Author Topic: Snow geese blanket Texas fields  (Read 515 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Snow geese blanket Texas fields
« on: January 18, 2020, 01:58:46 pm »
Houston Chronicle by  Gary Clark Jan. 15, 2020

More than a half-million snow geese spend winters along the Texas Coast. They constitute the most abundant of all waterfowl and travel at least 2,500-miles to get here from breeding grounds on the Arctic tundra.

In the early 19th century, snow geese probably made an astounding non-stop flight to our region. But the advent of North American agriculture with fall’s fields of waste grain provided the geese with places to stop for food and rest before heading to their Texas destination.

My wife Kathy and I have greeted the wintering snow geese throughout our marriage and even during our courtship years. And why not? Clouds of geese filling the skies present a spellbinding scene.

More: https://www.houstonchronicle.com/life/gardening/article/Snow-geese-blanket-Texas-fields-14981548.php

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
Re: Snow geese blanket Texas fields
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2020, 03:21:51 pm »
Snow and Canadian Geese are both obnoxious little suckers who get brazen when they get plentiful in numbers.

They'll block roads, look you in the eye, and dare you to pass.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline PeteS in CA

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2020, 04:05:41 pm »
They still have to fly south for the winter? Does AlGore know this?
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2020, 01:25:27 am »
Have plucked many of them and, although not as tasty as the dark geese, can be good in the stew pot.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2020, 09:58:58 pm »
See them in and around Eagle Lake every year.

Used to see them all over the I-10 area, between Katy and Sealy, but not as much as before, with all the building going on.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2020, 10:14:35 pm »
We haven't lost our natives yet, and northern honkers seem to be sticking around... Open water and open ground.  :shrug: