Author Topic: David Brooks: 'Trump Has Made Us All Stupid'  (Read 5925 times)

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Re: David Brooks: 'Trump Has Made Us All Stupid'
« Reply #75 on: January 13, 2020, 01:51:21 am »
Don't you miss Frank Cannon?  I sure do.

Hell yes.   The guy was a marvel.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #76 on: January 13, 2020, 02:01:23 am »
Hell yes.   The guy was a marvel.
Guess he is still adjusting to beach life after the move to Florida instead of doing his real job on entertaining us.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #77 on: January 13, 2020, 02:03:38 am »
That's bullcrap. I have given him credit from time to time. When it was earned.

@roamer_1

For the love of God!!   888mouth
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline LegalAmerican

« Reply #78 on: January 13, 2020, 02:07:58 am »
and that response is why you are not to be included in the being stupid category as another poster declared.

:kisses2:

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #79 on: January 13, 2020, 02:09:43 am »
@roamer_1

For the love of God!!   888mouth

What? I'm on the record. Look it up.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #80 on: January 13, 2020, 05:19:01 am »
You do not even know enough to get it right.

No discovery was made in the Bakken.

It was how to exploit it.  And allowing pipelines to be constructed and environmental restrictions dampened certainly help exploit as timelines changed and costs were reduced.

There is a confidence factor that includes Trump's actions by industry.

It will not make any difference to you.

A Never Trumper will never admit Trump did anything anyway.

Do you need a donation for bullets for that rifle?
Hello.
I am a wellsite (exploration) geologist.
I worked my first Bakken vertical well in 1980--it was a fluke.
I worked my first Bakken Horizontal well in 2000.
I worked horizontal Bakken wells for fifteen years, did exploration work in the DJ, Permian, Paradox Basins and in Nevada for a bit, and am now back working Bakken/Three Forks wells again.
While the Bakken was known to produce in spots on the Nesson Anticline and the Billings Nose (structural features in the Williston Basin), what was yet to be discovered was this: that the Bakken would produce in much larger areas of the Basin, including the Elm Coulee Field in Montana, independent of structural considerations, so long as it had been charged with oil. That the Sanish Sand, in a relatively limited area of a downthrown fault block near the town of Sanish, ND, just below the lower Bakken Shale would produce, had been known since the late 50s, from vertical well production. That the Three Forks formation, underlying the Bakken in most of the Basin would also produce wasn't known, not until we started drilling horizontal wells in it, too. That the second bench of the Three Forks, where shows had been noted in vertical wells but not produced, would produce in parts of the Basin was not known until we put some laterals in it as well. That there was a lot of experimentation with everything from drilling techniques, tools, well configurations, rig design, etc. in order to exploit the discovery is a matter of record, and it has been great to have been present through all of it.

So you can act as if there was no discovery, but we'd all laugh you out the door. There were plenty of discoveries, the biggest being the concept of a true unconventional reservoir, where the hydrocarbons were distributed throughout a very large area of relatively low porosity and permeability regardless of structure, and that properly done, that could be produced at a profit. That concept is being used worldwide to produce oil and gas today.

As for development, it was continuing anyway, it just required more (and better) rail cars. Loading facilities were handling much of the oil being transported out, albeit the railroads and oil companies were coming under fire for a few rail accidents, not the least the Lac Megantic screwup and a couple of others, but in spite of those mishaps, nearly a million barrels of oil were being transported by rail, and much still is.

Trump put an end to the farce that was the "water protectors protest" holding up completion of the Dakota Access Pipeline, and that is now carrying a half million barrels of oil per day out. 90% of the people arrested in conjunction with those protests were from out of State, and that crap included three incidents where enclosures were broken into and active pipeline valves tampered with. The operators caught the action and shut down the lines before damage could occur.

The other area where Trump has helped is where there are multiple permits required on the relatively small area under Federal Control in the Williston Basin in order to construct feeder pipelines to gather oil and gas from wells on Federal (BLM) land. These are Obama/Democrat holdover regulations designed to make it more difficult for those who obtained the myriad permits to construct drilling locations, access roads, etc. and drill wells to actually produce them. Coupled with limits on flaring gas (a byproduct of oil production), and being unable to transport that raw wellhead gas to processing facilities via feeder pipelines  (which require even more permits to construct), production would have to be severely choked back or halted--hard to make money that way. So all that is being cleared up.

But to act as if Trump, a relative newcomer to the scene, is the only reason or way this oil is being produced is utter nonsense. To act as if there was no discovery made, when the USGS almost annually has revised producible oil reserves upward is folly.

Some of Trump's policies have facilitated getting that oil to market, which removes discounts and acts as incentive for increased production and continuing development (beyond enough production to hold the leases), and that has streamlined the process of getting that oil to refineries. 

Might I note, the Bakken 'boom' started quietly in Montana about the turn of the century, picked up in North Dakota about 2006, and continues to this day. Prior to that, however, Bakken oil production was a relative rarity, written off as nonproductive.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #81 on: January 13, 2020, 09:45:52 am »
Hello.
I am a wellsite (exploration) geologist.
I worked my first Bakken vertical well in 1980--it was a fluke.
I worked my first Bakken Horizontal well in 2000.
I worked horizontal Bakken wells for fifteen years, did exploration work in the DJ, Permian, Paradox Basins and in Nevada for a bit, and am now back working Bakken/Three Forks wells again.
While the Bakken was known to produce in spots on the Nesson Anticline and the Billings Nose (structural features in the Williston Basin), what was yet to be discovered was this: that the Bakken would produce in much larger areas of the Basin, including the Elm Coulee Field in Montana, independent of structural considerations, so long as it had been charged with oil. That the Sanish Sand, in a relatively limited area of a downthrown fault block near the town of Sanish, ND, just below the lower Bakken Shale would produce, had been known since the late 50s, from vertical well production. That the Three Forks formation, underlying the Bakken in most of the Basin would also produce wasn't known, not until we started drilling horizontal wells in it, too. That the second bench of the Three Forks, where shows had been noted in vertical wells but not produced, would produce in parts of the Basin was not known until we put some laterals in it as well. That there was a lot of experimentation with everything from drilling techniques, tools, well configurations, rig design, etc. in order to exploit the discovery is a matter of record, and it has been great to have been present through all of it.

So you can act as if there was no discovery, but we'd all laugh you out the door. There were plenty of discoveries, the biggest being the concept of a true unconventional reservoir, where the hydrocarbons were distributed throughout a very large area of relatively low porosity and permeability regardless of structure, and that properly done, that could be produced at a profit. That concept is being used worldwide to produce oil and gas today.

As for development, it was continuing anyway, it just required more (and better) rail cars. Loading facilities were handling much of the oil being transported out, albeit the railroads and oil companies were coming under fire for a few rail accidents, not the least the Lac Megantic screwup and a couple of others, but in spite of those mishaps, nearly a million barrels of oil were being transported by rail, and much still is.

Trump put an end to the farce that was the "water protectors protest" holding up completion of the Dakota Access Pipeline, and that is now carrying a half million barrels of oil per day out. 90% of the people arrested in conjunction with those protests were from out of State, and that crap included three incidents where enclosures were broken into and active pipeline valves tampered with. The operators caught the action and shut down the lines before damage could occur.

The other area where Trump has helped is where there are multiple permits required on the relatively small area under Federal Control in the Williston Basin in order to construct feeder pipelines to gather oil and gas from wells on Federal (BLM) land. These are Obama/Democrat holdover regulations designed to make it more difficult for those who obtained the myriad permits to construct drilling locations, access roads, etc. and drill wells to actually produce them. Coupled with limits on flaring gas (a byproduct of oil production), and being unable to transport that raw wellhead gas to processing facilities via feeder pipelines  (which require even more permits to construct), production would have to be severely choked back or halted--hard to make money that way. So all that is being cleared up.

But to act as if Trump, a relative newcomer to the scene, is the only reason or way this oil is being produced is utter nonsense. To act as if there was no discovery made, when the USGS almost annually has revised producible oil reserves upward is folly.

Some of Trump's policies have facilitated getting that oil to market, which removes discounts and acts as incentive for increased production and continuing development (beyond enough production to hold the leases), and that has streamlined the process of getting that oil to refineries. 

Might I note, the Bakken 'boom' started quietly in Montana about the turn of the century, picked up in North Dakota about 2006, and continues to this day. Prior to that, however, Bakken oil production was a relative rarity, written off as nonproductive.
I know your credentials quite well @Smokin Joe and worked the Williston myself for a number of years.

To say the Bakken is a relatively recent 'discovery' is akin to saying the Permian is a relatively recent 'discovery' as well.

Perhaps I am old fashioned, but I call a discovery a horizon where oil was found whether commercial or not.  Examples abound such as the many structures found to contain oil offshore but could not be commercially exploited.

Other than that, we have no issue and I agree with your analysis.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #82 on: January 13, 2020, 02:18:30 pm »
bkmk

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #83 on: January 13, 2020, 04:17:40 pm »
I know your credentials quite well @Smokin Joe and worked the Williston myself for a number of years.

To say the Bakken is a relatively recent 'discovery' is akin to saying the Permian is a relatively recent 'discovery' as well.

Perhaps I am old fashioned, but I call a discovery a horizon where oil was found whether commercial or not.  Examples abound such as the many structures found to contain oil offshore but could not be commercially exploited.

Other than that, we have no issue and I agree with your analysis.
I think our difference is only a matter of semantics.

Let me put it a tad differently, then. 'Discoveries' were usually a matter of formation involved and location.

If you'd 'found' a Bakken well on the Nesson Anticline or the Billings Nose, you might not consider that a discovery, because production was known, albeit not common, from both areas.

But that Bakken wells could be economical virtually anywhere in the deep basin and in Elm Coulee, is a discovery. It's one thing finding out a formation can produce here or there, in this field or that, another thing entirely finding out it can produce over 10,000 square miles.

It would be like saying the Red River development in Bowman County wasn't a discovery because production was already known from the Red River in the Beaver Lodge Field.
YMMV

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #84 on: January 13, 2020, 04:27:42 pm »
@Smokin Joe

Yes, he made it all happen, from the time he started his first campaign.  He has made sure he is on TV every day and that is his goal - keep causing turmoil every day so newspapers and general websites and news sites write/speak about him - again, every day.  He has no other goal than this.  Malignant Narcissist.

He has done this all his adult life.  Would use fake names and call newspapers telling them what "Trump" had done that day, so he would get in the papers every day.  Then got his TV program for more publicity.
He will find something else to keep him in the news every day when he is no longer president.

That may be what Trump does, but he hadn't made either Democrats (or the certain NT'ers Brooks was criticizing) stupid, intolerant, shrill, nasty, divisive, or any of that.  All Trump did was expose the nastiness, condescension, and divisiveness many Democrats already had towards the rest of us.  And the stupidity.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #85 on: January 13, 2020, 04:52:08 pm »
That may be what Trump does, but he hadn't made either Democrats (or the certain NT'ers Brooks was criticizing) stupid, intolerant, shrill, nasty, divisive, or any of that.  All Trump did was expose the nastiness, condescension, and divisiveness many Democrats already had towards the rest of us.  And the stupidity.

It’s kinda like our current situation. Trump targets and successfully takes out a prolific terrorist with a 30-year history of killing and maiming Americans and the left is worried Trump’s actions could inflame terrorists to kill and maim Americans.

Huh?

Online Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #86 on: January 13, 2020, 05:04:28 pm »
It’s kinda like our current situation. Trump targets and successfully takes out a prolific terrorist with a 30-year history of killing and maiming Americans and the left is worried Trump’s actions could inflame terrorists to kill and maim Americans.

Huh?

That's the argument I absolutely don't understand at all.  Soleimani was already doing all the things people are complaining that Iran might do in retaliation for him being killed.  The biggest problem -- and David Petraeus pointed this out in his statement about the killing of Soleimani - was that our deterrence had evaporated.  And the reason it had evaporated was that the Obama Administration had decided that not offending/provoking Iran was the best way to get Iran to modify its behavior.  That absolutely did not work.

At the barest minimum, killing Soleimani put Iran on notice that we would retaliate harshly, and disproportionately, if they attacked U.S. soldiers, citizens, and assets, even via proxies.  So when Iran stared down the barrel of that gun while contemplating retaliation, they backed down.  And they backed down because that was the most rational course of action for them when faced with the potential for escalation that would be far more disastrous for them than for us.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2020, 05:05:57 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline jafo2010

• Dems-greatest existential threat to USA republic!
« Reply #87 on: January 13, 2020, 07:32:04 pm »
Major, we usually agree, but I do not agree Iran backed down.  The USA and their allies had several hours prior notice to prepare for the missile attack the Iranians showered on our positions.  Had we not had advance warning, we might have seen a score or more casualties.  And I do not believe the Iranians have been taught a lesson.

I fully expect with Russian backing the Iranians continuing the attacks on the USA.  I think Trump should levy sanctions on Iran to shut the country down completely.  Expect attacks this summer and this fall.  They will assume Trump's hands are tied with the idiotic and traitorous actions taken by the House.

The communists of today are no different than the communists of the 50s.  The difference is that they did not hold seats in Congress and were not in a position to harm America in the 50s like today.

Online Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #88 on: January 13, 2020, 07:57:31 pm »
Major, we usually agree, but I do not agree Iran backed down.  The USA and their allies had several hours prior notice to prepare for the missile attack the Iranians showered on our positions.  Had we not had advance warning, we might have seen a score or more casualties.  And I do not believe the Iranians have been taught a lesson.

United States officials used a secret backchannel to communicate with Iran in recent days, sending messages via Swiss intermediaries warning Iran not to retaliate so harshly that it would further provoke President Donald Trump, The New York Times reported Saturday.

The messages came not long after the Trump administration authorized strikes that killed the top Iranian commander Qassem Soleimani, immediately escalating tensions between the US and Iran.

The Wall Street Journal reported earlier Saturday morning that the Trump administration sent an encrypted fax to Iran just hours after killing Soleimani, warning not to escalate.

And how did we manage to know that far ahead of time where they were going to hit...?

https://www.businessinsider.com/us-swiss-intermediaries-backchannel-communicate-iran-2020-1

We killed the No. 2 guy in Iran, their absolute key player in the ME.  Everyone and their brother was expecting a devastating retaliation, and perhaps all out war with Iran if the U.S. then responded.  But we told Iran that if they did that, Trump would massively and disproportionately retaliate against them again.  So, they launched 15 face-savings missiles (out of more than a 1000 in their inventory), and killed nobody.  Then immediately told us that was it -- even after knowing that they didn't kill a single American.  Why didn't they then launch additional strikes to do some actual damage?

Now maybe they'll do something down the road...but of course, they'd have done all that even if we'd done nothing.  But their retaliation was about as perfunctory as it can get, and clearly far different from what was predicted.  To me, that's pretty much the definition of standing down, with the purpose of the missiles being not to retaliate in fact, but simply to be able to molify domestic demands for retaliation.  Oh, and they also lied to their people and said they'd killed at least 30 Americans.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2020, 07:58:40 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Online berdie

« Reply #89 on: January 13, 2020, 08:46:28 pm »
Now maybe they'll do something down the road...but of course, they'd have done all that even if we'd done nothing. 

Of course they will. It won't have anything to do with Solmeini (sp). It will have to do with what they have been doing all along.

Offline jafo2010

• Dems-greatest existential threat to USA republic!
« Reply #90 on: January 13, 2020, 08:50:33 pm »
And yes, there have been more attacks since the initial missile attack.  They said today five missiles were fired today or yesterday, and there was one or two more attacks with no results.

Look at the missiles thrown at Israel with no impact.  I think it is much the same.

But should one missile hit and kill Americans, and I say we take out one refinery a day until they end their hostilities, and withdraw anyone from Iraq and Syria they have deployed.

And then if they continue, I say hit them with every MOAB bomb in our inventory.

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #91 on: January 13, 2020, 11:59:40 pm »
And yes, there have been more attacks since the initial missile attack.  They said today five missiles were fired today or yesterday, and there was one or two more attacks with no results.

Look at the missiles thrown at Israel with no impact.  I think it is much the same.

But should one missile hit and kill Americans, and I say we take out one refinery a day until they end their hostilities, and withdraw anyone from Iraq and Syria they have deployed.

And then if they continue, I say hit them with every MOAB bomb in our inventory.
MOABs will take out general population, civilians. While we might be prepared to use that if need be, I don't think anything is to be gained by killing and/or alienating the very people we'd like to see dethrone the mullahs and restore the country to sanity. They are the force multiplier, and if you don't listen to the MSM so much, are agitating in the face of a nasty regime for change there. Keep any retaliation surgical, take out people up the food chain, specific military targets--something we can do, as we have shown.
We can always escalate later.

C S Lewis

Offline aligncare

« Reply #92 on: January 14, 2020, 02:14:54 am »
MOABs will take out general population, civilians. While we might be prepared to use that if need be, I don't think anything is to be gained by killing and/or alienating the very people we'd like to see dethrone the mullahs and restore the country to sanity. They are the force multiplier, and if you don't listen to the MSM so much, are agitating in the face of a nasty regime for change there. Keep any retaliation surgical, take out people up the food chain, specific military targets--something we can do, as we have shown.
We can always escalate later.

Right you are. keep the cockroaches scurrying for cover at every knock on the door or sound of a jet. After a few kills it won’t be long before they’ll beg for a negotiation.