Author Topic: Report: Model sailor lost situational awareness before fatal propeller mishap  (Read 197 times)

rangerrebew

Report: Model sailor lost situational awareness before fatal propeller mishap
Geoff Ziezulewicz

Aviation Boatswain’s Mate (Handling) Airman Apprentice Joseph Min Naglak was struck and killed by a spinning aircraft propeller on the aircraft carrier George H.W. Bush on Sept. 17, 2018. (Navy)

Considered a model sailor by shipmates on the aircraft carrier George H.W. Bush, a junior airman died in 2018 after he lost situational awareness and was struck by the spinning propeller of an E-2 Hawkeye, according to a command investigation obtained by Navy Times.

The probe into the Sept. 17, 2018, death of 21-year-old Aviation Boatswain’s Mate (Handling) Airman Apprentice Joseph Min Naglak offers a sobering reminder of the dangers faced daily by deck crews.

“I have replayed the events in my head to see where we, as a team, could have avoided this tragic accident,” said one sailor whose name is redacted in the report. “The deck was not packed. Crews were not moving excessively fast. Leadership, at all levels, had emphasized safety.”

https://www.navytimes.com/news/your-navy/2020/01/16/report-model-sailor-lost-situational-awareness-before-fatal-propeller-mishap/

rangerrebew

I'm really surprised it doesn't happen more frequently - especially at night.  The sound on the flight deck is just one big solid roar of plane engines. 888what