Author Topic: GOP looks to counter Green New Deal with three-pronged climate change plan: report  (Read 430 times)

Offline libertybele

Once again -- the GOP pandering to the liberals. 

GOP looks to counter Green New Deal with three-pronged climate change plan: report

Republicans looking to counter the Green New Deal are planning a climate change proposal of their own, taking a multi-pronged approach to improving the environment.

The effort, according to Axios, is being spearheaded by House Minority Leader Rep. Kevin McCarthy, R-Calif., alongside Reps. Garret Graves, R-La., and Bruce Westerman R-Ark. McCarthy held a caucus event on climate change Thursday, and appears to be taking action that counters critics who believe the GOP is not concerned with environmental issues.

"If you look at this conference today, we just had a whole event talking about the environment, not because someone is driving us but because we care about it," he told Axios.

The proposed policies reportedly focus on three particular efforts. The first is the capturing of carbon dioxide emissions. Part of this includes what is being called the Trillion Trees Act, whereby legislation would look to increase the number of trees in the U.S., with the goal of using them for "sequestering" carbon. The congressmen are also looking to expand tax credits for companies that capture and store carbon dioxide.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/gop-looks-to-counter-green-new-deal-with-climate-change-proposals
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline LMAO

This is where the GOP gets trapped. The GND was a disastrous piece of legislation that was written by a child.  So the GOP gets in the mindset that they have to come up with their own GND

There’s a reason that every Senate Democrat voted present on bringing it to the floor for debate. They know it’s so bad they don’t want the public to know what’s in it
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline roamer_1

YEP.

Although, there is always some room to agree.

There is an ancient principle that applies: You don't sh*t where you eat.

Our little county has a dump that, 20 years ago, was a pit... Now it is a very high hill.
Waste in this country is atrocious.

When I went back to the way I was raised, My waste reduced to a point where today, I am rolling the garbage can out to the road, for the first time this winter. I am seriously thinking about curtailing the garbage service altogether, as with the addition of the burn barrel, waste is/will be nearly incidental.

Food scraps go to the compost heap, metal cans washed for recycling, no aluminum cans since I don't do pop or much beer, mixed glass crushed for recycling, plastic gathered for recycling... Paper products burned for the ashes, to mix in the compost and spread on the garden.

And the recycling is nearly nothing - since most of my meat is butchered, and the vast majority of my veggies are home canned (in reusable mason jars), I have very little in the way of packaging to get rid of...  The three standard garbage cans that hold my recycling have not been emptied for a year.

That all said, it is a way of life, not something to be written into law.
But there is something to be said for it.

Offline GrouchoTex

To show how free market capitalism can be used to help foster environmental improvements could be a good thing, if done correctly.

I hope that is what the GOP would be doing here, and not just some sort of apology tour.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
YEP.

Although, there is always some room to agree.

There is an ancient principle that applies: You don't sh*t where you eat.

Our little county has a dump that, 20 years ago, was a pit... Now it is a very high hill.
Waste in this country is atrocious.

When I went back to the way I was raised, My waste reduced to a point where today, I am rolling the garbage can out to the road, for the first time this winter. I am seriously thinking about curtailing the garbage service altogether, as with the addition of the burn barrel, waste is/will be nearly incidental.

Food scraps go to the compost heap, metal cans washed for recycling, no aluminum cans since I don't do pop or much beer, mixed glass crushed for recycling, plastic gathered for recycling... Paper products burned for the ashes, to mix in the compost and spread on the garden.

And the recycling is nearly nothing - since most of my meat is butchered, and the vast majority of my veggies are home canned (in reusable mason jars), I have very little in the way of packaging to get rid of...  The three standard garbage cans that hold my recycling have not been emptied for a year.

That all said, it is a way of life, not something to be written into law.
But there is something to be said for it.

And while I don't ignore the environmental effects, what bothers me is how ungrounded people are anymore. I always about the older generations when they'd talk of living on the farm raising their own meat. Such as when butchering hogs they'd say 'we used everything but the squeal.'

They used, reused, and repurposed anything, simply because they didn't have the money to just buy new and throw away.

You see that everywhere now. People eat out, or it's microwaved and chuck the container in the garbage. Buy cheap light-use crap they don't need, in the landfill when it quickly breaks and go buy another. No savings, no skills, just live impulsive, cavalierly and in the moment.

They just act like the money and conveniences are always gonna be there - until the day they aren't.

But, as I've said here before - the suburbanite lifestyle is going to be the death of us all. I guess I'm just too much embedded into the old way of thinking to always be ready for the lean times if they ever come.

The Republic is lost.

Offline roamer_1

And while I don't ignore the environmental effects, what bothers me is how ungrounded people are anymore. I always about the older generations when they'd talk of living on the farm raising their own meat. Such as when butchering hogs they'd say 'we used everything but the squeal.'

They used, reused, and repurposed anything, simply because they didn't have the money to just buy new and throw away.

You see that everywhere now. People eat out, or it's microwaved and chuck the container in the garbage. Buy cheap light-use crap they don't need, in the landfill when it quickly breaks and go buy another. No savings, no skills, just live impulsive, cavalierly and in the moment.

They just act like the money and conveniences are always gonna be there - until the day they aren't.

But, as I've said here before - the suburbanite lifestyle is going to be the death of us all. I guess I'm just too much embedded into the old way of thinking to always be ready for the lean times if they ever come.

That's right - And I was guilty of it myself. When I lived in town (and granted there were 6 of us then, and I am but one), we did TWO cans, packed down, overflowing, every week, and still often brought garbage to the ranch if there was going to be room in the shop/barn can... Or a special trip out to the county green cans once a month, not including bi-annual trips to the dump with a full load.

Now I can haul it out once every three or four MONTHS. That's just a crazy difference.
That's somewhere between 24/32 cans+ to 1.

But several things do apply - I was way too busy to stop and mess with anything... A slave to that lifestyle.  So was my wife.  So boxed meals and crappy snacks  ruled the day. Hot pockets all around.

And again, as busy as we were, a lot of fast food and pizza, and myself, fast food for breakfast every day too, because I was on the run. Several mocha cups a day and uncountable pop and beer cans made it to the floorboards and then to the cans... Likewise the wife. So tons more packaging that is nearly nonexistent now. I literally live on less money than I used to spend on mochas alone.

No garden, store bought veggies, fruits, and store bought meat. Tons upon tons more packaging.

And the garbage stunk - No chickens, no compost heap, and no worry for skunks, coons, and bears, so all the garbage went right in the can, and needed to go to the curb... Now, mostly because of bears, any cans get rinsed out before crushing (and do get crushed), same with glass before crushing... and my garbage never stinks, even sitting there for months (recyclables for a year or more). So no more tendency to pitch it off the cuff. it is a measured action every time.

And yea, you're right about crappy wallyworld appliances and such, everything on the cheap... Mostly just moving too fast to mess with it, so bought *whatever* just to get it out of my face.  One year, I bought SIX vacs. SIX!!! And with warranty such a mess, and restocks too expensive, We just wound up pitchin it for (yet) another piece of crap.

All of that is no more. I am full swing back into my raising. If it breaks I fix it. If I can't fix it, I find another one used (and probably broken and fix that instead). I look for old stuff that doesn't break and restore it to new for another 50 years of life... It is very very unusual for me to buy new - and then I look for the best I can get... and I can afford it.

It's just a different way, the rural life... And I think a better one. And all it takes is to holler 'nuff on the rat race, and learn how to do otherwise... For me, that was a journey to old paths and sanity.

:beer:
« Last Edit: January 22, 2020, 12:01:39 am by roamer_1 »

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.

On the farm, you could park the retired vehicles in the tree row, stack the unused stuff in the shed, hang things in the barn...There was almost always some place to put things that might be useful, and the neighbors seldom complained, because they did the same. Not trash, not garbage, but potential parts and materials waiting on a project.

No room for that in suburbia. Once the garage is full, but plenty of pressure from everyone (code enforcement, HOAs, the wife, etc.) to throw what might have been useful away. So there is nothing to repurpose if it isn't done today, nothing to scrounge parts off of, all gone to scrap or a landfill somewhere (some day those will be mined, after the methane is tapped off).
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline jafo2010

• Dems-greatest existential threat to USA republic!
I think we need standards on packaging.  Any more I buy something, it is loaded with more packaging than you can imagine.  Time has come to make it mandatory to have a compost pile for those that have the land.  I never had one, but everyone I knew that did, recycled everything they could and used it in their garden.

We need to teach practical processing of garbage before it ends in the can to be toted off.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
I think we need standards on packaging.  Any more I buy something, it is loaded with more packaging than you can imagine.  Time has come to make it mandatory to have a compost pile for those that have the land.  I never had one, but everyone I knew that did, recycled everything they could and used it in their garden.

We need to teach practical processing of garbage before it ends in the can to be toted off.
No, I don't think we need mandatory compost piles.
People who use their land well will compost what they should. People who don't, won't, but the last damned thing we need is some 'minister of compost' running around issuing citations for 'not doing it right'. Oh, Hell, no.

Besides, well run landfills already separate compost, tree debris, metals, in separate areas, scrapping the metals. The local dump here will let you take things out, just weigh in before you go, or after you dump what you bring in. SO some reasonable salvage is present for those who have the gumption or desire. One man's trash is another man's treasure, and I have salvaged lumber, lockers, even furniture. Frankly, local online marketplaces have cut down the amount of stuff that just gets hauled out there, anyway, connecting sellers and buyers like never before. 

I agree, the packaging used in marketing products is sometimes over the top, and could be done in a less wasteful way, but some of that is to protect as well as display the product.  :shrug:
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis