Author Topic: Experts are Often Wrong - "Trust But Verify" - Ronald Reagan  (Read 452 times)

Offline ChemEngrMBA

• TBR Advisory Committee
Experts are Often Wrong - "Trust But Verify" - Ronald Reagan
« on: January 22, 2020, 08:30:47 pm »
“The sun appears to be nothing else than a very eminent, large, and lucid planet…. Its similarity to the other globes of the solar system, with regard to its solidity, its atmosphere, and its diversified surface; the rotation upon its axis,and the fall of heavy bodies  leads us on to suppose that it is most probably inhabited, like the rest of the planets,by beings whose organs are adapted to the peculiar circumstances of that vast globe.” – William Herschel (1738-1822) , discoverer of the planet Uranus, eminent observer and builder of telescopes
"This isn't right, this isn't even wrong." - Wolfgang Pauli
Drill for oil? You mean drill into the ground to try and find oil? You're crazy," -- Drillers who Edwin L. Drake tried to enlist to his project to drill for oil in 1859.
"Louis Pasteur's theory of germs is ridiculous fiction." -- Pierre Pachet, Professor of Physiology at Toulouse, 1872

"The abdomen, the chest, and the brain will forever be shut from the intrusion of the wise and humane surgeon," -- Sir John Eric Ericksen, British surgeon, appointed Surgeon-Extraordinary to Queen Victoria 1873

"This 'telephone' has too many shortcomings to be seriously considered as a means of communication. The device is inherently of no value to us," -- Western Union internal memo, 1876

"We are probably nearing the limit of all we can know about astronomy."   - Simon Newcomb, astronomer, 1888

"Heavier-than-air flying machines are impossible," -- Lord Kelvin, president, Royal Society, 1895.  (William Thompson, Baron Kelvin, was a mathematician, engineer and physicist.  He graduated from Cambridge and was a professor at the University of Glasgow, recognized as one of the greatest physicists of his time.  Neither bicycle mechanic Orville nor Wilbur Wright earned so much as a high school diploma.)

"Airplanes are interesting toys but of no military value," -- Marechal Ferdinand Foch, Professor of Strategy, Ecole Superieure de Guerre.

"Everything that can be invented has been invented."
-   Charles H. Duell, Commissioner, U.S. Office of Patents, 1899

"I will say that I cannot imagine any condition which could cause a ship to founder. I cannot conceive of any vital disaster happening to this vessel. Modern shipbuilding has gone beyond that.  / I never saw a wreck and have never been wrecked, nor was I ever in any predicament that threatened to end in disaster of any sort. “- Edward J. Smith, 1907, Captain of the Titanic when it sank five years later, in what would have been Smith's last voyage before retiring

"There is no likelihood man can ever tap the power of the atom." -- Robert Millikan, Nobel Prize in Physics, 1923

“640K ought to be enough for anybody." - Bill Gates (1955-), in 1981

"The wireless music box has no imaginable commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?" -- David Sarnoff's associates in response to his urgings for investment in the radio in the 1920s.

"Who the hell wants to hear actors talk?" - H. M. Warner (1881-1958), founder of Warner Brothers, in 1927

"Stocks have reached what looks like a permanently high plateau." -- Irving Fisher, Professor of Economics, Yale University, 1929.

"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson (1874-1956), Chairman of IBM, 1943

"The whole procedure [of shooting rockets into space]...presents
   difficulties of so fundamental a nature, that we are forced to dismiss
   the notion as essentially impracticable, in spite of the author's
   insistent appeal to put aside prejudice and to recollect the supposed
   impossibility of heavier-than-air flight before it was actually
   accomplished."  -Sir Richard van der Riet Wooley, British astronomer, reviewing P.E.  Cleator's "Rockets in Space", Nature, March 14, 1936

"Space travel is bunk" -Sir Harold Spencer Jones, Astronomer Royal of Britain, 1957, two weeks before the launch of Sputnik

"Man will never reach the moon regardless of all future scientific advances." -- Dr. Lee DeForest, Inventor of TV

"The bomb will never go off. I speak as an expert in explosives." -- Admiral William Leahy, US Atomic Bomb Project

"Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons." -- Popular Mechanics, forecasting the relentless march of science, 1949

"I have traveled the length and breadth of this country and talked with the best people, and I can assure you that data processing is a fad that won't last out the year." -- The editor in charge of business books for Prentice Hall, 1957

"But what ... is it good for?" -- Engineer at the Advanced Computing Systems Division of IBM, 1968, commenting on the microchip.

"The concept is interesting and well-formed, but in order to earn better than a 'C,' the idea must be feasible," -- A Yale University management professor in response to Fred Smith's paper proposing reliable overnight delivery service. (Smith went on to found Federal Express Corp.)

"I'm just glad it'll be Clark Gable who's falling on his face and not Gary Cooper," - Gary Cooper on his decision not to take the leading role in "Gone With The Wind."

"A cookie store is a bad idea. Besides, the market research reports say America likes crispy cookies, not soft and chewy cookies like you make," -- Response to Debbi Fields' idea of starting Mrs. Fields' Cookies.

"We don't like their sound, and guitar music is on the way out," -- Decca Recording Co. rejecting the Beatles, 1962.

"If I had thought about it, I wouldn't have done the experiment. The literature was full of examples that said you can't do this," -- Spencer Silver on the work that led to the unique adhesives for 3-M "Post-It" Notepads

"The super computer is technologically impossible. It would take all of the water that flows over Niagara Falls to cool the heat generated by the number of vacuum tubes required." -- professor of electrical engineering, New York University

"I don't know what use any one could find for a machine that would make copies of documents. It certainly couldn't be a feasible business by itself." -- the head of IBM, refusing to back the idea, forcing the inventor to found Xerox

"There is no reason anyone would want a computer in their home." -- Ken Olson, president, chairman and founder of Digital Equipment Corp., 1977

Education

Education is one of the few things a person is willing to pay for and not get. - William Lowe Bryan (1860–1955) 10th president of Indiana University (1902 to 1937).

It has been said that we have not had the three R's in America, we had the six R's; remedial readin', remedial 'ritin' and remedial 'rithmetic. - Robert Maynard Hutchins (also Maynard Hutchins) (1899–1977) educational philosopher, dean of Yale Law School (1927-1929), a president of the University of Chicago (1929–1945) and its chancellor (1945–1951).

"In 1950, we spent (in 1989 dollars) $1,333 per student. In 1989 we spent $4931. As John Silber, the President of Boston University, has written, 'It is troubling that this nearly fourfold increase in real spending has brought no improvement. It is scandalous that it has not prevented substantial decline.' "  - William J. Bennett, former Secretary of Education, in The De-Valuing of America

Medicine

From 250,000* to 440,000* Americans die annually from errors committed by medical experts.

Johns Hopkins Study*

Journal of Patient Safety Study**

Links available on request.  (There may be a fee.  Or maybe not.)

« Last Edit: January 22, 2020, 08:33:36 pm by DeerSlayer »
The Book Commentary: "The book (Brilliant Creations - The Wonder of Nature and Life) is pure genius."
Review by John Orosz, M.D. "It is beyond outstanding. Please send me twenty signed copies for colleagues, family, and libraries."
"I was running every morning for twenty years with a genius." - Mike McCartney, D.D.S.
"You have the most agile mind of anyone I know." -
Avice Marie Griffin, PhD, Clinical Psychologist