Author Topic: Special operations Marines to call for end of iconic machine gun: M2 'Ma Deuce' will soon be replace  (Read 368 times)

rangerrebew

Special operations Marines to call for end of iconic machine gun: M2 'Ma Deuce' will soon be replaced
by Russ Read
 | January 21, 2020 12:05 AM

Special operations Marines are aiming to replace their long-serving and iconic M2 machine gun. After more than 80 years with the M2 "Ma Deuce" weapon, Marine Corps Forces Special Operations Command, otherwise known as MARSOC, is seeking to lighten its machine gun load.

First produced in 1933, the M2 quickly earned a reputation for reliability and power and is the longest-serving weapon in the U.S. military arsenal. Its .50-caliber round is one of the largest in existence, allowing the user to hit targets at more than 8,000 yards. With a firing rate reaching nearly 600 rounds per minute, the M2 is formidable in a firefight.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/policy/defense-national-security/special-operations-marines-to-call-for-end-of-iconic-machine-gun-m2-ma-deuce-soon-will-be-replaced

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Special operations Marines to call for end of iconic machine gun: M2 'Ma Deuce' will soon be replaced
by Russ Read
 | January 21, 2020 12:05 AM

the M2 is formidable in a firefight.

@rangerrebew

Yeah,that is one way of putting it.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
Fantastic weapon - my vote for most successful weapon every built by the U.S..  In terms of value over time, versatility, reliability, durability etc..  Probably give second place to the A-10.

But I can see why SpecOps types may want something lighter.  It's an absolute bitch to man-pack over distance.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2020, 07:19:07 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Fantastic weapon - my vote for most successful weapon every built by the U.S..  In terms of value over time, versatility, reliability, durability etc..  Probably give second place to the A-10.

But I can see why SpecOps types may want something lighter.  It's an absolute bitch to man-pack over distance.

@Maj. Bill Martin

Special ops units have the 50 cal rifle with the gas system and the muzzle brake. Chemo brain,but I THINK it is made by Barrett.  Pretty heavy compared to a M-4,but a featherweight compared to Ma Deuce.  I once had to jump carrying the spare barrel for the 50 cal,and that SOB was HEAVY. Scared to death I was going to land wrong and break a leg over the damn thing. Yeah,it was in a padded pouch and I had a quick release tie on the D-ring to theoretically release it when close to the ground,but it was a night jump and I couldn't see the ground.

The good news is that jump was right after I got to Bragg,and I immediately learned everything I needed to know about accepting a slot as  a heavy weapons man.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
@Maj. Bill Martin

Special ops units have the 50 cal rifle with the gas system and the muzzle brake. Chemo brain,but I THINK it is made by Barrett.  Pretty heavy compared to a M-4,but a featherweight compared to Ma Deuce.  I once had to jump carrying the spare barrel for the 50 cal,and that SOB was HEAVY. Scared to death I was going to land wrong and break a leg over the damn thing. Yeah,it was in a padded pouch and I had a quick release tie on the D-ring to theoretically release it when close to the ground,but it was a night jump and I couldn't see the ground.

The good news is that jump was right after I got to Bragg,and I immediately learned everything I needed to know about accepting a slot as  a heavy weapons man.

That thing is heavy....

Anyway, Marine SpecOps aren't always armed the same as Army guys, and they've been using the actual Ma Deuce, and not just the M82/107 Barrett.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
That thing is heavy....

Anyway, Marine SpecOps aren't always armed the same as Army guys, and they've been using the actual Ma Deuce, and not just the M82/107 Barrett.

@Maj. Bill Martin

Of course. The Navy hates the Marines almost as much as the Marines hate the Navy,and the Navy would rather spend their money on brass polish to spruce up the carriers than Neanderthal stuff like guns for Marines.

BTW,I have done some cross-training with Force Recon,and those guys are NOT typical Marines. You will have to search hard to find a mentally sharper group of people,or a more dedicated group of people. I have nothing but admiration for them. I know several that got out of the USMC and enlisted in the army to go SF. We are speaking about a whole new order of "trainee" here.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2020, 03:47:07 am by sneakypete »