Author Topic: R.E.M. considering legal action against Trump for using their songs at rallies  (Read 438 times)

Online corbe

R.E.M. considering legal action against Trump for using their songs at rallies

By Brooke Seipel - 01/15/20 07:26 PM EST

It's not the end of the world as we know it, but it could be the end of using R.E.M. songs at Trump rallies, according to bassist Mike Mills who says the band is considering legal action.

After President Trump played R.E.M. songs “Everybody Hurts” and “Losing My Religion” at his Tuesday night rally in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, Mills expressed his frustration and announced the band is "exploring all legal avenues" to prevent Trump from using their music.

"We are aware that the President* @realDonaldTrump continues to use our music at his rallies. We are exploring all legal avenues to prevent this, but if that’s not possible please know that we do not condone the use of our music by this fraud and con man."

<..snip..>

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/478506-rem-considering-legal-action-against-trump-for-using-their-songs-at-rallies
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Online roamer_1

LOL! Now that's funny.
If he's paying the nick, which I am sure he must be, they can't do sh*t.

Online Hoodat

Their first album was good.  Maybe Trump should start playing Radio Free Europe.

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline PeteS in CA

LOL! Now that's funny.
If he's paying the nick, which I am sure he must be, they can't do sh*t.

I'm no legal beagle (nor an illegal one), but my thoughts were the same. As longs as appropriate royalties are paid, that's all, folks. I'm sure many bands are POed that Rush uses clips of their music as bumpers, so Mills can probably pound sand with the nickel or dime or whatever his share of the royalties are.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Online roamer_1

I'm no legal beagle (nor an illegal one), but my thoughts were the same. As longs as appropriate royalties are paid, that's all, folks. I'm sure many bands are POed that Rush uses clips of their music as bumpers, so Mills can probably pound sand with the nickel or dime or whatever his share of the royalties are.

That's likely right. The owner of the song is a publishing company, not the band... And the publishing company leased the song through a series of vedors, one of which finally leased it to the Tump campaign. It's a contract, and it is bulletproof, several steps removed from the publisher.

Online corbe

Looks like this one was actually filmed at a Trump Ralley   :smokin:

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
  IIRC when previous GOP candidates received requests from band to stop using an artists songs they went all squishy and rolled over like a dog and gave in.

I got a feeling Trump will tell R,E,M  to go back to sleep.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Online mountaineer

As I recall, Heart pitched a hissy fit when Sarah Palin played "Barracuda," but the campaign had paid the royalties, so there was nothing they could do about it.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
For radio broadcast, Royalties are paid to the owner of the music through BMI and ASCAP.  Until sold, the Royalty checks go to the composers of the music, and the artists get Schitt.  If a publisher purchases the Royalty from the songwriters, then that becomes the injured party if Royalties aren't paid.  I do not know the status of the ownership of REM's music.

Bottom line, a member of the band can't do squat about it.  It's likely the big-mouthed drummer has zero say.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline thackney

For radio broadcast, Royalties are paid to the owner of the music through BMI and ASCAP.  Until sold, the Royalty checks go to the composers of the music, and the artists get Schitt.  If a publisher purchases the Royalty from the songwriters, then that becomes the injured party if Royalties aren't paid.  I do not know the status of the ownership of REM's music.

Bottom line, a member of the band can't do squat about it.  It's likely the big-mouthed drummer has zero say.

Much of the song was written by drummer Bill Berry, although as R.E.M. shares songwriting credits among its members, it is unknown how much he actually wrote.

https://archive.org/details/remfromchronicto00bowl/page/88
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Polly Ticks

I got a feeling Trump will tell R,E,M  to go back to sleep.

****drummer
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra