Author Topic: Did 98.7 Percent of Non-Detained Asylum Seekers Really Attend All of Their Asylum Hearings?  (Read 347 times)

rangerrebew

Did 98.7 Percent of Non-Detained Asylum Seekers Really Attend All of Their Asylum Hearings?

I am a little skeptical — because my son and I did the math
By Andrew R. Arthur on January 10, 2020

The Transactional Records Access Clearinghouse (TRAC) released a report this week captioned "Record Number of Asylum Cases in FY 2019". One statistic therein really stood out:

With rare exception, asylum seekers whose cases were decided in FY 2019 also showed up for every court hearing. This was true even though four out of five immigrants were not detained or had been previously released from ICE custody. In fact, among non-detained asylum seekers, 99 out of 100 (98.7%) attended all their court hearings. [Emphasis added.]

I am skeptical that this paragraph really means what it would appear to mean. With good reason.

First, examine the paragraph as a whole, including the last sentence (highlighted above). The class of aliens that is referenced is "asylum seekers whose cases were decided" — they are the ones who "showed up for every court hearing".

https://cis.org/Arthur/Did-987-Percent-NonDetained-Asylum-Seekers-Really-Attend-All-Their-Asylum-Hearings