Author Topic: Astrogate fallout: Carlos Beltran out as Mets manager  (Read 1002 times)

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
Astrogate fallout: Carlos Beltran out as Mets manager
« on: January 16, 2020, 06:54:51 pm »
Multiple Reports

On the same day the Mets planned to rename the road to their spring training complex after Hall of Famer Mike Piazza, Carlos Beltran stepped down as the Mets' new manager. He's the third manager out in the wake of the Astros' electronic sign-stealing scandal, and the first never to get to manager a major league game since Wally Backman was forced out as the new Diamondbacks manager in 2004 over assorted legal issues including domestic violence.

Beltran was the only Astros player named in commissioner Rob Manfred's report on their off-field electronic sign-stealing scheme. He's thought to have partnered with then-Astros bench coach/now-oustered Red Sox manager Alex Cora in devising the apparatus including either an installed or modified camera behind center field transmitting signs to monitors in the clubhouse near the dugout.

Yahoo! Sports's Tim Brown first broke the story, with immediate following up from ESPN's Jeff Passan, USA Today's Bob Nightengale, and MLB Trade Rumours's Steve Adams. Beltran's resignation also likely saves the Mets a financial headache, since if the team chose to fire him, instead, they'd have to pay the rest of two deposed managers' contracts. The Mets fired Mickey Callaway after the 2019 regular season.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Re: Astrogate fallout: Carlos Beltran out as Mets manager
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2020, 07:00:15 pm »
LOL!  Well, that ends the Trifecta.   I can sleep tonight.    :laugh:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2020, 07:22:37 pm »
LOL!  Well, that ends the Trifecta.   I can sleep tonight.    :laugh:
@DCPatriot

There's a rumour now that ESPN's Jessica Mendoza---who also works as a Mets advisor---may face the guillotine, after she attacked Mike Fiers for blowing the public whistle on Astrogate. I'd written late in 2019 about the conflict of interest involved when reporters (actual or alleged) also work as team advisors. Now Mendoza may get herself executed over it.

Said she: To go public, yeah, that didn't sit well with me. Honestly, it made me sad for the sport, that that's how this all got found out. This wasn't something that MLB naturally investigated, or that even other teams complained about ... but that it came from within. It was a player that was a part of it, that benefited from it during the regular season when he was a part of the team.

Say I: There actually were whisperings about it for the last couple of years among numerous players and others inside baseball. As a reporter myself for a very long time, I can tell you this: You could have a room full of sources on something that big but unless you can find just one who's willing to put his or her name on the record, your editors won't let you put so much as a "Guess what" into print anymore, not if they're scrupulous, whether you have ten or ten hundred deep-cover sources. Especially from inside a place where the culture's demand to keep your big yap shut or else is as powerful as it is in professional team sports---or, say, police work.

I've alluded to the 1960s-early 1970s rampant corruption in the New York police department. I knew well enough that the whisperings about that corruption were real and loud but until even one cop was willing to go on the public record all it would be was whisperings, so far as editors were concerned. That's why it took until two cops, Frank Serpico and David Durk, who'd been trying to fight corruption from the inside until they'd beaten their heads against their last walls (Durk was well connected in the city but every one of his connections suddenly quaked over the idea of busting police corruption open), finally took it to the New York Times in 1971, before anything could or would be done.

Who knows how many walls Fiers beat his own head against about Astrogate until he finally decided the headache was too strong to keep him from taking it to The Athletic?

And who knows how many baseball reporters aware of all the whisperings and talking to a pile enough of players unwilling to go on record beat their heads against the walls until Fiers finally blew the whistle publicly?

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2020, 07:44:47 pm »
@EasyAce

Read that today about the female 'reporter'.  Interesting that she would get axed over a comment/opinion.

That said, let me suggest that there's no way Cora didn't have help in Fenway Park.  Yet, nobody seems to be talking.

They need to question everybody who ever had a connection to the Red Sox for the past two seasons.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2020, 07:55:18 pm »
@EasyAce

Read that today about the female 'reporter'.  Interesting that she would get axed over a comment/opinion.
She hasn't been canned yet. I'm watching closely. But she wouldn't be fired over a mere opinion; she'd likely be fired over the aforesaid conflict of interest because her commentary brought it too much into troublesome focus.

It'd be like me, in my days as a newspaper or radio reporter, having a a conflict of interest if I was hired concurrently as a political party consultant when I was supposed to cover politics objectively, or if I got hired as, say, a police advisor or something like that.

That said, let me suggest that there's no way Cora didn't have help in Fenway Park.  Yet, nobody seems to be talking.
Publicly, not yet. Manfred's investigation into the Red Sox Reconnaissance Ring is still ongoing.

They need to question everybody who ever had a connection to the Red Sox for the past two seasons.
Far as I know, they are, just as they did involving the Astros.

To answer one point you raised elsewhere, all the players talking to investigators about both Astrogate and Soxgate were handed immunity from discipline in return for spilling. Beltran's the exception because he's believed to be Alex Cora's co-instigator/co-developer of the idea behind the apparatus (the installed/altered camera, the monitors in the clubhouse) the Astro Intelligence Agency used.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2020, 07:58:33 pm by EasyAce »

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2020, 10:50:36 pm »
Twitter has lost its mind, but of course, that is a redundant thing to say.

Now, there are buzzers everywhere.

Jeez..........

A photo comes out with Josh Reddick, showing a piece of confetti stick to his necklace, and the Twitterverse says "band-aid holding onto a buzzer wire".
Reddick's wife tweets out that it is, in fact, confetti and a necklace, whereas Twitterverse then responds, "How can we trust you now, you are all cheaters?"

Oh my, is this going to be fun, or what?

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2020, 10:58:59 pm »
Twitter has lost its mind, but of course, that is a redundant thing to say.

Now, there are buzzers everywhere.

Jeez..........

A photo comes out with Josh Reddick, showing a piece of confetti stick to his necklace, and the Twitterverse says "band-aid holding onto a buzzer wire".
Reddick's wife tweets out that it is, in fact, confetti and a necklace, whereas Twitterverse then responds, "How can we trust you now, you are all cheaters?"

Oh my, is this going to be fun, or what?
@GrouchoTex

I couldn't help remembering yet again the ancient complaint of then-Hell's Angels president Sonny Barger, about their not exactly fawning press coverage, and I think it's wise to apply it to Astrosoxgate, too: All that bullshit, hell, ain't the truth bad enough for 'em?

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2020, 11:18:47 pm »
I distinctly remember a playoff game involving the Astros, where Bregman accidently pulled something out of his pants pocket in-between pitches outside the box.  He sheepishly looked at his dugout while he turned his back to the umpire and put it away.

...said it was an electronic device immediately.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2020, 11:28:29 pm »
I distinctly remember a playoff game involving the Astros, where Bregman accidently pulled something out of his pants pocket in-between pitches outside the box.  He sheepishly looked at his dugout while he turned his back to the umpire and put it away.

...said it was an electronic device immediately.
@DCPatriot
It's not impossible, but we don't really know. Yet.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2020, 12:21:13 am »
@GrouchoTex

I couldn't help remembering yet again the ancient complaint of then-Hell's Angels president Sonny Barger, about their not exactly fawning press coverage, and I think it's wise to apply it to Astrosoxgate, too: All that bullshit, hell, ain't the truth bad enough for 'em?

@EasyAce

😎
Yep, that sums it up pretty well.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2020, 01:30:13 am »
Buzzergate is now on... I saw some of those pictures too, it is claimed.

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2020, 12:57:00 pm »

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2020, 01:49:47 pm »
@DCPatriot
It's not impossible, but we don't really know. Yet.

MLB did make a statement that they investigated that as well, but found no evidence.
Like you said before, bad enough what is true, let alone grasping for straws.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2020, 03:11:05 pm »

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2020, 05:51:39 pm »

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2020, 10:45:24 pm »

@DCPatriot
I saw that hit the Web running yesterday and thought the plots might thicken even more.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2020, 10:51:33 pm »
@DCPatriot

I am on my work computer, which may be why this is happening, but I can't see your last 2 post.
I'll check on my home computer later.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2020, 07:00:22 pm »
In regards to the 2017 post season Astros home and road splits, some of the Astros faitful have put out the opposing teams home and road splits for the post season, and it's not as damning to the Astros as it first appears.
All teams (Astros included) did better at the plate than on the road throughout the postseason in 2017.
Not a real shock.