Author Topic: Coronavirus, comprehensive and updates discussion  (Read 77995 times)

Offline Neverdul

• Moderator Gubernatorial and State Races
Re: Coronavirus, comprehensive and updates discussion
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2020, 12:45:31 pm »
@Neverdul .

Thanks for the full explanation.

It just seems like China has more than any other country.

Conditions in other countries in that part of the world are similar to China.

The 1918 flu originated in China.

@ bigheadfred

No one knows exactly from where the 1918 influenza pandemic originated but there are many theories.

One was that it started in Haskell County, Kansas and nearby Fort Riley. Some contemporary reports say was that there was a mass burning of garbage including pig and chick carcasses (not just leftover cooked meat but also dead animals) but weather conditions caused the acrid smoke to stay in the air for hours if not days and it was very soon after that many soldiers, over 100 started reporting to the infirmary with 48 young and seemingly healthy men dying that same March. But many also shipped out around that same time to Europe and then back again to the US where soon cities like Boston and Philadelphia, cities with ports and naval yards starting seeing many people die.

But while that is thought to be the 1st wave and the place where the disease was likely first identified as influenza, another theory places it as originating in China and spread via some 96,000 Chinese laborers who were shipped to the west coast of Canada and across to the east coast to be shipped to England and France to relieve soldiers from menial labor behind the trenches.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/news/2014/1/140123-spanish-flu-1918-china-origins-pandemic-science-health/

As to why so many influenza and other viruses originate from China, it probably has to do a lot with their love of poultry, both domestic and wild and other wild animals, the “wet” markets as they call the live animal markets where even basic sanitation protocols are pretty much non-existent, combined with very densely populated urban areas and much international travel.
So This Is How Liberty Dies, With Thunderous Applause

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2020, 04:45:17 pm »
Big story so welcome to the comprehensive thread...

South Korea:

Picture of the Day: Coronavirus Prevention Efforts
GIKorea | January 22, 2020

Coronavirus disinfection
Quarantine workers spray disinfectant at Incheon International Airport, west of Seoul, on Jan. 21, 2020, to prevent the advance of a new strain of coronavirus now spreading in China and other parts of Asia. ...

https://www.rokdrop.net/2020/01/picture-of-the-day-coronavirus-prevention-efforts/

North Korea:

BNO News
@BNONews
NEW: North Korea closes border to all foreign tourists to prevent an outbreak of coronavirus

https://twitter.com/BNONews/status/1219636065486753792

It looks very empty. Of course, I have no idea how it might look on a normal day.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2020, 05:18:28 pm »
China /  Science
Coronavirus weaker than Sars but may share link to bats, Chinese scientists say

Virus found in fruit bats is common ancestor of the two strains, study suggests.

New strain has unusually high ability to bind to a human protein, researchers calculate

Stephen Chen in Beijing
Published: 11:56am, 22 Jan, 2020

The new strain may be linked to fruit bats, Chinese scientists found. Photo: Shutterstock

The coronavirus
discovered in Wuhan may share the same bat-related ancestor as Sars, according to the latest study by Chinese scientists, which said the strain was weaker than the devastating 2002-03 Sars outbreak
but was still “highly infectious”.

The new virus shares a common ancestor with severe acute respiratory syndrome (Sars), in HKU9-1, a virus found in fruit bats, they found.

The connection with wild animals was confirmed on Wednesday by Gao Fu, director general of China’s Centre for Disease Control and Prevention.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PWA_4ssTuI#

Read more at: https://www.scmp.com/news/china/science/article/3047114/coronavirus-weaker-sars-may-share-link-bats-chinese-scientists

There's often huge hysteria with viruses, it be HIV, Ebola, SARS and so on.

Fruit bats in this case, a few years ago, there was something with fruit flies.

That SCMP, South China Morning Post, the newspaper of record in Hong Kong I am told has a lot on all of this.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2020, 06:03:01 pm by TomSea »

Offline corbe

« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2020, 07:34:23 pm »
Wuhan suspends public transit as coronavirus outbreak claims 17th victim

17 people have died from an outbreak of a new coronavirus strain that originated in Wuhan, China, in early January, the New York Times reports. CDC officials said Tuesday there's one case in Washington State.

The latest: Local officials from Wuhan announced that starting 10 a.m. Thursday, all outbound public transportation, flights and trains will be temporarily closed to reduce risk of spreading the virus, state media China Daily reports. Wuhan has a population of 11 million — higher than any city in the U.S.

Why it matters: Health officials confirmed that the pneumonia-like virus can be passed person-to-person, raising the prospect of more cases emerging this week as millions begin traveling across the country for the annual Lunar New Year holiday.

<..snip..>

https://www.axios.com/china-coronavirus-outbreak-six-victims-300-cases-6035c396-8b96-4b27-8111-843e95febb1e.html
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline corbe

No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline TomSea

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2020, 10:53:49 pm »
In times past, wouldn't it be appropriate to temporarily shut borders, quarantine potential sources of outbreaks, etc.?

I see that today China has essentially quarantined Wuhan.
At least they still understand how to react to contagion...

Offline TomSea

« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2020, 02:34:34 am »
Tom Cotton: China needs to answer for 'malfeasance' in coronavirus outbreak
By Julia Musto | Fox News

There need to be "serious consequences" for China's "malfeasance" in response to the coronavirus outbreak, Sen. Tom Cotton, R-Ark., said Wednesday.

In an interview on the "Brian Kilmeade Show" with host Brian Kilmeade, Cotton said that while there's still a lot unknown about coronavirus, what is known is that "the Chinese communist party has once again been caught red-handed covering up, suppressing, and censoring a serious public health risk."

"Which," he noted, "could be increasingly a global public health risk."

Read more at: https://www.foxnews.com/media/tom-cotton-coronavirus-outbreak-china

It sounds like this is getting to be a very big deal...

Offline skeeter

« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2020, 02:41:31 am »
In times past, wouldn't it be appropriate to temporarily shut borders, quarantine potential sources of outbreaks, etc.?

I see that today China has essentially quarantined Wuhan.
At least they still understand how to react to contagion...

Unfortunately the virus has a ten day incubation period.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2020, 02:52:15 am »
World Health Organization (WHO), Actually, I don't know why the article says they are delaying, if so, only until tomorrow, Thursday:
WHO postpones decision on whether to declare emergency over coronavirus

The World Health Organization says it will decide on Thursday whether to declare a global emergency over the outbreak of a new flu-like virus spreading from China.

If it does, it will be only the sixth international emergency to be declared in the last decade. These include the ongoing Ebola outbreak in Congo and the Zika virus in the Americas in 2016.

"The decision is one I take extremely seriously," WHO director-general Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said, adding that he was only prepared to make it with the appropriate amount of consideration and information "in an evolving and complex situation."

Read more at: https://www.cbc.ca/news/health/coronavirus-china-who-pheic-meeting-1.5436276

And the Zika virus, I remember that one as well.  The poor children who especially suffered.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2020, 02:56:12 am »
World Health Organization (WHO), Actually, I don't know why the article says they are delaying, if so, only until tomorrow, Thursday:
And the Zika virus, I remember that one as well.  The poor children who especially suffered.

Heaven help the people who’s health - lives - are in the hands of these fumbling bureaucrats.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2020, 03:27:00 am »
This is horrible here:

Wuhan virus: Rats and live wolf pups on the menu at China food market linked to virus outbreak

The Huanan Seafood Market came under greater scrutiny as Chinese officials said that the virus which has so far killed nine people and infected hundreds may have originated in a wild animal sold at the food emporium.PHOTO: EPA-EFE

Published
Jan 22, 2020, 6:13 pm SGT

SHANGHAI (AFP) - The food market where China's deadly virus surfaced was a smorgasbord of exotic wildlife ranging from wolf pups to species linked to previous pandemics such as civets, according to vendor information and a Chinese media report.

The Huanan Seafood Market in the central city of Wuhan came under greater scrutiny on Wednesday (Jan 22) as Chinese officials said that the virus which has so far killed nine people and infected hundreds may have originated in a wild animal sold at the food emporium.

Past deadly epidemics have been blamed on wild animals - severe acute respiratory syndrome (Sars) was linked to Chinese consumption of civet meat - setting the Chinese authorities up for potential embarrassment if lax supervision of wildlife trafficking is found at fault in the latest outbreak.

Read more at: https://www.straitstimes.com/asia/east-asia/on-the-menu-at-china-virus-market-rats-and-live-wolf-pups?utm_term=Autofeed&utm_campaign=sttw&utm_medium=social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1579689454

Straits Times as in Singapore Straits I think... anyway, one of the comments already touched on some of what this is about.

One wild animals and millions of pigs get wiped out I guess.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2020, 12:05:07 pm »
Nifty live blog by the BBC:   https://www.bbc.com/news/live/world-asia-51222034
Briton Thomas Crosby has told the BBC he was surprised there wasn't more screening as he travelled from Wuhan to London.

Authorities in Wuhan have since suspended all public transport into and out of the city.

Also, Breaking News Online: https://twitter.com/BNONews

2 more cities Huanggang, population 7 million and Chibi, city of under 500,000 next to Huanggang become the 2nd and 3rd cities placed on lockdown. Map and lots of info at the BBC website linked above.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2020, 12:10:41 pm by TomSea »

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2020, 12:40:13 pm »
China locks down two cities to curb virus outbreak

Wuhan (China) (AFP) - China locked down nearly 20 million in two cities at the centre of a deadly virus outbreak on Thursday, banning planes and trains from leaving in an unprecedented move aimed at containing the disease which has already spread to other countries.

The respiratory virus has claimed 17 lives since emerging from a seafood and animal market in Wuhan, infected hundreds of other people nationwide and been detected as far away as the United States.

Streets and shopping centres in Wuhan, a major port city in central Hubei province with a population of 11 million people, were eerily quiet after authorities told residents not to leave town "without a special reason".

https://news.yahoo.com/china-warns-virus-could-mutate-spread-death-toll-030352863.html
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2020, 01:02:55 pm »
Wuhan quarantine expands as Chinese fear authorities withholding information about coronavirus outbreak

more

As the uncertainty continued, Guan, the virologist who identified SARS, offered a chilling perspective on the outbreak.

“I’ve seen it all: bird flu, SARS, influenza A, swine fever and the rest. But the Wuhan pneumonia makes me feel extremely powerless,” he told Caixin. “Most of the past epidemics were controllable, but this time, I’m petrified.”
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #40 on: January 23, 2020, 01:07:38 pm »
Wuhan quarantine expands as Chinese fear authorities withholding information about coronavirus outbreak

more

I read they are cancelling New Years in many cities this weekend. That’s a big deal.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #41 on: January 23, 2020, 01:59:05 pm »
I read they are cancelling New Years in many cities this weekend. That’s a big deal.

Yeah. Lots of travelers and big crowds. Not to mention the importance, to them, of the event.

I read that this outbreak comes at one of the worst times of the year. But is there really any good time of year for a pandemic?
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #42 on: January 23, 2020, 02:02:21 pm »
IIRC correctly... I read about a year ago that China may be experimenting with viruses.

I'm sure it's just a coincidence.   :shrug:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #43 on: January 23, 2020, 02:06:26 pm »
The world needs a good pandemic every 75 years or so to decrease the surplus population. Since it seems to flourish in population areas with a high concentration of people I see several liberal american cities that could be affected and infected. SAn Francisco, LA, Portlanda. Lots of room for growth of a killer bug.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #44 on: January 23, 2020, 02:23:23 pm »
IIRC correctly... I read about a year ago that China may be experimenting with viruses.

I've made mention of that very thing. But I think they are too much the control freaks to put something out on the open market. They have no way of controlling something like this. And what measures they are taking now is too late.

They built those "ghost" cities that would be perfect for testing viruses, etc. Move a 100,000 people in. Quarantine them and let loose a bug and see what happens.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #45 on: January 23, 2020, 02:40:57 pm »
Yes

Beijing cancels all Chinese New Year celebrations as Wuhan coronavirus spreads
by Jordyn Pair · Jan 23rd, 2020 8:42 am

Officials in Beijing have canceled large-scale Chinese New Year celebrations to help prevent the spread of the Wuhan coronavirus. At least 17 people are dead and more than 600 confirmed infected from the coronoavirus. Both Wuhan, where the outbreak began, and nearby Huanggang have been put under lockdown. ...
link
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline skeeter

« Reply #46 on: January 23, 2020, 02:55:32 pm »

It's not that. The Chinese will and do eat anything. This is begging for some really exotic, lethal stuff. The government has to start cracking down on this national pastime.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #47 on: January 23, 2020, 03:42:12 pm »
China Locks Down 3 Cities at Epicenter of Virus Outbreak
By Reuters
January 23, 2020

BEIJING— China put on lockdown on Jan. 23 three cities at the epicenter of a new coronavirus outbreak that has killed 17 people and infected nearly 600, as health authorities around the world scramble to prevent a global pandemic.

Health officials fear the transmission rate will accelerate as hundreds of millions of Chinese travel at home and abroad during week-long holidays for the Lunar New Year, which begins on Saturday.

The previously unknown virus strain is believed to have emerged late last year from illegally traded wildlife at an animal market in the central Chinese city of Wuhan.

Most transport in Wuhan, a city of 11 million people, was suspended on Thursday morning and people were told not to leave. Hours later, state media in neighboring Huanggang and Ezhou are reported to be imposing a similar lockdown.

more
https://www.theepochtimes.com/china-locks-down-two-cities-at-epicenter-of-virus-outbreak_3213547.html
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline TomSea

« Reply #48 on: January 23, 2020, 04:25:59 pm »
Topic merged into the Coronavirus thread.

BTW, they are going to name the virus something, I saw, it already actually has a name, see below:

Novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV),[11][12] also known as Wuhan pneumonia or Wuhan coronavirus.[13] ('Novel' in this case means newly discovered, or newly originated, and is a placeholder name.) [14]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coronavirus

That's a technical matter.
Snakes could be the source of the Wuhan coronavirus outbreak
By Haitao Guo, Guangxiang "George" Luo and Shou-Jiang Gao, The Conversation

(CNN)Snakes -- the Chinese krait and the Chinese cobra -- may be the original source of the newly discovered coronavirus that has triggered an outbreak of a deadly infectious respiratory illness in China this winter.

The many-banded krait (Bungarus multicinctus), also known as the Taiwanese krait or the Chinese krait, is a highly venomous species of elapid snake found in much of central and southern China and Southeast Asia.

The illness was first reported in late December 2019 in Wuhan, a major city in central China, and has been rapidly spreading. Since then, sick travelers from Wuhan have infected people in China and other countries, including the United States.

More at: https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/22/health/snakes-wuhan-coronavirus-outbreak-conversation-partner/

I knew of a bunch of Buddhists from Mainland and Taiwan some time ago. A lot of those people were vegetarians, I respected that, I respect a meat eater too.

But, I guess, it's part of Chinese culture or medicine to eat all kinds of things....and it seems they are running to trouble over that. It's in the news often, where they import exotic animal parts, say Pangolin scales.

https://qz.com/874854/chinas-insatiable-thirst-for-pangolin-scales-is-fed-by-an-international-black-market/

And just the environment of all of this is why they seem to run into this problem with viruses.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #49 on: January 23, 2020, 04:42:04 pm »
He died of pneumonia but Wuhan is where this virus has hit hardest?  :pondering:  The article seems to address the illness towards the end.  So, maybe?
Home | News | China
Wuhan Activist Dies of Pneumonia, Contacts Not Offered Isolation, Care
2020-01-22

Environmental activist Xu Dapeng, who died of pneumonia in Wuhan on Jan. 22, is shown in an undated photo.
Photo: Cixin Tang

Veteran environmentalist Xu Dapeng has died of a respiratory disease with symptoms similar to the Wuhan coronavirus, 10 days after a similar illness took his wife.

Xu, who founded the environmental NGO Friends of Nature, died of pneumonia in Wuhan's Hankou Hospital, the group said in a statement on Wednesday.

Xu's death came just 10 days after that of his wife, also from a respiratory infection, at Wuhan's No. 6 People's Hospital, where he had sat at her bedside in the last days of her life.

Read more at: https://www.rfa.org/english/news/china/dies-01222020141741.html