Author Topic: GOP leadership: There aren't 51 votes to dismiss Trump articles of impeachment  (Read 466 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
GOP leadership: There aren't 51 votes to dismiss Trump articles of impeachment
By Jordain Carney - 01/13/20 06:54 PM EST

Sen. Roy Blunt (R-Mo.) told reporters on Monday that the Senate Republican caucus doesn't have the votes to dismiss the articles of impeachment against President Trump, who endorsed an "outright dismissal" over the weekend.

"I think our members generally are not interested in a motion to dismiss. ... Certainly there aren't 51 votes for a motion to dismiss," Blunt, the No. 4 Senate Republican, told reporters after a closed-door leadership meeting.

Republicans have warned for months that they will not dismiss the two articles of impeachment against Trump, predicting a trial will end with votes on either acquitting or convicting him.

But Trump revived talk of trying to dismiss the articles over the weekend, saying the Senate was "giving credence" to the allegations against him by having a trial.

more
https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/478080-gop-leadership-there-arent-51-votes-to-dismiss-trump-articles-of-impeachment
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline skeeter

Lets hope there are credible primary challengers ready to go against any republican senator who pretends this farce is anything other than what it is.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Optics:

DIsmiss.

Dems counter (along with their media mouthpieces) with "It's just partisan, they don't care about America, they just dismissed because he is a Republican".

Have trial, peel back the rock, expose charges for baseless, discover chargeable offenses by others in the DOJ, FBI, House, and a host of other agencies, remand those for legal action, find POTUS not guilty for lack of evidence of any wrongdoing.

That would put the cork in this nonsense once and for all, and do so in a manner that would expose the very partisan witch hunt that has led us here.

While the whole pile of nonsense should be thrown out, unfortunately it cannot. Especially in an election year.

Lies circle the globe 10 times before the truth gets out of the driveway.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

Why are Senators "giving credence" to the allegations against Trump?
Because their constituents are "giving credence" to the allegations against Trump.

Offline skeeter

Because their constituents are "giving credence" to the allegations against Trump.

More likely their big bucks donors are giving credence to the allegations against Trump.

Most of the republican party is typically less than sensitive to the wishes of their 'constituents'. At least outside of election time.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2020, 05:09:35 pm by skeeter »

Offline LadyLiberty

Optics:

DIsmiss.

Dems counter (along with their media mouthpieces) with "It's just partisan, they don't care about America, they just dismissed because he is a Republican".

Have trial, peel back the rock, expose charges for baseless, discover chargeable offenses by others in the DOJ, FBI, House, and a host of other agencies, remand those for legal action, find POTUS not guilty for lack of evidence of any wrongdoing.

That would put the cork in this nonsense once and for all, and do so in a manner that would expose the very partisan witch hunt that has led us here.

Totally agree.  The dems would love a dismissal just so they could claim that Trump survived only because of partisanship.  We have some very capable Republican senators that are going to have a lot of fun exposing this for what it is.

Offline skeeter

Totally agree.  The dems would love a dismissal just so they could claim that Trump survived only because of partisanship.  We have some very capable Republican senators that are going to have a lot of fun exposing this for what it is.

I'm sure there are those who will relish the chance.

Still there are others, like Lisa Murkoski and Mitt Romney, who will furrow their brow and exclaim how 'troubling' the charges are, knowing damn well the whole thing is a political pant load.

More likely their big bucks donors are giving credence to the allegations against Trump.

Most of the republican party is typically less than sensitive to the wishes of their 'constituents'. At least outside of election time.

@skeeter , it is election time.  2020 will be a referendum on President Trump.  His impeachment will be the only issue in Nov.  I agree that donors are telling Senators what they want too.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2020, 06:30:51 pm by Once-Ler »

Offline Smokin Joe

I'm sure there are those who will relish the chance.

Still there are others, like Lisa Murkoski and Mitt Romney, who will furrow their brow and exclaim how 'troubling' the charges are, knowing damn well the whole thing is a political pant load.
Murkowski, Collins, Romney, McCain

THere is always that cadre who will break ranks and vote with the Dems. I may have missed a couple.

(Do dead senators get to vote Democrat, or is that just in elections?)

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Optics:

DIsmiss.

While the whole pile of nonsense should be thrown out, unfortunately it cannot. Especially in an election year.

Lies circle the globe 10 times before the truth gets out of the driveway.

@Smokin Joe it looks like we agree a Senate trial is necessary.

Offline skeeter

@skeeter , it is election time.  2020 will be a referendum on President Trump.  His impeachment will be the only issue in Nov.  I agree that donors are telling Senators what they want too.

I am assuming republican senators should cater to the voters who put them in office, and not to those for whom impeachment is the only issue.

Offline libertybele

Murkowski, Collins, Romney, McCain

THere is always that cadre who will break ranks and vote with the Dems. I may have missed a couple.

(Do dead senators get to vote Democrat, or is that just in elections?)

McCain probably haunts the halls of the Senate.

Maybe Lee and perhaps even Paul might vote for impeachment.  It's hard to tell where their heads are at these days.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2020, 06:43:50 pm by libertybele »
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online roamer_1

Republicans have warned for months that they will not dismiss the two articles of impeachment against Trump, predicting a trial will end with votes on either acquitting or convicting him.

Good. After impeachment, the trial is automatic. Dismissal happens before thefact - That is the job of the House. He's been indicted, the senate is obligated to provide the trial - Which is a good thing, where the defense can be mounted, and the charges proven false.

Offline Smokin Joe

McCain probably haunts the halls of the Senate.

Maybe Lee and perhaps even Paul.  It's hard to tell where their heads are at these days.
One can only hope that whatever evidence is produced will be scrupulously examined for provenance and credibility. One can also hope that the trial will pull in information about the origins of the evidence, on whether the CIA, for instance was used even in the inception of spying on a candidate for POTUS to the benefit of another, opposing candidate, under an administration politically aligned with that opposing candidate, and if such activities were carried out for Partisan gain.

I think we all know the answer to that, I only hope there are enough surviving witnesses and communiques to prove it.
Properly done, I not only expect acquittal of the POTUS, but charges laid against the persons who perpetrated this abortion of justice.

C S Lewis

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Good. After impeachment, the trial is automatic. Dismissal happens before thefact - That is the job of the House. He's been indicted, the senate is obligated to provide the trial - Which is a good thing, where the defense can be mounted, and the charges proven false.

The President's supporters demand vindication after that Schitt-show.  Short-circuiting it by simply dismissing the charges will not do, at all.  It woild be taking Pelosi off the hook to boot.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline aligncare

Oops...unfortunately for democrats their constituents are showing up at Trump rallies wearing MAGA hats  :yowsa:

Online roamer_1

The President's supporters demand vindication after that Schitt-show.  Short-circuiting it by simply dismissing the charges will not do, at all.  It woild be taking Pelosi off the hook to boot.

Tough Schitt, there it is.  :shrug: :whistle:

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Tough Schitt, there it is.  :shrug: :whistle:

Schitt Happens.®   :laugh:
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Oops...unfortunately for democrats their constituents are showing up at Trump rallies wearing MAGA hats  :yowsa:
@aligncare
Are those constituents demanding a Senate trial rather than immediate dismissal of this witch-hoax?