Author Topic: Is Governor Northam trying to start a second civil war?  (Read 4207 times)

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Re: Is Governor Northam trying to start a second civil war?
« Reply #100 on: January 19, 2020, 04:25:09 am »
Then quite literally, all hope is lost. The grown-ups have left the room. All that's left is a food fight.
so use the rifle already and stop the complaining and end it all.

The rest of us will continue the battle.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #101 on: January 19, 2020, 04:42:56 am »
In one election, the TEA Party did more for Conservatism than anything since the '94 election. A record turnover of statehouses and governorships, vetting conservatives, and getting them elected from the ground up. ONE election, off-season, did that.

But...what did all those Tea Party election victories actually accomplish?  What was the great rollback of government spending, etc.?  As best as I can tell, it didn't accomplish anything except to slow down what Obama would have done otherwise.  But in terms of positive accomplishments for conservatism....what were their actual triumphs?

Don't get me wrong -- I think the tea parties were great.  But if you're going to criticize Trump for not actually getting enough done, that criticism would seem to apply ten-fold to the Tea Parties.  They basically accomplished nothing on the national level because the Democrats controlled the Presidency

@roamer_1

Online roamer_1

« Reply #102 on: January 19, 2020, 05:41:00 am »
But...what did all those Tea Party election victories actually accomplish?  What was the great rollback of government spending, etc.?  As best as I can tell, it didn't accomplish anything except to slow down what Obama would have done otherwise.  But in terms of positive accomplishments for conservatism....what were their actual triumphs?

Don't get me wrong -- I think the tea parties were great.  But if you're going to criticize Trump for not actually getting enough done, that criticism would seem to apply ten-fold to the Tea Parties.  They basically accomplished nothing on the national level because the Democrats controlled the Presidency

It has nothing to do with democrats *at all* @Maj. Bill Martin ...What they were trying to do was overturn the moderate Republican machine... From the ground up. And they did a fine job of that. The move at the national level was Cruz. Then came Tumpy the Clown, and now, thanks to him and the moderates, and changes enacted at the national RNC, the moderates are nearly permanently ensconced.

Y'all are fighting the wrong war. Worry about the enemy INSIDE the gate. The ones you are currently in full throated support of.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #103 on: January 19, 2020, 05:45:08 am »
so use the rifle already and stop the complaining and end it all.

The rest of us will continue the battle.

Nah, thanks... I will survive, and probably better than most of y'all.

You are fighting the wrong battle, and those you are in league with are every bit the scourge that the democrats are.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #104 on: January 19, 2020, 06:01:14 am »
Nah, thanks... I will survive, and probably better than most of y'all.

You are fighting the wrong battle, and those you are in league with are every bit the scourge that the democrats are.

@roamer_1

That is what draft-dodgers have been saying for all of recorded  history to try to justify their lack of action.  Easy to be critical of everyone else's efforts when you are making no effort at all. Sitting on the sidelines booing everyone else's attempts only makes you a contrarian,not a sage.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2020, 06:04:17 am by sneakypete »
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online roamer_1

« Reply #105 on: January 19, 2020, 06:16:57 am »
@roamer_1

That is what draft-dodgers have been saying for all of recorded  history to try to justify their lack of action.  Easy to be critical of everyone else's efforts when you are making no effort at all. Sitting on the sidelines booing everyone else's attempts only makes you a contrarian,not a sage.

@sneakypete

Yeah, bullcrap. I did my time, and got bupkis. And because I will not help you in what I consider, no, what I know to be a waste of time gives me a very good reason to put my efforts elsewhere.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2020, 06:17:43 am by roamer_1 »

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #106 on: January 19, 2020, 08:47:25 am »
:yowsa: goopo @Smokin Joe

Correct in every detail.The more I read and study the more convinced I become that it's too late for THIS republic short of force of arms and I'm far too long in the tooth to be much good there.
If it comes to that, good optics are a plus.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #107 on: January 19, 2020, 08:50:32 am »
Praying for potential bloodshed?  Gotcha.....
If you read Matt Bracken's article linked elsewhere, that would have the armed people out of the likely conflict areas. Not showing up where expected might be key to having a peaceful rally, and foil attempts to thwart that aim by ANTIFA, of for that matter, anyone else. It would also make any rooftop snipers have to relocate, which might disclose their hides.

Keep the opposition off balance.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #108 on: January 20, 2020, 02:53:24 am »
It has nothing to do with democrats *at all* @Maj. Bill Martin ...What they were trying to do was overturn the moderate Republican machine... From the ground up. And they did a fine job of that. The move at the national level was Cruz. Then came Tumpy the Clown, and now, thanks to him and the moderates, and changes enacted at the national RNC, the moderates are nearly permanently ensconced.

@roamer_1

You're talking about purely political accomplishments -- tea party candidates winning elections.  But everyone in office has won elections by definition, so that's not really an accomplishment at all unless it translates to policy victories.   What exactly did the tea parties accomplish in terms of actually changing government policies after their 2010 victories?

And even if you're just talking about political victories, then saying "the tea parties won until Trump came along, so they really lost", then the tea parties really didn't accomplish anything in political terms either.  They actually failed.

And just to be clear, I don't really think the tea parties failed -- not completely.  I do think they made important policy contributions.  But what they accomplished was much less than the wholesale reversals that some hard-line conservatives consider the only real success that matters.  So, by the absolutist standards of some of those conservatives, the tea parties clearly failed.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #109 on: January 20, 2020, 10:44:32 am »
@roamer_1

You're talking about purely political accomplishments -- tea party candidates winning elections.  But everyone in office has won elections by definition, so that's not really an accomplishment at all unless it translates to policy victories.   What exactly did the tea parties accomplish in terms of actually changing government policies after their 2010 victories?

And even if you're just talking about political victories, then saying "the tea parties won until Trump came along, so they really lost", then the tea parties really didn't accomplish anything in political terms either.  They actually failed.

And just to be clear, I don't really think the tea parties failed -- not completely.  I do think they made important policy contributions.  But what they accomplished was much less than the wholesale reversals that some hard-line conservatives consider the only real success that matters.  So, by the absolutist standards of some of those conservatives, the tea parties clearly failed.
As a "hardcore" conservative, (I just want the Original intent of the Constitution followed, if that's "hardcore"), holding the line would be something, even small steps back toward the goal of restoring the Republic to what it should be. Sure, my goal is farther along than that, but it took 150+ years to make a thorough mess of what the Founders crafted, and it will take time to reverse that. It won't happen overnight by peaceful means, if at all. Chances are that any other than peaceful means will only create the sort of crisis Alinskyites are dreaming of exploiting, which is part of my concern about today's Lobbying Day in Virginia, being hyped as everything from nutjobs descending on Richmond to the opener for CWII. That is not the purpose, just to meet with legislators and express opinions of pending legislation.

That said, I didn't expect the TEA party candidates to get a lot done, just to honor their promises made on the stump and try. Many fell short of that mark.

C S Lewis

Online roamer_1

« Reply #110 on: January 20, 2020, 05:07:29 pm »
@roamer_1

@Maj. Bill Martin
You're kidding right? Good God y'all, if this isn't typically Tumpist! At the national level?? Across two, maybe three elections, Conservatives increased by maybe 20 in the House Freedom Caucus, and maybe 5 freakin Senators. What the hell do you expect?  How much can they rule or over rule with numbers that small? Your impatience is absurd. Still, how many times have you seen Cruz, Lee, Cotton, and Paul standing in the breach?

You see ACTUAL party building takes YEARS, but when you're done, you have ACTUAL power, and can pass ACTUAL legislation. The magic doesn't really start till you've captured 1/3rd or better of the party on the floor. Look at all the damage McCain and his cohorts did with 8 senators? Look at the only thing that got in their way, with only 5. What do you think happens with 10-20? What about 50-75 in the House?

Y'all have no idea the damage you've done listening to that orange clown and leaping for joy at his every Executive Order. Idiocracy. Gone without a mark in 4, maybe 8 years... And probably you're greatest legacy? Setting actual Conservatism back a decade. Great job!  *****rollingeyes*****

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #111 on: January 20, 2020, 05:10:58 pm »
As a "hardcore" conservative, (I just want the Original intent of the Constitution followed, if that's "hardcore"), holding the line would be something, even small steps back toward the goal of restoring the Republic to what it should be.

I agree with that.  My point is that whatever the standard is for success, it should be the same for both the tea parties and for Trump.  And honestly, I see Trump having accomplished more for conservatism than did the tea parties.  But I do give the tea parties credit for holding the line on some things so that they didn't get worse.  Immigration in particular.  They forced Obama to do things by executive order, and thus made them much easier to reverse later on.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #112 on: January 20, 2020, 05:21:45 pm »
@roamer_1

@Maj. Bill Martin
You're kidding right? Good God y'all, if this isn't typically Tumpist! At the national level?? Across two, maybe three elections, Conservatives increased by maybe 20 in the House Freedom Caucus, and maybe 5 freakin Senators. What the hell do you expect?  How much can they rule or over rule with numbers that small? Your impatience is absurd. Still, how many times have you seen Cruz, Lee, Cotton, and Paul standing in the breach?

You see ACTUAL party building takes YEARS, but when you're done, you have ACTUAL power, and can pass ACTUAL legislation. The magic doesn't really start till you've captured 1/3rd or better of the party on the floor. Look at all the damage McCain and his cohorts did with 8 senators? Look at the only thing that got in their way, with only 5. What do you think happens with 10-20? What about 50-75 in the House?

Honestly, you're kind of arguing out of both sides of your mouth.  Here, you're basically saying "it's not the tea parties fault that they couldn't accomplish that much", and I agree.  But here's what you said earlier, which was the reason I responded:

In one election, the TEA Party did more for Conservatism than anything since the '94 election.

And that's what led me to ask you what exactly the tea parties accomplished.  I'd say this -- I think they prevented Obama from getting legislation passed on immigration.  They couldn't get a good bill, but they at least stopped Obama's.  But they didn't actually move the ball in a positive direction at all.  On any issue.  And that's because there just weren't enough of them.

Trump has actually managed to get conservative justices appointed both to the Supreme Court, and to the lower federal courts as well.  He's pushed as hard as he can on immigration, and finally got a case up to the Supreme Court where he is very likely to win.  He's reduced regulation, and reduced taxes.  Those are more actual policy accomplishments than anything the tea parties actually accomplished.

Now, do I wish he'd accomplished a lot more?  Sure.  I really wish the GOP in Congress would have gone along with Ryan's entitlement reform bill, but he didn't have the votes.  He didn't have the votes to repeal ObamaCare either -- McCain screwed him and all of us as well.  But here's my point:  You apparently accept the tea party excuse of "we just didn't have enough votes" to explain why they couldn't accomplish policy changes, but refuse to accept the exact same excuse as to why Trump couldn't get rid of Obamacare, or reform entitlements and thereby control spending.

Trump is miles from perfect.  But he has actually moved the ball in the right direction on a number of issues, which is more of an actual policy accomplishment than anything the Tea Party did.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #113 on: January 20, 2020, 06:25:53 pm »

Honestly, you're kind of arguing out of both sides of your mouth.  Here, you're basically saying "it's not the tea parties fault that they couldn't accomplish that much", and I agree.  But here's what you said earlier, which was the reason I responded:

@Maj. Bill Martin

What I said is apples and oranges... Let me supply the entire context of the quote:
The point of the spear is the Tea Party. But I am not without hope. In one election, the TEA Party did more for Conservatism than anything since the '94 election. A record turnover of statehouses and governorships, vetting conservatives, and getting them elected from the ground up. ONE election, off-season, did that.

I was part of the grassroots of all that, and it took us two election cycles just to get the head of steam.
But the 'chapter' I was personally involve in made a serious difference. I really can't say more without imperiling my anonymity.

And that's what led me to ask you what exactly the tea parties accomplished.  I'd say this -- I think they prevented Obama from getting legislation passed on immigration.  They couldn't get a good bill, but they at least stopped Obama's.  But they didn't actually move the ball in a positive direction at all.  On any issue.  And that's because there just weren't enough of them.

Right. Apples/oranges. Statehouses and governorships are not the national party. I know dang well we didn't have enough to overturn the national party. And that is not what I said. Nor is it realistic. It takes time for those put in place in statehouses and governorships to run their course and aim at national.

Trump has actually managed to get conservative justices appointed both to the Supreme Court, and to the lower federal courts as well. 

No, he managed to get REPUBLICAN judges, vetted by McConnell, seated. I have my suspicions that is a far cry from Conservative.

He's pushed as hard as he can on immigration, and finally got a case up to the Supreme Court where he is very likely to win. 

Ineffective so far - And probably going to remain ineffective. I want the wall as much as anyone, and credit (when) due... But the wall means nothing without patrols. Literally a false sense of security that two guys in a pickup with a cutting torch can deny. And those patrols are not there. No more garrisons built.

He's reduced regulation

True, but temporary, infinitesimal, and incidental.

[...] and reduced taxes. 

WITHOUT REDUCING SPENDING - which is the GIGANTIC elephant in that room.  9999hair out0000

Those are more actual policy accomplishments than anything the tea parties actually accomplished.

No, they really aren't. No wait, that ain't fair - I will grant leave on the judges, because neither of us know that result, and won't for years. But i have been down this hopeful road before, with very little to show for it. Go look at how many judges other modern presidents have installed, and you might begin to see what I do. Where are all those 'conservative' judges Dubya seated (that is not an insignificant number)? I heard the same dang thing then.

But here's my point:  You apparently accept the tea party excuse of "we just didn't have enough votes" to explain why they couldn't accomplish policy changes, but refuse to accept the exact same excuse as to why Trump couldn't get rid of Obamacare, or reform entitlements and thereby control spending.

Because the TEA Party is a different, and real, ground game. It isn't predicated on one man. It isn't made of shiny, bouncy crap, designed to fool the masses. It's a slow and determined and thankless task, out of the lime light, and long in the suffering.

There is no real and lasting win without legislation. And legislation requires numbers, coalitions, and real Conservatives at the levers. THAT is what the TEA party was doing. That is not what all y'all are doing.

That just doesn't happen in a single election with a Jumping-Jack-Flash slinging EOs like some gamer-style gunslinger. What you are supporting is as laughably false as Dubya was, and will vanish the very same way.

Trump is miles from perfect.  But he has actually moved the ball in the right direction on a number of issues, which is more of an actual policy accomplishment than anything the Tea Party did.

That simply is not true. Nearly everything he has done is gone in a flash the minute the Dems ascend - Just like Obama before him. For the very same reason. What we DO get to keep is bigger government, and bigger bills, passed inevitably down to our grandchildren. Thank you very much for the courage of your convictions.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #114 on: January 20, 2020, 07:08:28 pm »

@roamer_1

WITHOUT REDUCING SPENDING - which is the GIGANTIC elephant in that room.

The Tea Party didn't reduce spending either.  And to your point, they couldn't because they didn't have the votes in Congress.  I'm just suggesting you consider extending the same recognition of lack of votes in Congress to Trump.  It's the lack of conservative votes in Congress that is the GIGANTIC elephant in the room.  Trump supported Ryan's deficit reduction plan -- didn't have enough votes in Congress to win.  He supported repealing Obamacare -- but again, didn't have enough votes in Congress to win.  But you insist on blaming Trump for not reducing the deficit while simultaneously saying it's not fair to blame the Tea Party for failing to do the same.  Yet in both cases, the culpable entity is Congress as a whole, and the lack of conservative votes.  Why is that Trump's fault?  if anything, he's been the guy chasing out the RINO's.

That simply is not true. Nearly everything he has done is gone in a flash the minute the Dems ascend - Just like Obama before him. For the very same reason. What we DO get to keep is bigger government, and bigger bills, passed inevitably down to our grandchildren. Thank you very much for the courage of your convictions.

It is true.  Outside of ObamaCare, almost everything Obama accomplished was via Executive Order.  It took awhile to get rid of those because of bogus court rulings, but Trump will end up winning on those, and getting rulings that those kind of EO's are unconstitutional.  He's able to do that even though the Dems hold the House because they were only Obama Executive Orders in the first place.

But in additional to tossing Obama EO's and getting favorable court rulings, Trump also got actual legislation.  The tax reform was huge -- easily the biggest, best tax bill since Reagan.  He's building an actual wall along the most heavily crossed sections of the border, and if he gets a second term, he'll likely be able to complete it.  That isn't nothing.

Anyway, I'll finish with this.  I fully supported the Tea Party movement.  And even though they didn't manage to gain control of Congress, they did enough to deny the Democrats control of Congress for the last six years of Obama, and so prevented them from enacting a ton of very, very bad legislation.  That's a big positive, particularly in terms of immigration.  Because if it hadn't been for the Tea Party, the Democrats likely would have enacted massive amnesty/legalization that would have granted citizenship to more than enough illegals to swing every future national election.  So thank you for your efforts with the Tea Party, because that was huge.

However...I'd suggest that perhaps Trump be viewed the same way, and why a vote for him is so important.  Because if he doesn't win, and at least "do nothing", we're going to get a Democrat who at the barest minimum will appoint left wing activists judges.  And then they won't need control of both houses, because those activists judges and Justices will then ram through as constitutional mandates most of the things we both oppose.  Immigration...the whole thing.  And then the game really will be over, because you can't get rid of those Supreme Court opinions without control of both the Presidency and the Senate, and if they get their mass legalization, we will have no shot at any of that, ever again.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2020, 07:11:45 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline DB

« Reply #115 on: January 20, 2020, 07:14:53 pm »
It takes leadership to get the votes to reduce borrowed spending.

There is no leadership in D.C. these days.

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #116 on: January 20, 2020, 07:16:12 pm »
The Tea Party didn't reduce spending either.  And to your point, they couldn't because they didn't have the votes in Congress.  I'm just suggesting you consider extending the same recognition of lack of votes in Congress to Trump.  It's the lack of conservative votes in Congress that is the GIGANTIC elephant in the room.  Trump supported Ryan's deficit reduction plan -- didn't have enough votes in Congress to win.  He supported repealing Obamacare -- but again, didn't have enough votes in Congress to win.  But you insist on blaming Trump for not reducing the deficit while simultaneously saying it's not fair to blame the Tea Party for failing to do the same.  Yet in both cases, the culpable entity is Congress as a whole, and the lack of conservative votes.  Why is that Trump's fault?  if anything, he's been the guy chasing out the RINO's.

@Maj. Bill Martin
Don't forget that congress gave him the budget bills with only a week or so before he would have to close the government and get beat up over that....  No way out...

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #117 on: January 20, 2020, 07:28:59 pm »

However...I'd suggest that perhaps Trump be viewed the same way, and why a vote for him is so important.  Because if he doesn't win, and at least "do nothing", we're going to get a Democrat who at the barest minimum will appoint left wing activists judges.  And then they won't need control of both houses, because those activists judges and Justices will then ram through as constitutional mandates most of the things we both oppose.  Immigration...the whole thing.  And then the game really will be over, because you can't get rid of those Supreme Court opinions without control of both the Presidency and the Senate, and if they get their mass legalization, we will have no shot at any of that, ever again.

@Maj. Bill Martin

These self-centered "purists" understand this as well as you or I,and they just don't care. What they care about is being able to stand on the heads of their little "Purity Pins" and do their little "Purity/Superiority Dances".

You would think they were all 6 years old instead of 60 years old.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #118 on: January 20, 2020, 07:34:30 pm »
These self-centered "purists" understand this as well as you or I,and they just don't care. What they care about is being able to stand on the heads of their little "Purity Pins" and do their little "Purity/Superiority Dances".

You would think they were all 6 years old instead of 60 years old.

To be honest, I don't think the put-downs are very effective at getting people to see things from a different perspective.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2020, 07:35:26 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #119 on: January 20, 2020, 07:45:56 pm »
To be honest, I don't think the put-downs are very effective at getting people to see things from a different perspective.

@Maj. Bill Martin

More counter-productive than anything because they expressly state "MY way,or the highway!" Who the hell WANTS to live under a dictatorship?

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #120 on: January 20, 2020, 07:51:49 pm »
@Maj. Bill Martin

More counter-productive than anything because they expressly state "MY way,or the highway!" Who the hell WANTS to live under a dictatorship?

In fairness to those guys, they're really not advocating a dictatorship.  They're simply saying we should vote differently.

For me, Trump initially was not my first, or even tenth, choice in 2016.  But he's been better than I thought he'd be in terms of policy, especially on those crucial lifetime appointments.  And realistically, either he or the Democrat is going to be President in 2020.  So even if Trump is a big nothing who doesn't do anything about the deficit, he's still light-years ahead of Democrats who will game the election system so that we have absolutely no chance of electing someone better in future elections.

Right now, it's all about the border and citizenship/amnesty for illegals.  It's the issue that trumps (pun intended) everything else because losing means they will rig the system so that they'll win all future elections.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2020, 08:19:37 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #121 on: January 20, 2020, 08:10:10 pm »
So even if Trump is a big nothing who doesn't do anything about the deficit, he's still light-years ahead of Democrats who will game the election system so that we have absolutely no chance of electing someone better in future elections.
That is true. There is little doubt that if Democrats, in this era of Socialism and hyper-partisanship, if the Dems ever gain the Presidency and the Senate, the first order of business will be to limit the power of elections somehow. They would likely change the entire foundation of the way American elections are conducted to favor the Left (more than it does already), with the ultimate goal of eliminating public elections altogether. Senators will 'elect' other Senators and so on like that.

We have seen through this 'fake' impeachment that Democrats have no respect for the rule of Law, the Constitution, or the American People. If they ever get enough power to make it happen, they would immediately change the election rules so that no Republican (the Party of freedom) would ever be elected ever again. Congress would become a Soviet style politburo. The Presidency would become a kind of socialist dictatorship through executive orders, and the American People would become powerless serfs in a socialist autocracy.

This is the Democrats' (if you can still call them that name) ultimate goal. They do not want only a coup against Trump. They want a coup over all of America.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #122 on: January 20, 2020, 08:56:40 pm »
The Tea Party didn't reduce spending either. 

In fact, I'll bet they did - But you would have to go into the statehouses and governorships to find that out. Again, the emphasis of the TEA party was ground-up. You are focused on national, where the TEA party had barely begun. 

And to your point, they couldn't because they didn't have the votes in Congress.  I'm just suggesting you consider extending the same recognition of lack of votes in Congress to Trump. 

No, Tump is a one hit wonder at best - The TEA Party was/is ongoing. WHATEVER Tumpy is going to do is DONE in 4/8 years. And he has done absolutely nothing to reign in spending and balance budgets (one of his primary promises). Not even a single veto. Not even significant dickering. He just signs the bill. FOR TRILLIONS... And somehow remains unaccountable.  **nononono*

It's the lack of conservative votes in Congress that is the GIGANTIC elephant in the room.  Trump supported Ryan's deficit reduction plan -- didn't have enough votes in Congress to win.  He supported repealing Obamacare -- but again, didn't have enough votes in Congress to win. 

Alright... Not enough Conservatives... Forged by the same shallow pragmatism and Republican-ism that forged Tump. Your rah-rah bullcrap is getting in your own way.

But you insist on blaming Trump for not reducing the deficit while simultaneously saying it's not fair to blame the Tea Party for failing to do the same.  Yet in both cases, the culpable entity is Congress as a whole, and the lack of conservative votes. 

And again, barely begun to be effected by the TEA Party Movement - The movement defamed and destroyed at the national level BY Tump and the moderates.

Were you serious, you'd be voting for Conservatives. That's how you get more Conservatives IN CONGRESS so that there are MORE CONSERVATIVE VOTES. That is all I am doing.

Why is that Trump's fault?  if anything, he's been the guy chasing out the RINO's.

The more salient question is: Why ISN'T it Tump's fault? I am on record here screaming 'throw the bastards out' - I am not limiting blame to Tump. But neither will I hold him  unaccountable.

And no, the RINOs (moderate globalists) are largely intact, and STILL in power, hand in hand with Tumpy the Clown. It is the Conservatives that have been decimated. Derailed in elections by the RNC,  Defamed, or cast out in the ether by Tumpy's nuclear powered revolving door, spinning like a desktop fan... There are hardly any Conservatives left. Go find how many 90%+ Conservatives now walk the halls of Congress.

It is true.  Outside of ObamaCare, almost everything Obama accomplished was via Executive Order.  It took awhile to get rid of those because of bogus court rulings, but Trump will end up winning on those, and getting rulings that those kind of EO's are unconstitutional.  He's able to do that even though the Dems hold the House because they were only Obama Executive Orders in the first place.

But in additional to tossing Obama EO's and getting favorable court rulings, Trump also got actual legislation.  The tax reform was huge -- easily the biggest, best tax bill since Reagan.  He's building an actual wall along the most heavily crossed sections of the border, and if he gets a second term, he'll likely be able to complete it.  That isn't nothing.

You are making my case. Obama and Tump are identical in their governing... or will be if Tumpy gets another term... Each has one significant bill to their credit, passed as law... All the rest they have done has been by EO, and what has happened to Obama's legacy, which you are lauding Tump for, will just as quickly happen to Tump's.

It's the same dang thing. Just opposite sides of the coin...  EOs mean nothing. They are temporary.
As to the wall, as I said, until the wall is there and garrisoned, yes, it is nothing. Blocking high traffic is like damming water. It just goes somewhere else.

Anyway, I'll finish with this.  I fully supported the Tea Party movement.  And even though they didn't manage to gain control of Congress, they did enough to deny the Democrats control of Congress for the last six years of Obama, and so prevented them from enacting a ton of very, very bad legislation.  That's a big positive, particularly in terms of immigration.  Because if it hadn't been for the Tea Party, the Democrats likely would have enacted massive amnesty/legalization that would have granted citizenship to more than enough illegals to swing every future national election.  So thank you for your efforts with the Tea Party, because that was huge.

:beer: Right. All that without a focus on national offices. All that with but a handful of true stalwarts.

However...I'd suggest that perhaps Trump be viewed the same way, and why a vote for him is so important.  Because if he doesn't win, and at least "do nothing", we're going to get a Democrat who at the barest minimum will appoint left wing activists judges. 

I do not suppose Tump to be doing nothing... I submit he is in bed with the globalist moderates. Thus his judges, vetted throug McConnell, are just activists of another flavor, and I will bet money that flavor is NOT Conservative.

I view the globalist moderate right to be every bit as dangerous as the communist left. So your argument fails right there.

And then they won't need control of both houses, because those activists judges and Justices will then ram through as constitutional mandates most of the things we both oppose.  Immigration...the whole thing.  And then the game really will be over, because you can't get rid of those Supreme Court opinions without control of both the Presidency and the Senate, and if they get their mass legalization, we will have no shot at any of that, ever again.

Fair - But immigration is not stopping. Nor is the wall there. Tump has made noise toward path-to-citizenship, just like every other damn moderate globalist. And I fully expect amnesty out of this president in his second term.

Neither is immigration 'the thing'... Spending is every bit as much as big a 'thing'. An exponentially growing by trillions thing. A 'See you in Venezuela' thing.

Our hollowed out education system is another 'thing' That indoctrination and propaganda system remains untouched, and needs to stop right now.

And an hundred other aspects of THE THING. None of that is being touched. And Big Gvt Tump is the best we can do? Dismal.

What has to happen is exactly the 'purity' all y'all decry. A Republican big tent is precisely useless, as it has proven to be for decades. Except in its cover for New World Order Globalists.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #123 on: January 20, 2020, 09:04:24 pm »
That is true. There is little doubt that if Democrats, in this era of Socialism and hyper-partisanship, if the Dems ever gain the Presidency and the Senate, the first order of business will be to limit the power of elections somehow.

No that is not true, or rather, only half true.

Look up 3rd-way Socialism, and apply it to government/corporate partnerships... Globalist Corporate Cronyism. That's what is getting your full-throated support as a Republican.

Your choice is Democrat global communism, centered in the committees of the UN, or Republican global NWO 3rd-way Socialism centered in board rooms.

I suggest that neither one should be supported. The only choice is not to choose, and work on another way.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2020, 09:05:36 pm by roamer_1 »

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #124 on: January 20, 2020, 09:05:41 pm »
I do not suppose Tump to be doing nothing... I submit he is in bed with the globalist moderates. Thus his judges, vetted throug McConnell, are just activists of another flavor, and I will bet money that flavor is NOT Conservative.

Trump's judges are getting vetted by the Federalist Society, not by McConnell.  In any case, if you truly believe your bolded language is true, then there is absolutely no hope anyway.  Because if the judges being pushed by the Federalist Society are just activists of another flavor as you say, then we have no other pool of conservative judges anywhere, and we're doomed to an activist, progressive court no matter who we elect.  And that kind of a court can bowl over the Tea Party at the federal or state level, and barely register a speed bump.

As a more than 30 year member of the Federalist Society myself, I personally am quite certain you are wrong about that.  Not every appointee is a hard core judicial conservative, but Trump is absolutely skimming the cream of the crop of those judicial candidates most conservative lawyers like me would love to see on the Court.  And I say that having read many thousands of court decisions in my time practicing law.

By the way, membership in the Federalist Society is not restricted just to lawyers.  Anyone can join and attend the National Convention.  You might be pleasantly surprised at what you might hear there.

https://fedsoc.org/about-us
« Last Edit: January 20, 2020, 09:08:28 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »