Author Topic: Mexico not taking 'scandalous' violence seriously enough - rights group  (Read 350 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
World News
January 15, 2020
Mexico not taking 'scandalous' violence seriously enough - rights group
Drazen Jorgic

MEXICO CITY (Reuters) - The government of President Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador is failing to tackle violence that has pushed homicide rates to record highs and turned the country into a “butcher’s shop,” Human Rights Watch said on Wednesday.

Mexico has been racked by violence for years as successive governments battled brutal drug cartels, often by taking out their leaders. That has resulted in fragmentation of gangs and increasingly vicious internecine fighting.

Lopez Obrador won office in 2018 vowing to adopt a more conciliatory security strategy focused on the root causes of crime, in particular by reducing poverty and corruption.

Read more at: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-humanrightswatch-report-mexico/mexico-not-taking-scandalous-violence-seriously-enough-rights-group-idUSKBN1ZF021

Absolutely so, nobody should have to live in a country where this stuff is going on.

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
Re: Mexico not taking 'scandalous' violence seriously enough - rights group
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2020, 05:44:43 am »
The Cartel are just as vicious as ISIS and our president backs down on designating them terrorists.  They also are in every major U.S city.

Just recently there was travel advisories.  I wouldn't recommend any American go to Mexico on vacation.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2020, 03:19:59 pm »
It's interesting that if a Cartel is designated as terrorist and yes, that is what they are, it makes it easier for one to ask for asylum. So, in Mexico, that seems like it could produce a number of refugees.

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2020, 04:23:33 am »
It's interesting that if a Cartel is designated as terrorist and yes, that is what they are, it makes it easier for one to ask for asylum. So, in Mexico, that seems like it could produce a number of refugees.

Eventually we are going to have to do it.  We cannot continue to wear blinders about what is happening a few thousand feet south of the border.  Everything that happens there is our future if we don't stop it.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.