Author Topic: Big bucks — and a big donor — fuel Allen West's bid for Texas GOP chair  (Read 494 times)

Offline corbe

Big bucks — and a big donor — fuel Allen West's bid for Texas GOP chair

West has raised more than 25 times what incumbent James Dickey has — and more than half of West's haul came from conservative megadonor Richard Uihlein.

by Patrick Svitek Jan. 21, 2020

Former U.S. Rep. Allen West is vying to unseat Texas GOP Chairman James Dickey.

Marjorie Kamys Cotera for The Texas Tribune
For months, the race for Texas GOP chair has been in full swing, with incumbent James Dickey and his high-profile challenger, Allen West, appearing at a slew of at times feisty forums.

But it was not until last week that the two had to disclose their campaign finances for the first time — and West's report brought something of a bombshell: Not only did the former Florida congressman raise nearly half a million dollars — a large amount for such an election — but $250,000 of it came from a single person. That person: Richard Uihlein, the conservative megadonor and shipping supplies magnate from Illinois.

In recent election cycles, the reclusive Uihlein and his wife Liz have become known for bankrolling insurgent conservative candidates across the country, sometimes serving as their primary patrons. Richard Uihlein gave $37.7 million to outside spending groups during the 2018 cycle, making him the fourth biggest donor to such entities and putting him in the ranks of people like Sheldon Adelson and Michael Bloomberg, according to the Center for Responsive Politics.

<..snip..>

https://www.texastribune.org/2020/01/21/allen-wests-bid-texas-gop-chair-gets-big-bucks-richard-uihlein/
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
I know nothing about James Dickey,but if I lived in Texas,I could get pretty excited about supporting West.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Victoria33

@corbe
@mystery-ak

This article is nuts.  Your personal money means nothing when wanting to be Texas State Chairman.  Does he think he can mosey over to Texas and become Chairman because he has money?  I am surprised this newspaper, Texas Tribune, printed this, however, they tend to be liberal, so maybe that is why they did it.  They act like the general public is going to vote to determine who the Republican State Chairman is.  If West is really spending money on ads, he is dumb as a rock - you will figure that out when you read how the Chairman/Vice-Chairman is elected.

Below tells you how the Chairman is elected - AT THE TEXAS REPUBLICAN STATE CONVENTION.  The delegates to the state convention aren't even selected yet - after the primary, March 3, 2020, that night, delegates to the county convention are selected.  At the county convention, the delegates for the state convention are selected.  The state convention happens in June.  I was the secretary of our Republican Party in our county, and had to know all the rules/laws. I was the one who sent the names of our people who would be state delegates, to our State Party.  I was at every State Convention for over 10 years.

"Rule No. 41 – State Party Chairman and Vice Chairman
At the biennial State Convention, each Senatorial District shall caucus and recommend a man and woman for State Chairman and Vice Chairman.  These recommendations shall be forwarded to the State Nominations Committee by the district’s member to the committee, who shall support them on at least the first (1st) round of voting.  The State Nominations Committee shall select one (1) man and one (1) woman from these recommendations to be submitted to the Convention as nominees for these positions.  Nominations from the floor shall be allowed only for candidates recommended by at least three (3) districts, or by petition signed by delegates equal in number to at least twenty percent (20%) of the convention voting strength.  No person shall be eligible to be elected Chairman or Vice Chairman for more than four (4) consecutive two-year terms to the same office."

Here is a bit of info. about Chairman Dickey:
DICKEY: Texas GOP Chairman James Dickey
https://www.texasgop.org/state-chairman-james-dickey/
« Last Edit: January 22, 2020, 03:12:18 am by Victoria33 »

Offline MajorClay

I am a republican precinct chair and went to the state convention for the first time in San Antonio.  I am very exited about Alan West.  He is a phenomenal speaker and very motivational.  He will energize the base.  Also he will challenge us to take it up another level and take it to the other side.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
I am a republican precinct chair and went to the state convention for the first time in San Antonio.  I am very exited about Alan West.  He is a phenomenal speaker and very motivational.  He will energize the base.  Also he will challenge us to take it up another level and take it to the other side.

@MajorClay

I agree. I think you have something to be excited over.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!