

Have you ever had an idea for making something just stick in your head? The more try to ignore it or put it off, the more it just sits there, begging to be made. We had one of those ideas. Until we finally made it happen and wrote it up right here. By the time you finish reading this post, maybe it will haunt you, too, until you taste it for yourself….

If you have not yet cooked the Asian sticky ribs or the pork belly burnt ends we made earlier, you might not fully understand how strong the urge has been to combine the two ideas into one spectacular recipe. The seasoning and sauce from the sticky ribs, the multi-stage cooking method from the burnt ends…even as I type this, my mouth begins to water and my fingers start to twitch. The idea of it. Why deny ourselves? We broke out our Smoke™ 2-channel alarm thermometer and some charcoal and made up a batch. And let me tell you what. Wow.

Pork belly burnt ends

If you’re a BBQ purist, you may look at the phrase”pork belly burnt ends” and scoff. “Not traditional!” you may say. “Heresy!” But the fact of the matter is, all BBQ has evolved and developed by breaking rules, trying new things, and breaking the rules of previous traditions.

The method presented here of coating the meat with rub, then cooking, braising, and finally glazing can be reconstructed and reinvented in any flavor palate you like, and to great effect. Classic BBQ works very well, but this Asian version is not one that will be easily beaten.

More: https://blog.thermoworks.com/pork/asian-pork-burnt-ends/