Author Topic: Veteran suicide rates remain alarmingly high despite years of reform  (Read 246 times)

rangerrebew

Published 17 hours ago
Veteran suicide rates remain alarmingly high despite years of reform

By Hollie McKay | Fox News

Despite years of reform efforts, veteran suicide rates remain alarmingly high

Despite efforts and bipartisan support from congress, a new reports finds the number of veteran suicides has exceeded 6,000 every single year between 2008 and 2017, and in 2017, the suicide rate for veterans was 1.5 times the rate for non-veteran adults.

For U.S. Army veteran Tom Voss, it was the unseen wounds of war that gushed from his body and crippled his insides day in and day out.

While more than 6,000 miles from the battlefields of Iraq and back in the beloved land he served, Voss no longer felt at home in his skin. The wincing memories of doing or witnessing horrific things that collided with his fundamental beliefs – the “moral injury” – walked like a shadow alongside him and inside him, propelling him toward suicide as a means to end the pain and suffering.

“You are trained in the infantry to move through challenges without asking for help. When I got out of the military, that is what I tried to do,” Tom Voss, co-author of “Where War Ends: A Combat Veteran’s 2,700-Mile Journey to Heal,” told Fox News. “But that caught up with me down the road.”

https://www.foxnews.com/health/veteran-suicide-rates-remain-high-despite-reform