Author Topic: ‘We want to be a no-kill state.’ Newsom calls for end to animal euthanasia in California  (Read 1188 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
 â€˜We want to be a no-kill state.’ Newsom calls for end to animal euthanasia in California

By Andrew Sheeler
January 10, 2020 01:08 PM

Gov. Gavin Newsom wants California to stop euthanizing animals, and he’s ready to put taxpayer money toward the cause.

“We want to be a no-kill state,” Newsom said during a press conference where he presented his 2020-21 budget.

Specifically, Newsom’s budget calls for a $50 million one-time general fund allocation to the UC Davis Koret Shelter Medicine Program to develop a grant program for animal shelters, with a goal of helping local communities “achieve the state’s policy goal that no adoptable or treatable dog or cat should be euthanized,” according to the budget summary.

Read more here: https://www.sacbee.com/news/politics-government/capitol-alert/article239174863.html#storylink=cpy
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline PeteS in CA

Goobernor Nuisance is making Goobernor Moonbeam look sane.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Goobernor Nuisance is making Goobernor Moonbeam look sane.
He has been poontangin around with those showfolk fagers for so long now it doesn't surpise me he'd  save a dog and yet, kill a baby human.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
‘

Specifically, Newsom’s budget calls for a $50 million one-time general fund allocation to the UC Davis Koret Shelter Medicine Program to develop a grant program for animal shelters, with a goal of helping local communities “achieve the state’s policy goal that no adoptable or treatable dog or cat should be euthanized,” according to the budget summary.

@mystery-ak

That is a good idea. PLEASE take note of the words in bold. Also,consider that in many,and AFAIK,all animal shelters,they have a policy of spaying or neutering any animal they put up for adoption.

Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Treatable? Most anything is 'treatable', and a lot of money could bee pumped into prolonging the agony of some poor critter (and a lot made along the way) before it finally succumbs to whatever condition it's condition is in).

But humans??

Nah, those get killed for minor inconvenience, and not humanely, either.

If the governor's goal was to come up with the most insane policy, he may be in a near dead heat with Virginia's governor, but I think he might prevail.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Treatable? Most anything is 'treatable', and a lot of money could bee pumped into prolonging the agony of some poor critter (and a lot made along the way) before it finally succumbs to whatever condition it's condition is in).

@Smokin Joe

So,your solution is to allow healthy animals that could be adopted be put to death to make sure that doesn't happen?

But humans??

Humans are rarely put up for adoption at animal shelters,and frankly,it is a little insulting to animals to suggest such a thing.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Ruh Roh! PETA is gonna be in trouble if Newsom has his way.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
My suburban Calif town of 200,000 takes animals to the County run shelter, which DOES kill.

We also have a non kill shelter, operated by the Humane Society.

S fair number of animals are likely euthanized, for lack of an adoption.

My daughter, wife and I have never paid for our pets, opting to adopt.

When they get olld, we take them to a private vet, to put them out of their increasing discomfort.

We note, there are abundant young  big breeds, like Pits, when families realize they can't handle them.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Smokin Joe

So,your solution is to allow healthy animals that could be adopted be put to death to make sure that doesn't happen?
I never said anything of the kind. Adopt away.
Humans are rarely put up for adoption at animal shelters,and frankly,it is a little insulting to animals to suggest such a thing.
I never knew of any humans put up for adoption at animal shelters.

The practice, iirc, in California, is to permit the wholesale dismembering of unwanted humans so long as it is conducted under state approved circumstances, i.e. prior to natural birth. I understand some are even put up for adoption, too.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
I never said anything of the kind. Adopt away. I never knew of any humans put up for adoption at animal shelters.

The practice, iirc, in California, is to permit the wholesale dismembering of unwanted humans so long as it is conducted under state approved circumstances, i.e. prior to natural birth. I understand some are even put up for adoption, too.

@Smokin Joe

The story had nothing to do with abortion.

Offline Smokin Joe

@Smokin Joe

FFS. You can't put own a puppy in CAA, but you can slaughter babies. Just pointing out the insanity of the Left coast.

C S Lewis

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
FFS. You can't put own a puppy in CAA, but you can slaughter babies. Just pointing out the insanity of the Left coast.

@Smokin Joe

I am with you on "convenience abortions",but this is apples and oranges.

Online Lando Lincoln

@Smokin Joe

@sneakypete @Smokin Joe

C'mon pete.  Joe is commenting on the policy makers and their grotesque way of looking at things. 
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
@sneakypete @Smokin Joe

C'mon pete.  Joe is commenting on the policy makers and their grotesque way of looking at things.

@Lando Lincoln

I  have no doubt it seems that way to you and @Smokin Joe ,but to me it didn't.

Offline Smokin Joe

@Lando Lincoln

I  have no doubt it seems that way to you and @Smokin Joe ,but to me it didn't.
I see it this way. California is FUBAR. (I'm sure you know that term).
I was just pointing out the disparity between their policy toward animals vs humans. My bad.

C S Lewis

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
No Kill shelters seem like a nice idea, except when supply/demand issues forces the shelter into bleeding money.  90% of the ones I have witnessed have failed.

Can you imagine doing this on the scale of the entire state of CA? 

I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
No Kill shelters seem like a nice idea, except when supply/demand issues forces the shelter into bleeding money.  90% of the ones I have witnessed have failed.

Can you imagine doing this on the scale of the entire state of CA?

@catfish1957

It works because they is a nationwide chain they use to get rid of excess animals when there are too many in one spot.

Also,it's not really all that hard to get rid of tame cats or most dogs that have all their shots and have been "fixed". Yeah,dogs like Great Danes or pit bulls can be a little harder to find homes for,but for most dogs it's not a problem.

The last two cats I got from an animal shelter had been in the house of a hoarder,and I had to be talked into taking them. My old house cats had died of old age,and I needed a couple of cats to keep the mice and snakes away,so I went to the local SPCA. At that time they really didn't have any that could be adopted,other than the father and daughter Tuxedo cats they talked me into taking. The old tom was hiding in the part of the cage with the litter box,and had his nose stuck in a corner and was trembling in fear. Nothing I could do would get him to look at me. Not even when I picked him up and turned him to face me. He closed his eyes to avoid eye contact.

The daughter wasn't much better. She was laying in the cage by the door,and would just stare with the saddest eyes,looking like she wanted to die.

Against my better judgement I paid the money and took them both home because they were the only cats there that hadn't already been spoken for. Took a couple of weeks  to gain their trust,but they finally came around and were very nice,friendly cats. The old Tom only lasted a few months. One night I heard him jump up on the counter where the cat food dish was,and then I heard him moan and hit the floor. He was dead by the time I got to him. I think his heart just gave out.

His daughter is laying a couple of feet from me now,sleeping. She is very gentle and very loving. For some odd reason she never purrs,though. She does like to jump on my chest when I am laying down,and rub her checks up against my chin and nose,though.

All is all,I am glad I let the shelter people talk me into taking them.