Author Topic: Trump to roll back Michelle Obama's school lunch rules on vegetables, fruits  (Read 1233 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Trump to roll back Michelle Obama's school lunch rules on vegetables, fruits
By Alicia Cohn - 01/17/20 02:27 PM EST

The Trump administration on Friday announced plans to roll back school lunch standards on vegetables and fruits originally promoted by Michelle Obama, unveiling the proposal on the former first lady's birthday.

The new standards will allow schools more flexibility "because they know their children best," the Agriculture Department said in a press release.

“Schools and school districts continue to tell us that there is still too much food waste and that more common-sense flexibility is needed to provide students nutritious and appetizing meals. We listened and now we’re getting to work,” Agriculture Secretary Sonny Perdue said in a statement.

The proposed rules build on previous steps taken by the Trump administration to unwind the controversial school lunch rules championed by Obama as part of her "Let’s Move!" healthy living campaign. Those rules were implemented through an executive order signed by former President Obama.

Under the new rules, schools would be allowed to reduce the number of fruits and vegetables required at each meal. The change follows a 2019 rollback of restrictions on milk and sodium content in school lunches.

Critics said the change will pave the way for greasier, more unhealthy foods such as pizza, french fries and burgers.

more
https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/478816-trump-administration-to-roll-back-michelle-obamas-school-lunch-rules
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Kids will eat what they find attractive. To some degree, what they need will smell and taste good to them. Low fat milk and low sodium might be fine for someone in their 50s, but not necessarily so for developing bodies with differing nutritional requirements. Besides, food has no nutritional value if it is being thrown out.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Applewood

As I understand it, Michelle's school lunch program had eliminated such foods as pizza and peanut butter.  These foods are not harmful if eaten in moderation and actually, have many healthy properties.  I don't know where she got her degree in nutrition.  I don't have a degree, but even I know her plan was starving the kids and depriving them of essential nutrients.

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
As I understand it, Michelle's school lunch program had eliminated such foods as pizza and peanut butter.  These foods are not harmful if eaten in moderation and actually, have many healthy properties.  I don't know where she got her degree in nutrition.  I don't have a degree, but even I know her plan was starving the kids and depriving them of essential nutrients.
At my grandsons middle school he says the free lunch is crap but if they pay they get outside vendors food like pizza, rice bowls, burgers, tacos , burritos, etc. The mooches lunch rules didn't seem to hold true here evem when he was in elementary and we're in SoCal.

Online libertybele

Winning!!!!  Good for President Trump and thank God he's doing this our kids' health a favor.

This low carbohydrate, low sodium, low fat diet is crap.  In order to get food to be half way pleasing to the palate they put in additives that are more harmful than the higher carbs, salt and fat.  The body needs some fat and sodium.

Occasionally I look at the school menu of my grandkids.  It is downright ridiculous and these kids have to be hungry on the meager crap that they feed them.

This is an example of breakfast (seriously, I kid you not)

Pop Tart
 Yogurt Cup
 Cheese Stick
 Assorted Fruit
 Skim Milk, or Fat Free Chocolate Milk

What kind of freakin' breakfast is that?    A pop tart?  Are you kidding me? That is filled with nothing but chemicals!!

Lunch:

WOW Pack -
 Butter (soy) & Jelly Sandwich, Cheese Stick,  Goldfish Crackers FF Milk    There is nothing WOW about that lunch.

Oh by the way -- we used to pack our grandson's lunch and the schools now will NOT allow a child to bring a lunch, they must eat the crap that the schools call lunch.

« Last Edit: January 18, 2020, 02:57:40 am by libertybele »
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Smokin Joe

Winning!!!!  Good for President Trump and thank God he's doing this our kids' health a favor.

This low carbohydrate, low sodium, low fat diet is crap.  In order to get food to be half way pleasing to the palate they put in additives that are more harmful than the higher carbs, salt and fat.  The body needs some fat and sodium.

Occasionally I look at the school menu of my grandkids.  It is downright ridiculous and these kids have to be hungry on the meager crap that they feed them.

This is an example of breakfast (seriously, I kid you not)

Pop Tart
 Yogurt Cup
 Cheese Stick
 Assorted Fruit
 Skim Milk, or Fat Free Chocolate Milk

What kind of freakin' breakfast is that?    A pop tart?  Are you kidding me? That is filled with nothing but chemicals!!

Lunch:

WOW Pack -
 Butter (soy) & Jelly Sandwich, Cheese Stick,  Goldfish Crackers FF Milk    There is nothing WOW about that lunch.

Oh by the way -- we used to pack our grandson's lunch and the schools now will NOT allow a child to bring a lunch, they must eat the crap that the schools call lunch.

I just know that when my grandson was in Jr. High, he came home starving every day, only three hours after lunch. He has never been fat, frankly was described as "ripped", and was the fastest kid in the school (beat out my granddaughter who had held the title before him). Nowhere near enough protein in that diet.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online libertybele

I just know that when my grandson was in Jr. High, he came home starving every day, only three hours after lunch. He has never been fat, frankly was described as "ripped", and was the fastest kid in the school (beat out my granddaughter who had held the title before him). Nowhere near enough protein in that diet.

Exactly.  Where's the protein? 

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Smokin Joe

Exactly.  Where's the protein?
They want skinny, weak kids with impaired cognitive function and low T. They are more docile and don't ask questions.

C S Lewis

Online libertybele

They want skinny, weak kids with impaired cognitive function and low T. They are more docile and don't ask questions.

You are absolutely correct.  It is really sad - let's go back to letting the parent's pack the kids lunches. Yes there is a need for a school lunch program, but certainly we can do better than handing them a pop tart and then expect them to sit still and pay attention!

Offline Smokin Joe

You are absolutely correct.  It is really sad - let's go back to letting the parent's pack the kids lunches. Yes there is a need for a school lunch program, but certainly we can do better than handing them a pop tart and then expect them to sit still and pay attention!
Sadly, a lot of parents have abdicated the role to the State, some even believing that all is well. The venerable Peanut butter and jelly sandwich is gone, due to food allergies. George Washington Carver's great hope for a decent and cheap protein source for poor people is gone from the schools, a casualty of liability suits.
From all the ads I have seen lauding "Impossible burgers" and plant based sausage and chicken nuggets stuffed with veggies, there is even more going on, likely a spin off of the whole 'get rid of animals as a food source to save the planet'.
If a fast food outfit is offering a 'fake' burger, I won't eat there.

C S Lewis

Offline Applewood

This program has been especially bad for active kids, especially the athletes. 

Offline Smokin Joe

This program has been especially bad for active kids, especially the athletes.
Yep. If grandma and I hadn't fed him 'old school', who knows what it would have done to him. He isn't as tall as I am, still might hit another growth spurt, but he's in good shape and strong and healthy, for which I am thankful.

C S Lewis

Offline roamer_1

My grands take a sack lunch regardless of the lunch police.
I attribute it to a long history of avoiding the revenuers.  happy77

Offline roamer_1

From all the ads I have seen lauding "Impossible burgers" and plant based sausage and chicken nuggets stuffed with veggies, there is even more going on, likely a spin off of the whole 'get rid of animals as a food source to save the planet'.
If a fast food outfit is offering a 'fake' burger, I won't eat there.

Where's that 'Where's the Beef' lady now?

Offline Applewood

Well, guys, I have gout, which is controlled through a very restrictive diet.  I have a laundry list of foods I can no longer eat, among them any red meat (beef, pork, venison or game meat).  So these Impossible burgers and similar plant-based "meats" have been a godsend for me.  However people should know that these plant based "meats" are high in saturated fats, so they aren't as healthy as you might think.  But every once in a while I crave a good burger and while these plant-based burgers aren't even close to beef, they do satisfy the craving. 

Offline roamer_1

Well, guys, I have gout, which is controlled through a very restrictive diet.  I have a laundry list of foods I can no longer eat, among them any red meat (beef, pork, venison or game meat).  So these Impossible burgers and similar plant-based "meats" have been a godsend for me.  However people should know that these plant based "meats" are high in saturated fats, so they aren't as healthy as you might think.  But every once in a while I crave a good burger and while these plant-based burgers aren't even close to beef, they do satisfy the craving.

I feel for you @Applewood , I really do - But that dang Frankenmeat will never ever pass my lips.
 **nononono* **nononono* **nononono*

Offline Smokin Joe

To each their own. i'm a red meat kinda guy, and have been as long as I can recall, since seafood is no longer an option for me.(I grew up in the tidewater, catching my own, and this far from salt water, nothing is anywhere near what I recall). Chicken and turkey are okay, but they don't satisfy the basic craving for beef/venison/pork, although beef and venison are at the top of my list. Buffalo is all right, too. My uncle had gout, and the main problem seemed to be with the amount of cured meat he ate (according to his doctors)--which left ham, bacon (the horror), sausages, and other cured meats out of his diet. I really felt for him, but it left more for me...

C S Lewis

Offline roamer_1

Chicken and turkey are okay, but they don't satisfy the basic craving for beef/venison/pork, although beef and venison are at the top of my list. Buffalo is all right, too.

10-4.

I can eat all of em and be satisfied, and I eat a ton of fish too... Mostly trout or kokanee, but won't mind perch, bass, pike, bluegill, sunfish, or whitefish either.

But yeah... Beef, buffalo, elk, and venison are at the top of the list for sure

Offline Applewood

I feel for you @Applewood , I really do - But that dang Frankenmeat will never ever pass my lips.
 **nononono* **nononono* **nononono*

I don't blame you @roamer_1 I miss the real thing.  But after a particularly severe gout attack, I had to quit meat.  Broke my heart when I had to give away some really nice fillets I had in my freezer -- wrapped in bacon too.   8888crybaby

Offline Texas Yellow Rose

• Native Texan
Trump to roll back Michelle Obama's school lunch rules on vegetables, fruits
By Alicia Cohn - 01/17/20 02:27 PM EST

The change follows a 2019 rollback of restrictions on milk and sodium content in school lunches.

Critics said the change will pave the way for greasier, more unhealthy foods such as pizza, french fries and burgers.

Sodium Content!!!  The Jan 21st lunch menu at my granddaughter's school has 1302 mg of sodium! How much more do they need, huh?  Our school stuffs their faces with carbs in the morning and totally processed foods at lunch that is nothing more than junk food and call it a "good lunch".  It's disgusting. 

Offline roamer_1

I don't blame you @roamer_1 I miss the real thing.  But after a particularly severe gout attack, I had to quit meat.  Broke my heart when I had to give away some really nice fillets I had in my freezer -- wrapped in bacon too.   8888crybaby

@Applewood

My sister, oddly enough, is the other way around. Her particular auto-immune malady is forcing her ever closer to a strict carnivore diet. I'm not saying she'd give her right eye for a plate of spaghetti... But she'd think about it...

It's almost St. Paddy's Day... There is a particular cake that Rosaurs (supermarket) bakery puts out around then... A brilliant single-layer mint-chocolate cake with holiday appropriate green frosting in the sides, and a stiff chocolate ganache on top.

It was an annual event... I would answer the phone, and out of the blue, there she is, saying: "Put on a pot of coffee, I'm a'coming over!!" And there she'd be, with that lovely little cake.

I miss it, I do. She has a tendency to hide over here when her business, her hubby, her kid, and taking care of mother and the church become too much... She shuts off her phone and we sit over coffee or out on the porch and talk about weird sh*t...

But that cake day was a special thing just for me and her. What with her troubles, it is no more. :crying:

Offline PeteS in CA

My sympathies! I have very occasional gout flares, not diet related and reducible by colchicine, so BTDT to a lesser degree. If it came down to chicken and turkey vs. wheelchair, yeah, I'd take the poultry.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.